Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Question Leaving Kids in Hot Car

Hey guys!

Let me start of by saying people make mistakes, nobody is perfect and accidents happen. Anyway I'm watching the local news and some dimwit left their son inside a hot car. Even Walmart has a sign up that reminds you if you forgot your child. I recently moved down south and the heat is brutal. How does someone forget they have a kid in the backseat? How can they be so distracted?

Article : http://fox4kc.com/2015/07/23/family-...pure-accident/
    Last edited by MatthewOU2015; 2015-07-27 at 12:04 AM.

yes it happens. however without a source there's nothing to discuss except conjecture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Hey guys!

Let me start of by saying people make mistakes, nobody is perfect and accidents happen. Anyway I'm watching the local news and some dimwit left their son inside a hot car. Even Walmart has a sign up that reminds you if you forgot your child. I recently moved down south and the heat is brutal. How does someone forget they have a kid in the backseat? How can they be so distracted?

Article : http://fox4kc.com/2015/07/23/family-...pure-accident/
    Well from reading this story, maybe because it's not their child? Maybe they're not used to having a child with them, and just legit forgot.
    The worst is when it's the kids parents and they say "I was only going in for 5 minutes", and thus acknowledge they intentionally left their child in the car.

That's not something I'll ever understand. I can be somewhat forgetful at times, but there's no excuse for leaving kids in a hot car. No kids of my own, but I can't imagine ever doing that to my dog either.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've heard, "it can happen to anyone," but as a father of two, I can't go sixty seconds without taking mental note of where my kids are. Sometimes I'm tempted to double check that the kids are in the car while I'm driving it.

Leave them in a hot car by accident? I struggle to imagine any situation that could be so distracting that I'd forget they were with me, let alone still fail to remember a minute or two later. No, something is definitely wrong if your children aren't the first thing on your mind whenever you're out and about with them. It shouldn't happen to anyone.

If you're that preoccupied, stay home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    I've heard, "it can happen to anyone," but as a father of two, I can't go sixty seconds without taking mental note of where my kids are. Sometimes I'm tempted to double check that the kids are in the car while I'm driving it.

Leave them in a hot car by accident? I struggle to imagine any situation that could be so distracting that I'd forget they were with me, let alone still fail to remember a minute or two later. No, something is definitely wrong if your children aren't the first thing on your mind whenever you're out and about with them. It shouldn't happen to anyone.

If you're that preoccupied, stay home.
    I wish it was that easy.

For instance, every time I know someone is coming up to our apartment I goad the dogs into the bedroom and shut the door, then let them out as soon as they're gone (usually delivery people, like laundry or food). It happens a few times a week. In all the years I've had my dogs I've never forgotten - until this last Saturday. I didn't even realize anything was amiss until I decided to see where Godiva was and realized I had left them locked in the bedroom for an hour. Had that been a car, my dogs would have been dead by now.

It was a simple accident. I had gotten distracted by the laundry (Washio!) and completely forgot where I had stashed my dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I wish it was that easy.

For instance, every time I know someone is coming up to our apartment I goad the dogs into the bedroom and shut the door, then let them out as soon as they're gone (usually delivery people, like laundry or food). It happens a few times a week. In all the years I've had my dogs I've never forgotten - until this last Saturday. I didn't even realize anything was amiss until I decided to see where Godiva was and realized I had left them locked in the bedroom for an hour. Had that been a car, my dogs would have been dead by now.

It was a simple accident. I had gotten distracted by the laundry (Washio!) and completely forgot where I had stashed my dogs.
    One of my fiance's cats likes hiding in things. He's also a near mute; he might make a tiny squeeking sound if he's super hungry, but other than that he just makes various rumbling sounds like purrs and rubs at people in a certain way. He gets himself closed off in places all the time, and just stays trapped without making a sound; we had a big scare when he somehow got closed in a dresser and we only found him because she was grabbing a scarf before going on a two week vacation.

