Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Dang. I'll still give it a watch I suppose, but that's disappointing. Can you think of a recommend similar to Prison School? Also I'm dying for a second season, gimme!

And thanks for the input as well, bals and Enjeh.
    As I was saying, there's nothing quite like Prison School in my opinion, but shows with similar themes/styles of comedy would be things like:

Golden Boy (English Dub preferably)

Excel Saga (English Dub preferably)

Plastic Neesan

Cromartie High School

Daily Lives of High School Boys

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san.

Oruchuban Ebichu

Ishida to Asakura

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    As I was saying, there's nothing quite like Prison School in my opinion, but shows with similar themes/styles of comedy would be things like:

Cromartie High School
    Cromartie is probably one of the best mangas I've read humor wise.

It's a nonstop roller coaster of nonsense, while still not quite hitting the ridiculousness of Bobobo (which I also love, but the manga specifically).

Shoukoku no Altair Episode 1 - 8/10: I'm so tempted to go all in on this one from the get go... But the mishap of Arslan's adaptation has definitely doused my interest's flames some what. The first episode is solid enough and a decent entry into the world of Shoukoku no Altair. This is a thinly veiled recreation of a fairly historically accurate version of the Ottoman Empire during its growth, before it became truly recognised as an empire. Turkey (Turkiye I think they call it in the show) is basically a stratocracy at this point in time, with varying levels of military rules and adjudication. They share borders with a far larger, actual empire - the "Balt-Rhein Empire" (which in turn is basically the Roman empire). After a few quirky scenes, the show begins proper with the Balt-Rhein Empire accusing Turkiye of having assassinated one of their prime ministers. From this point on, our show's 'hero' - Altair, delves into political intrigue and attempts to prove that it was not his country's doing.

The first episode is fairly accurate to the manga, though bits here and there are skipped as I'm sure we've all come to expect by this point in time. However, the main interest here is for fans of the historical and faux-historical anime type, alongside fans of fairly realistic war-based anime, with political intrigue. They focus largely on character development from the outset and give a base idea of the scope that the story should take, over time. The art is good, nicely drawn as it can be for a b-list feature, with attempts at recreating the manga's gorgeous art consistently being made. The backgrounds are often quite eye catching and set the scene very well. The clothing is a nice break from the norms of a lot of anime shows, with its Middle-Eastern flair ever present.

I really liked the music also in the show, which gives a very solid feel of being in another country, again with a Middle-Eastern style of wind and string instruments being ever present.

The show is off to a good start, for what is partially a shounen type and I hope they do it some justice at least in the following episodes.

Made In Abyss Episode 1 - 10/10: This is possibly some of the most outlandishly brilliant world-building, production and introduction to an anime I've seen in a long time, outside of a Hayao Miyazaki creation. And everything about the first episode feels as if it would be right at home in a Studio Ghibli film. I can't put my finger on what it is about the way everything is presented, but I bought into the world I was introduced to immediately. It feels fully thought out and fully fleshed out, right from the get-go. You understand character motivations, you're curious about what the various in-world things mentioned are, you want to know what's beyond those clouds down below. I /want/ to know more, I /demand/ to be shown and told more about this world. I want to know /everything/ about it. I'm all in, I'm fully engrossed and fascinated.

The characters are fun, despite being fairly young children, they show genuine intelligence, ingenuity and integrity, alongside expected levels of childish wonder and curiosity. They're introduced in a natural way and you get into the flow of their conversations immediately. You get that they know a decent amount about their own world and their place in it. I didn't find any of them annoying or unlikable at all. The setting of the city and the orphanage they live in is fantastic, with a level of interconnectedness that is hard to establish at all in a single 20~ minute span.

The show feels like it's firing on all cylinders from the get go and is a masterwork in how to present and deliver anime. The art is clean and vibrant where it needs to be. The world looks lived in, it looks understandable if fantastical, the clothing makes sense, the technology is appropriate. Odd creatures feel as though they should always have been there, acting as part of the world, not exceptions in it. And then... there's the music. Holy shit this music is top-tier. But I do have a huge weakness for Sigur-Ros'esque, cold Icelandic inspired vocals and acoustic instrumentation. There's this ethereal, otherworldly, yet deeply familiar tone to the entire production and I may actually have to buy the OST as soon as its' available.

Basically, this show appears to be AOTY worthy immediately. If you haven't already... watch it. Now... I want more, right goddamn now.

