Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Did my friend overreact? Store asking for ID

In my opinion he did and he embarrassed himself and slowed down the workers.

Here's the story. We are at the grocery buying meats for a Nachos, we go to check out and the total was 41.56. The cashier asks for his ID and at first my friend (who is black) was about to give her the ID but he asked why. She said because it's store policy. He asked where is the sign and she paused. My friend at this point was angry and he asked for the manager. At this point I offered to pay in cash for my friend so he would not waste the cashiers time.

Finally the manager comes and explains to him about how it protects him in case his card was stolen. He dismissed what he said and he walked out leaving the groceries. I don't know if the sale went through or not but he left the meats. Did my friend overreact?

He not only overreacted, he showed what a !@#$head he's. I see that kind of behavior at least once a week from other assholes, while going out.

Thats my opinion.

Edit:

I know some people are just stressed out because their day wasnt good and "unload" that on people that has nothing to do with them, but imo thats not a valid excuse, at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally overreacted. Just show your ID. It's barely an inconvenience.

Many stores have policies that require asking for ID if the cost is over a certain amount or if the card is not signed on the back. Yes, your friend overreacted, especially since the policy is meant to protect the card owner.

He overreacted horribly, it literally says it right on the back of most credit/debit cards to sign it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    did she ask the white people too or only him because he is black?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I forgot to include he did sign and he noticed the person in front of him wasn't asked for id for using their credit card for groceries as well

I'm white and if it's over $25 dollars I'm always asked to show ID

A lot of stores have ID required for credit purchases > $25.00.

So yeah, total over-reaction.

On one hand, I would personally never act like that. I'd rather just show my ID and get on with my day.

On the other, that "policy" at most grocery stores and retailers is only enforced at the cashier's discretion. Usually told during training to "ID anybody that has a suspicious look". I remember working at Walgreens years ago getting constant visits from my manager while I was working the register pointing out people that I needed to ID if they tried to use a card. Nine times out of ten they were ordinary looking black men and women. Not super dressed up, but not wearing rags either. Just normal people out doing normal things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get annoyed when they don't ask for ID... Because if my card gets stolen or lost, it means that clerk will fuck me over by not asking for ID...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The best part about signing a credit card, is the part where whoever steals it now has your signature to practice forging before ripping you off.

Your friend is stupid.

I hate race baiters.

He definitely overreacted.

Its been atleast a year that Ive been asked for an ID. Swipe, sign, and off I go. I havent even handed my card to a cashier in a long long time.

Lots of stores have machines to swipe your card without ever handing it to a cashier. Hell, quite a few grocery stores have self check out. No employee needed.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2015-07-21 at 01:53 AM.

Never been asked for ID on credit card purchases. I didn't even understand the situation first, I thought it had something to do with alcohol. I think if he saw that the so-called "policy" wasn't applied to ALL shoppers, he had a good reason to be pissed about it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

In Europe everyone has to show ID for CC purchases or transaction of any value. Nobody died.

Just show your ID and be done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    The best part about signing a credit card, is the part where whoever steals it now has your signature to practice forging before ripping you off.
    I write "see ID" on mine....... and they still rarely check! /facepalm
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I write "see ID" on mine....... and they still rarely check! /facepalm
    Apparently that's not even a good idea anymore or something, since they can just sign it then, and something about you're only suppose to actually sign it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a story right out of notalwaysright.com

Yes he overreacted and I feel bad for the cashier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Apparently that's not even a good idea anymore or something, since they can just sign it then, and something about you're only suppose to actually sign it.
    Yeah, heard about something like that, but never been an issue.