Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

[Megathread] Ghost Recon Wildlands

Hyped for this one it looked great/fun at least for me. Screenshots on the ign link cant really link here because they'll be kinda image spam, no target release year or date/window so its anyones guess.

http://kotaku.com/ghost-recon-wildla...rld-1711528124
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/...ands-announced

Ubisoft has announced Ghost Recon: Wildlands, an open-world, cooperative shooter in development at Ubisoft Paris, the studio that co-developed Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

A trailer for the upcoming title was revealed during the company's E3 press conference this evening. Not much other information was given, though heaps of targets were shown across the entire world, suggesting we may be in for a spot of globetrotting. It seems we'll be challenging the world's illegal drugs operations, with the trailer referencing South American governments and their collusion in these illicit activities. Cocaine is also a recurring theme.

The mission we saw in the trailer, White Hat's Drug Lab, can be approached in at least two ways. In the Stealth Option the players sneak in at night during the rain before blowing up the lab, while the Ambush Option sees them go in all guns blazing before stealing a shipment truck.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands gives players unprecedented freedom. Players can engage in the entire game solo or team up with up to three friends in co-op to roam freely in this gigantic playground. Players will have complete flexibility in how they tackle the game’s story, missions and objectives, as well as their approach, whether it’s stealth, distraction, tactical or frontal assault, or a combination of styles. As a member of the Ghosts, players face countless difficult decisions, and those choices have tangible - and often unexpected - consequences for enemies and allies alike creating dynamic and emergent gameplay throughout.

Story: Bolivia has become the largest cocaine producer in the world. The vicious Santa Blanca drug cartel has turned the country into a narco-state, leading to fear, injustice, and violence. The Ghosts, a legendary US Elite Special Operations team, is sent behind enemy lines to wreak havoc and break alliances between the cartel and the corrupted government.

“Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the first closed beta for this starts on the 3rd (this Friday) I've been looking forward to it for awhile though and really hope it lives up to my expectations.

Some Singleplayer showcasing:

Some people reviewing an early playthrough:

Will reserve my criticisms for when/if I'm lucky enough to play it this weekend though!

Should add if you have signed-up for the beta the invites have started going out already. (and I'd love a code or two for PS4)
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2017-02-01 at 11:36 PM.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

So far it looks good but i am reserving judgement, i'm always wary of Ubisoft games.

If anyone has any spare PC beta keys PM me i would be very grateful. Otherwise i'll be looking forward to hearing all about it here after its ended.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Xbox player here. Hit me up with an extra code if anyone gets in. Ill do the same here.

Looks like a fun coop game to just play around with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Looks like a fun coop game to just play around with.
    Yeah watching the second video I posted really helped me make up my mind. I think playing it and expecting it to be more like a GTA5 coop. will make it a lot more enjoyable.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10+ Year Old Account
    I have spare beta keys for PC version, pm me if you guys needed any.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by athlonmax View Post
    I have spare beta keys for PC version, pm me if you guys needed any.
    Would love one if they're still going, PM'd you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to give out keys, but sadly the "Invite Friends" button is nowhere to be found for me. Trying to resolve this so I can toss some out.

Extremely underwhelming game imo. Looks like absolutely ass, textures were dithering in the distance even on cars that were 60m away, driving any car/bike was pretty bad not to mention flying a chopper or plane..

I hope not many pre-ordered this bargain bin game :/
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Extremely underwhelming game imo. Looks like absolutely ass, textures were dithering in the distance even on cars that were 60m away, driving any car/bike was pretty bad not to mention flying a chopper or plane..

I hope not many pre-ordered this bargain bin game :/
    I assume you played it on PC?

My crew had fun with it, cause we were playing together. Personally I could see the fun in playing it solo some too with the collectables upgrade system but probably not the whole game. We're going to wait for a price drop at the $30ish range.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post

My crew had fun with it, cause we were playing together. Personally I could see the fun in playing it solo some too with the collectables upgrade system but probably not the whole game. We're going to wait for a price drop at the $30ish range.
    Im gonna wait for the price drop as well.

Deleted
    Well, it's a fun concept and me and my friends definitely had fun on it that's for sure, but the game isn't without it's flaws. For one, it runs pretty poorly for me, and for the 3 friends I was playing with too, frame rate was a bit skittish and seemed to drop massively when not a lot seemed to be going on, I got some pretty bad texture pop in as well.

