Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

It was made in 1933 and the Queen was 6 or 7 at the time.
    1933 + at age 6 or 7. Who the hell cares?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Doesn't a whole Royal family do a lot of charity work?

Why are people so much against Royals when Presidents get a lot of money too, aren't touristic attraction, often doesn't do any charity work and we have to pay for elections every four or five years?

It was a Roman salute I think, Mussolini did it first and then Hitler took it for his own. If I am remember well, even Priests and Popes used to salute this way back in time.

Also the same goes for swastika, isn't it a Hindu symbol? I know they have it on entrances to their homes in India(?), the only difference is Hitler angled it.
    That had been a way to salute a king or chancellor waaaaay before Hitler. There are even some videos of people hailing Hindenburg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Because presidents are elected by the people to do a job. The royal family are royalty because they were born into it, don't have any real power in the government, and yet are still getting paid money just for being born with the right last name.
    Because presidents outside America have a real power, yes? In most countries they don't, their only job is to represent the country and they often fail at it too.

In my country all the power President has is to postpone what Government already decided to do. Only once though, then he have to sign it anyway. In my opinion, unlike all the old politicians going into a safe pension of Presidency, Royals at least feel some kind of responsibility to not act like a complete idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    They also get a lot more money than presidents, iirc.

And... it's an entire big family of royalty and extended relatives that receive yearly dotations.
    Again, doesn't majority of royals do charity work? The money returns to society in a useful way.

10+ Year Old Account

And... it's an entire big family of royalty and extended relatives that receive yearly dotations.
    The British Monarch gives up the income from their personal property in exchange for a fixed annual income, so we actually make a profit off them as the former is greater than the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

...Royals at least feel some kind of responsibility to not act like a complete idiots.
    Not always applicable to the British Monarchy.

Coming from a paper that used phone hacking to get stories, this simply highlights how crap they are when they cant use criminal means to get "news"

Shit "journalists" desperate for a story
    Everyone kept saying MoP was shit, but it started at 10M subs. It's big loss was by months 4-6 into MoP, the total loss across those 6 months was only 1.7M compared to WoD losing 2.9M in HALF THE FUCKING TIME. 3 months passed and WoD loses 2.9M players. This is not due to "MMOs dying", but because Warlords of Draenor is a garbage expansion. Cata also lost 2.9M subs across the entire expansion. MoP lost 3.2M across the entire expansion. WoD lost 4.6 Million 7 months after it launched!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    And there is the OP being a prime example what kind of people are reading The Sun. As many have stated, it was a normal salute until Hitler changed that to his nazi salute. Since then, everybody hated it.

Nothing to see here, move along.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

1933........or way before it was the salute of "the enemy".

This was even before Hitler was Time's man of the year.

Do we want to start digging up what other nations outside of Germany were doing in 1933? There isn't much claim that anyone could be called "The Good Guys" for what they were doing back then.

Not that I expected historical context in The Sun, or any of the UK tabloids. Or some of the UK broadsheets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    And there is the OP being a prime example what kind of people are reading The Sun. As many have stated, it was a normal salute until Hitler changed that to his nazi salute. Since then, everybody hated it.

Nothing to see here, move along.
    Pretty sure I saw the story on the BBC.

Wake me up when she starts shouting Alah Akhbar and flying the ISIS flag, this is just dull.

Seriously? I mean seriously?

When the footage is from 1933 it obviously is the hitler salute, there is no point in discussing if it existed before. They saw it on newspapers and film, and perhaps they simply imitated it because they were children, made fun of it, or thought it was cool, or exercised it for diplomatic reasons. It does not matter at all, because even if they agreed with Hitler's politics or views in 1933 it is before any human atrocities connected to Hitler were commited.

Deleted
    I would have expected this to be from The Daily Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Seriously? I mean seriously?

When the footage is from 1933 it obviously is the hitler salute, there is no point in discussing if it existed before. They saw it on newspapers and film, and perhaps they simply imitated it because they were children, made fun of it, or thought it was cool, or exercised it for diplomatic reasons. It does not matter at all, because even if they agreed with Hitler's politics or views in 1933 it is before any human atrocities connected to Hitler were commited.
    So much wrong here. lol That very same salute was even used in the US until Dec 1942, a full year after Pearl Harbor, when the US Flag Code was changed. To say it was used just because Hitler did is foolish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not always applicable to the British Monarchy.
    I doubt they are bigger idiots than our former President Ivan Gašparovič, I will translate some of his few assertions:

"On the other hand I think sometimes Slovakia, unfortunately and sometimes fortunately, that unfortunately the manpower in Slovakia is still cheaper and now fortunately is cheaper."

"Serbia is country that dynamically started to develop it's own economy. It has a big potential in the future development of a tourism. Serbian coast..."

"I will respond to you with only two words: Yes, you are right."

"I disagree with those, who say that it is a law against constitution. It is only against two articles of constitution and not against as a whole."

"I traveled almost for 400 days around Slovakia, which is almost one complete year."

"I think socially and feel socially and think nationally."

"I want to thank you for your support during organization of a meeting with new head of a Catholic Church, the pope Dominic XVI."

We also had a funny bit with United Tumors instead of United Nations, it sound funnier in Slovak as translations are: Nation = Národ and Tumor = Nádor.

This guy has been elected by a nation, then reelected again and now we finally have a new President because this clown couldn't be elected again.

Deleted
    This is awful

I hope something is done about the Monarchy sooner rather than later or it won't be long before we're speaking German

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzfinger View Post
    This is awful

I hope something is done about the Monarchy sooner rather than later or it won't be long before we're speaking German
    Poe's law in full effect

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    So much wrong here. lol That very same salute was even used in the US until Dec 1942, a full year after Pearl Harbor, when the US Flag Code was changed. To say it was used just because Hitler did is foolish.
    You think that when 1933 newspapers in all the world were full with pictures like

it is foolish to assume that they did not copy it, made fun of it? You think it is more likely that they said "hey, do you know that US flag code" or "do you know that roman salute?" on their sunday stroll instead of "Have you seen those pictures in the news? That salute they are using? It looks funny!". I think I know what is more likely, and what looks more foolish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    Because presidents are elected by the people to do a job. The royal family are royalty because they were born into it, don't have any real power in the government, and yet are still getting paid money just for being born with the right last name.
    Given that what they get "paid" is only a % of what the lands THEY OWN make as profit there is no issue.

- - - Updated - - -

not donations in the slightest.. christ people talking about things they have no idea about

-snip-
    Tells you more about the nation and nationals tbh...
    (dont feel bad though, remember, G. W. Bush was reelected.)

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    You think that when 1933 newspapers in all the world were full with pictures like

it is foolish to assume that they did not copy it, made fun of it? You think it is more likely that they said "hey, do you know that US flag code" or "do you know that roman salute?" on their sunday stroll instead of "Have you seen those pictures in the news? That salute they are using? It looks funny!". I think I know what is more likely, and what looks more foolish.
    Hint: That salute was first introduced in the US in 1892, as was used up until 1942. So much for your "people used it because of Hitler" theory. It was the salute when pledging allegiance to the US flag. A very similar salute was used well before then. It was called the "Roman Salute".
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2015-07-18 at 10:45 AM.

Deleted
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dotation

Dotations. Apply hand to forehead.
    again. you have no idea what you are talking about. Try doing a bit of research into the civil list and how the monarchy is actually "funded" before sprouting crap