Forgetting things like that is horrible, yes, but it sadly does happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    smash the car window and urinate on them to cool them off.

There was a kinda sad case recently in New Zealand where a nurse (I think) left her baby in the car because she'd been that overworked and had forgotten to drop him off at the day care. Was eventually found not guilty of manslaughter because of the mitigating factors and the fact that she'd lost her son was more punishment than any jail sentence could be.

10+ Year Old Account
    When caring for a child you should be regularly checking on them/interacting with them. If they're asleep in the backseat then you should be regularly checking on their sleeping state too. I'll never get people who aren't spatially aware to the point where they forget that there's a whole car-seat + child in the backseat. I mean what the fuck is the point of a rear-view mirror if you're not using it?

I get fucking paranoid enough with my 10yo baby brother in public places and he's almost as tall as I am.

I'm not a father but I'm getting stuck with friends kids more often these days and I basically never let them out of my sight, leaving them in a car isn't something I could imagine myself doing. Maybe i'd be more casual with childcare if it was my genes but I really doubt it.

I don't really have sympathy for parents that do it, if I'm more careful with my dogs than you are with children then well, you shouldn't really have children. So many children have died here because parents will play the pokies (slot machines) and just forget about their children.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2015-07-27 at 04:12 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's horrible but people forget about things all the time, the difference is that forgetting about your kid in the car has dire consequences if it takes too long for you to remember it.
    Last edited by Ina; 2015-07-27 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post

You are right; it can't happen to anyone. I'm pretty sure those kind of statements are well crafted to ease a bit of the burden on those that killed their kids, while at the same time giving the rest of us a mental reminder to just look in the back seat while leaving your car. It's like how we keep talking about SIDS when in most cases there is nothing mysterious about what happened, the parents were idiots and their kid suffocated because of their actions. Same thing here; when this happens the parent pretty much knows they killed their kid. Do we really want to pile on top of them with the rhetoric?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I've done the same thing to my cats once. I think the fact that their lives weren't in danger is what allowed the accident to happen in the first place, though. If I left them in a dangerous place I'm sure it would stay in the back of my mind. Although, I'd never leave them somewhere dangerous to start with...

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids have always been left in the back of hot cars since cars were invented. The difference is that parents didn't leave back there long enough to die, parents these days are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Kids have always been left in the back of hot cars since cars were invented. The difference is that parents didn't leave back there long enough to die, parents these days are stupid.
    the stupid part is leaving kids in a hot car ON PURPOSE since ANYTHING could happen to where you could not go back and get them out of that hot car *in time* as you say

that said, i do believe that kids could be forgotten, however, a smart and loving parent would ensure it never happen again if kid survived
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2015-07-27 at 09:15 AM.

Deleted
    I'm getting more and more amazed to what lengths the american pseudo-humanism politics would go.

25K dollars of lieu for such a thing? Like the suspects are going to hide from authorities. FFS!

Next thing is what, getting sued for falling asleep and letting your newborn cry for few minutes because it woke up hungry?
    Or a police officer catches you walking around with your 3-year old midday at 40 degrees celsius.

What the couple did is indeed stupid and should be blamed publicly, but authorities should stay out of it. Do not get the court inside of your house, you'll regret it.

America is more and more replacing common morale with laws. Which eventually will lead to complete social degeneration.
    Last edited by mmocf7e361541e; 2015-07-27 at 09:24 AM.

Same with animals, would I see one in a hot car I would break that window instantly because fuck those owners.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't that persons kids but I have a rough time feeling sympathy for excuses for leaving animals in a hot car let alone people.
    They ought to get their car windows smashed and criminal charges for neglect, endangering wellbeing of a child, animal cruelty etc.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Wasn't that persons kids but I have a rough time feeling sympathy for excuses for leaving animals in a hot car let alone people.
    They ought to get their car windows smashed and criminal charges for neglect, endangering wellbeing of a child, animal cruelty etc.
    People can forget about it.