Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

Pride march labelled racist

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.667637

Swedish nationalists are planning a gay 'pride' march through Muslim-majority districts in the country's capital, according to media reports and a dedicated Facebook page.

The march, called 'Pride Järva,' is scheduled to take place on July 29, and will pass through Tensta and Husby, majority-Muslim districts in Stockholm's north. (Järva is the name of an adjacent area.) Husby was the center of the 2013 Stockholm riots, which began in response to allegations of police brutality.

According to the event's Facebook page, the march will include public “kissing."

The organizer of the march, Jan Sjunnesson, is the former editor of the far-right Sweden Democrats' newspaper, the Samtiden. The Sweden Democrats are known for their anti-immigration policies, and came out strongly in support of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten when it published cartoons derogatively depicting the Prophet Mohammed in 2005.

'Expression of pure racism'

The scheduled march has been criticized as provocative and racist by those on the left, with angry comments appearing on the event's Facebook page. Two residents of the Jarva area, Noah Nord and Emelie Mårtensson, claim that 'Jarva Pride' “pits two oppressed groups against each other,” and have organized a counter-demonstration.

One person to defend the march is evolutionary biologist and outspoken atheist Richard Dawkins, who slammed criticism of the event as emblematic of "the pathetic Left."
    What do you think of this? Is a pride march racist, if it's put in such areas? Why does it matter who organizes it?

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's labeled racist.... because of who's organizing it?

Sweden, you crazy.

I don't think it is racist for going through specific neighborhoods. I would be annoyed if a parade was going through my neighborhood though, it just causes a lot of traffic issues and generally makes my day shitty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooooooooo some people organizing this gay parade and now it's labeled racist?

WAT
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    If they get provocated by this the fault is on them and ultra left ppl should shut up and let them do their business there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welllll I wouldn't consider it 'racist', but definitely uh...'provocative'? I hope they bring some form of protection in case bad things happen.

Sweden is getting wayyyyyyy way too extreme with racist claims these days <.<

Deleted
    Genuine question, if people don't like/support gay rights, will parading through their neighborhood really change their mind? seems like an exercise in futility to me, all you're going to do is cause traffic and piss them off even more.

If we don't give Christians a free pass to shit on the LGBT crowd I don't see why we should give Muslims one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    The people who say it's racist are homophobic so catch 21 smart move that's what you get for trying to whitewash fundamentalist believes in your immigrant community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    If we don't give Christians a free pass to shit on the LGBT crowd I don't see why we should give Muslims one.
    Why not? We've been giving them a free pass on everything else while shitting on other religions. I don't see this changing anytime soon.
    Also Sweden. If it were anywhere else I'd be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    The people who say it's racist are homophobic so catch 21 smart move that's what you get for trying to whitewash fundamentalist believes in your immigrant community.
    Catch 21 is not a thing and Catch 22 doesn't apply here.

So they're defending the muslim's communities right to discriminate, against the crowd they discriminate against, and labeling that crowd as being discriminatory?
    That's just a whole lot of backwards going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    So they're defending the muslim's communities right to discriminate, against the crowd they discriminate against, and labeling that crowd as being discriminatory?
    That's just a whole lot of backwards going on.
    Not really. This isn't a case where you have to pick a side.

Pride marches in general are fine. No issue with the concept of a pride march.
    Deliberately siting your pride march to try and offend an ethnic group you feel will oppose it, though, is a dick move. Not because of the pride march, but because of your intent in where you want to hold it.
    Lastly, being a homophobe that would be offended by a pride march isn't exactly tenable, either.

Being annoyed at everyone involved, on both sides, is totally a valid option.

I understand they have every right to march, but why poke a landmine with stick if you don't have to?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not really. This isn't a case where you have to pick a side.

Pride marches in general are fine. No issue with the concept of a pride march.
    Deliberately siting your pride march to try and offend an ethnic group you feel will oppose it, though, is a dick move. Not because of the pride march, but because of your intent in where you want to hold it.
    Lastly, being a homophobe that would be offended by a pride march isn't exactly tenable, either.

In the case of this event one party is objectively more wrong from a perspective of civil libertys.

Your so called dick move is as much a dick move as counter protesting the westboro baptist church.
    "Deliberately siting your pride march to try and offend an ethnic group you feel will oppose it, though, is a dick move."
    That you would say this is mind boggling.

In the context of the event no there is only one party to side with even they can fight for a good cause once in a while.
    It pisses of the right people.

If its deliberately made to cause violence this would be another issue but so far I see no indicator for this.
    Last edited by mmocebc95cf0d7; 2015-07-24 at 11:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Does anyone seriously think that this "Pride March" isn't being staged purely to provoke?
    They have no business being provoked by this.

I have zero empathy for the people getting offended by it.

Which is the answer to 99% of the threads on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffa1 View Post
    They have no business being provoked by this.

I have zero empathy for the people getting offended by it.
    That has nothing to do with whether this is done purely to provoke a reaction. Of course no-one SHOULD react to this. But it is well known that someone will, and THAT is the reason why this is being done. Like it was pointed out, it's a dick move by douchbags trying to provoke other douchebags.