Poll: Science or Not Happening?

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    So to be clear, I support Science. If it is testable and repeatable I tend to acknowledge it.

So I want to know why do some people not trust science? Do they not see the changes in our world, it's thunder and Lightning here in LA in July, it never rains in July, last time was in 1839. California has been hit hard by the change in climate, and this freaky rain is because of the warn waters off the coast. Californian ocean waters are normally very cold, almost Scottish water cold.

So what's the deal folks. Because it seems obvious to me things are changing and not for the better, and I trust the Scientific answers as to what is happening.
    I work in oil. I have yet to meet an oil man who denied anthropogenic climate change.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Yea, I'm not convinced that the report was actually read.
    It is like 1500 pages of pretty dense scientific review. And that's just the WG1, the physical science basis for AGCC, not the adaptation measures and so forth that other WGs get into.

I don't expect most people to ever read it, but you should be able to run through the Summary for Policymakers section if you're interested/curious about the subject.

I know from personal observation that climate changes.
    Nevertheless, I find it funny that even among the pro-science people there are plenty of those who blindly believe, instead of questioning everything (like a scientist would).
    They simply substituted word "religion" with "science" and keep at it.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    I know from personal observation that climate changes.
    Nevertheless, I find it funny that even among the pro-science people there are plenty of those who blindly believe, instead of questioning everything (like a scientist would).
    They simply substituted word "religion" with "science" and keep at it.
    The difference being that the "dogma" changes with peer review and future studies. If you can disprove an established theory in Science, you get a Nobel Prize. If you try to disprove the dogma of a religion, things don't go so well for you.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I can prove man made climate change 100%. It was hot in my house today. I turned the A/C on. My house went from 72% to 69%. Bam. Man made climate change. The only solution brought to you by most liberal ideology is to kill jobs. get rid of affordable energy. Abolish the middle class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    I can prove man made climate change 100%. It was hot in my house today. I turned the A/C on. My house went from 72% to 69%. Bam. Man made climate change. The only solution brought to you by most liberal ideology is to kill jobs. get rid of affordable energy. Abolish the middle class.
    Not sure if sarcastic or serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Because the alternative energy industry will just magically build itself without workers, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Because the alternative energy industry will just magically build itself without workers, right?
    No where near as much, and it's VERY far from being affordable. America isn't Europe, and I sure the hell don't want it to be Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    No where near as much, and it's VERY far from being affordable. America isn't Europe, and I sure the hell don't want it to be Europe.
    So you enjoy a high poverty rate and lack of social mobility?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yeah develop new technologies and before you know it you're Europe. The horror.

Thread poll results pleases me. Bite me, deniers!

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Weeeeelllll. This topic is approached very rabidly by supporters. The "science" involved shows generous increases in "greenhouse gases". The unproven theories result in the conspiracy theory of Big Oil and Big Auto and Big Republicans conspiring to deny such a phenomenon exists. After reading the IPCC report ("scientists" hired to prove Climate Change) I can't buy into the "Theory of Global Warming/Climate Change due to Man-made causes". I'm sorry that this makes this a conspiracy to me. Unreliable protagonists + unreliable/disproven data + apocalyptic (the sky is falling!) "computer" predictions (GIGO) = skepticism.

Given the right data and probability I think I can prove that before the apocalyptic Al Gore scenario of global warming happens, a giant asteroid will collide with and wipe out all life on earth.

I am pretty sure the Earth can "weather" a rise in temperature over 140 years of 0.6 degrees Celsius. OMG the sky is NOT falling!

P.S. I hate it when pictures don't show up
    Everything you wrote makes me sad for the future of humanity.

I am pretty sure the Earth can "weather" a rise in temperature over 140 years of 0.6 degrees Celsius. OMG the sky is NOT falling!
    There's no valid reason to assume the best case scenario (and, in this case a .6 degree change over 140 years is the best case scenario of the best case emissions scenario) except to try and make it seem like not a problem.

Would you object to me declaring that there will be a 5.5 degree C change? If so, you'll be a hypocrite because what I did is equally as invalid as what you did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://fortune.com/2015/01/16/solar-jobs-report-2014/
    Renewable is already a pretty big sector.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    Everything you wrote makes me sad for the future of humanity.
    The poll man, the poll. There's a lot of sense right now. Some of these loud deniers appear to be the minority as people start to educate themsleves on the matter.

Deleted
    There is no climate change. Don't worry, after we're all dead, the planet can start over. No loss.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You're really brave standing up to a whole... 5% of voters.

In the last political poll that I saw, Republicans were around 20% of Gen-OT voters. The majority do not deny climate change, so shouting at a small percent of people is somewhat ignorant unless you are just trying to shame that small percent. And thats assuming the people who picked the "oil" choice were not trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah develop new technologies and before you know it you're Europe. The horror.
    I don't think you understand the difference between "developing new technology" and simply buying things like silicon solar panels. China is a good example. They likely have more panels than any other country, but they are not more technologically developed in the field than the US or Europe.
    Last edited by PC2; 2015-07-24 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    The poll man, the poll. There's a lot of sense right now. Some of these loud deniers appear to be the minority as people start to educate themsleves on the matter.
    saying you trust science and then say you believe whatever other scientists say is not trusting science. science is about trying to prove an idea wrong. The global average temperature has gone up less than 1 degree celsius in 130 years

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    thread poll choices are heavily skewed and bad.
    Last edited by zhero; 2015-07-24 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    saying you trust science and then say you believe whatever other scientists say is not trusting science. science is about trying to prove an idea wrong. The global average temperature has gone up less than 1 degree celsius in 130 years
    Not sure at all how this relates to me saying climate change is becoming more of a census. I don't blindly believe anything even science, but when I get the data and facts that make sense to me. Then I believe it.

Unreliable protagonists + unreliable/disproven data + apocalyptic (the sky is falling!) "computer" predictions (GIGO) = skepticism.
    Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ6Z04VJDco

Evidence for climate change without using computer models or the IPCC. And if you watch his other videos, he also complains about the apocalyptic predictions made by people like Al Gore as well.