Another thing I would like is that when you tag supplies that it does it for the whole squad, it can get a bit tiresome having to wait til everyone has tagged every supply, watching 4 people do the same tag animation on the same item one after another is a bit silly, I don't think making that squad wide would damage the experience too much, other than that, decent Ghost Recon game, I will buy it when it comes down in price a little, hopefully by then some of the performance issues we were having will be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post

Nope, xbox one because that's the platform i'd play it on with a friend.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Can anyone write a fast review about the open beta thats going on? I'll have no time to play it now, but i'm interested what have changed since the closed beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    If vehicle handling and damage will not be changed, I won't be buying it.

Example 1: I was on the peak of a mountain. My mission target was pretty much on another mountaintop a few kilometres away.
    What I did was get in a jeep, aim my car for the target and went in one straight line from one mountaintop to the other.

I ran off of cliffs, bumped into all sorts of boulders, rocks, trees, other cars, animals, people, ran through creeks and rivers, made numerous rolls, my squad was tossed out of the car a couple of times, and I made jumps down from enormous heights.

The end result when I arrived at my destination about 10 minutes later was just a small plume of smoke coming from the radiator. Job done. Saved a ton of time over using the expected trails/roads.

Example 2: I had a mission to interrogate a bad guy in the middle of a camp. About 8 or so soldiers guarding him.
    I took another car, drove straight into that sucker running over all the soldiers. After they all died I simply exit the vehicle next to my target and mission complete. Me, my car nor my squad took any damage at all.

One could argue realism vs fun, but this just felt stupid.
    Last edited by Nutri; 2017-02-24 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo's
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Played the beta no buy

The vehicle handling is atrocious,and since its a open world game, this a big part of the system.

Also forced to play squad intend of a lone wolf

- - - Updated - - -

Played the beta no buy for me thou

Cons:
    The vehicle handling is atrocious,and since its a open world game, this a big part of the system.
    Also forced to play squad intend of a lone wolf.

Pros:
    Graphics are beautiful and the game is well optimized and scale well with all kinds of graphic cards.
    For a gun nut this game seems to be well done(not the case but I can see why)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Played the beta no buy

Also forced to play squad intend of a lone wolf

- - - Updated - - -

Played the beta no buy for me thou

Cons:
    Also forced to play squad intend of a lone wolf.

Pros:
    Graphics are beautiful and the game is well optimized and scale well with all kinds of graphic cards.
    For a gun nut this game seems to be well done(not the case but I can see why)
    You can basically play lone wolf by just telling your guys to hold position somewhere out of the way. That's what I was doing when I wasn't playing with friends.

Definitely agree on vehicles though, I'll likely be using fast travel as much as possible unless handling gets 'fixed'.

So i have played a few hours now .... i might be wrong ofc. but is this not just Far cry with 4 man co-op options and a bit more fancy weapons ?

also agree with the posts above ... you can easy brute force your way from point a to be with cars or ... take one of the 70000 helicopters there is around
    not saying it should be a hassle to get from one point to another but could make it a bit more *risky*

Also i do not like the weapon discovery system ....

Edit: but the game runs pretty great on my older system

Deleted
    I spent the last day playing this but ya it's convinced me. It's fun. It's kind of Mercenaries meets socom (God I miss Socom and Rainbow Six games). I agree the method for finding weapons isn't great design. It's still got a good lot of bugs (Your team not firing in a vehicle, your team not getting in a vehicle, picking up a heli and getting 100 feet in the air and then randomly spinning to your death in clear skies.)

The threshhold for getting into it is kinda high. You kind of get dumped in the middle of nowhere with no objective. Your first story mission is an entire map away so you're bound to get distracted. once you rescue random rebel no. 46 you get your first target. By the time you understand enough about them you really wanna just shoot yuri and el polito. After about 12 hours or so you eventually realise there's a zoom button on the map...It puts the 25 story elements into perspective. You realise you need to start managing your time...or take a week or three off work.

It's flawed but fun if you like open world third person shooters. If you liked mgs Phantom Pain for the gameplay you'll like this. The driving mechanics are fine once you understand they were conceived by someone who doesn't drive but watched fast and the furious tokyo drift a lot. The flight mechanics are awful...especially for the helicopters...tail rotors don't do much of anything except when they're randomly broken and spin you out of control...it'll just take half a day before you inevitably die, so you may wanna make a cup of tea when it happens...trust me, you have time. In fact, that Sunday Dinner you always promised to cook...go for it :P

TLR It's fun if you like 3rd person shooters. I still haven't found an Alpaca I can climb mountains with. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an A-Team DLC :P