Addendum: I realised exactly what watching this felt like to me now. It's like the first time I ever played Shadow of the Colossus. The low-key introduction to the world, followed by peril and the feeling of being in awe and completely captured by a land you'll never visit yourself. It's timeless and mystical feeling.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2017-07-10 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Addendum

10+ Year Old Account
    Aww man they translated it as Ririna not Lilina in the subs. Used to it being Lilina from the manga.

Anyways, decent episode. The composer is trying real hard I see.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Actually, as I was reading your post, I was surprised that you haven't read the manga for Made in Abyss yet.
    I have no idea why to be honest. It's just never come to my attention before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    db super 98 DANGERS' TRIANGLE. Them speaking of goku pacing himself this episode makes me wonder why he never did the same thing with god form as he did with ssj form before cell. also just a few random thoughts I've had recently. Does Goku actually have any techniques of his own? Everyone else seems to have their own techniques but Goku just has his strength and techniques he's learned from people. Since they mentioned the race that knows instant transmission at the tournament, why haven't more people learned instant transmission? Seems like Whis at least should know it. slightly too much thinking about a show that requires none. why did whis mention before freiza they need to learn to move their body without thinking then it was never brought up again.
    Gokus technique is his personal charm. About the instant transmission The reason why Goku can use the technique and nobody else except for that one race is that when he was recovering at their planet they kept feeding him their elderly and sick which game him the power

15+ Year Old Account
    Koi to Uso 02 - Okay, I already switch sides. Sanada is cuter. Though they're both pretty cute.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Gokus technique is his personal charm. About the instant transmission The reason why Goku can use the technique and nobody else except for that one race is that when he was recovering at their planet they kept feeding him their elderly and sick which game him the power
    it all makes sense now.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    koi to uso 2 - all aboard the lilina train! did they detail how they're "punished" for romancing outside of their paired partner? I feel like it was only glossed over in the beginning of the first yet everyone in the world acts like murder when he skips the first meeting/says he's not getting married
    [CENTER]

15+ Year Old Account
    New Game S2 01 - This show speaks to me on a level other anime don't. Sometimes at work when I'm stuck in my shitty cubicle I find myself wishing all my coworkers were cute anime girls just like the ones in New Game. Watching this makes me feel the same sort of feeling I had while visiting Japan. Knowing this show will never be real hurts me deeply.

I want to help Nene learn C++

- - - Updated - - -

Isekai wa Smartphone - This is probably the most uninspired isekai show I have seen yet. "Guy dies and goes to another world... but god lets him keep his smartphone lol". What a goddamn joke.

I might have watched this if the girls were cute but the art is as mediocre as the premise.

10+ Year Old Account
    princess principal - definitely living up to the hype of first episode...but man that ending song completely throws you off
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Aho Girl 2: This is everything that I needed from this adaptation.

I should really watch New Game.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Another anime I'm caught up on and want more. Seven Deadly Sins, good stuff. Season 2 started with some more lighthearted stuff, which is good. I like the character stuff. Love King and Diane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Would I be right in assuming you caught up via Netflix? 'Cos they seem to have the 4 OVA episodes marked as S2 for whatever reason. As far as I recall, a legit S2 still hasn't been officially announced.
    Yeah. It did feel off. The end of season 1 has Elizabeth ditching her family and leaving with the Sins. And then "season" 2 has them still there celebrating and having a festival, and Mel and Ban fighting.

Would I be right in assuming you caught up via Netflix? 'Cos they seem to have the 4 OVA episodes marked as S2 for whatever reason. As far as I recall, a legit S2 still hasn't been officially announced.
    a legit s2 was announced awhile ago. in fact it was announced at the end of the ova. apparently there's some event on the 16th that might release more information
    Last edited by bals; 2017-07-12 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, yeah. I honestly just can't keep up with stuff these days. I forget news even when I'm the one that posts it >_<
    Get your shit together mate.

Manic Gamblers 2: I like this show a lot, right now. It's very much so possible it could fizzle out if the games and tricks become redundant. It appears like there is some story line happening. Main dude is useless really, but that may be part of the package. Yumeko is bae and her VA makes my dick twitch a bit.

I thought so It's amazing how many people I've seen ask why S2 is only a few episodes. I blame Netflix.
    Netflix is absolutely trash when it comes to Anime. The worst I've seen was they screwed up the episode order (I think it was with Soul Eater), they had like, the order was episode 15->17->16 for an example, while the descriptions still were correct though, saying that the order was 15->16->17.

Which is odd, because their descriptions are usually screwed up all the time.

Also, I still can't get over that they had part 2 of the Persona 3 movie.

No part 1, just part 2.

That being said, am I doing something wrong with anime. General consensus seems to be that Psycho Pass 1 was better than 2, and 2 was basically trash, but I enjoyed 2 more....?