Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Hardcore speculative]- Ranged spec in the works?

As you guys may have noticed, one of the artifact weapons announced was a spear for survival hunters.

Many hunters are speculating that it is exactly what it looks like- a melee weapon, for what is about to become a melee spec.
    Other are less sure- it may be a spear that you throw, making survival into a thrown weapon spec, a change which may involve some mechanical differences or may be cosmetic. Or it may simply be a mistake in the preview, and it's someone else's spear.

Pretend for the moment that it's true- that it's a melee spear for a melee spec of hunter.

If that kind of thing is in the cards, then is it possible we'd see a rogue spec converted to range?

If so, what kind of range spec? Which one would convert?

Falsification / verification: A dev could tell us Sunday. Alternatively, when the rogue artifacts are released, if all of them are melee, then this concept is out. If one of them is ranged, then the associated spec is assuredly becoming ranged.

Thus far we've seen ONE artifact that we *presume* is for rogues- a dagger named "Fang". This is similar looking to the Fangs of the Father dagger set, and we've seen three skins of it. We don't know which spec it is for, though sub and sin seem each like good contenders. We haven't seen the combat artifact at all- in fact, rogues didn't get mentioned in the announcement at all.

Crazy talk? Possible?

Where is this supposed dagger? Because it wasn't in the stream, and it's not in the pictures or on the website.

I highly doubt it. But then again, i didn't think demon hunters would be added because it is horrible for both warlocks and rogues that they exist. So I could be wrong.

I always thought a rogue using a bow would be pretty neat. They can almost do a ranged spec now with shuriken toss and deadly throw, it just does half the damage and no AOE of a real rogue. A throwing ranged spec would be pretty silly I think. But who knows. I dont even know what to think anymore. I think blizzard is so desperate to draw in crowds in the short term they are fucking over a lot of people long term.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

http://blizzard.gamespress.com/World...-gamescom-2015

You'll need to "expand screenshots" (like 45 more or something), and then scroll down. That's the flat shots of several of the weapons, including three variations of "Fang".

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Possible certainly. But as of right now there's no evidence to suggest a ranged rogue spec is coming.

The only reason melee hunter is even a possibility is because of the weapon they showed. As you said, there's only a presumption that we've seen one weapon for Rogues, and it's the usual daggers that we all know Rogues are famous for using. So right now it's looking along the lines of "Same old, nothing to see here" for Rogues.
    There was no dagger presented in any of the content at gamescon nor on the legion website at blizzard. You are probably refering to the fire mage sword.

Also even if there had been a dagger, it doesn't really matter. There will be an artifact for every spec so rogue daggers are most likely for assassination or sub.

There is a dagger. It wasn't in the presentation, it is in the screenshots.

The three low-ish quality daggers are directly underneath, no fucking lie, sixteen lovingly crafted Ashbringers. It's a literal rainbow of Ashbringers, with plenty of other fun interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    http://blizzard.gamespress.com/World...-gamescom-2015

You'll need to "expand screenshots" (like 45 more or something), and then scroll down. That's the flat shots of several of the weapons, including three variations of "Fang".
    Fang of the first Nightsaber probably? One of the few named during the presentation, we never actually see the model during the presentation because they chose to show what it does to the cat forms instead. Does seem odd they'd give a dagger to feral druids, but honestly it doesn't matter because they could give it whatever stats they wanted in order to make it work.

That's a possibility, but wouldn't we see the matching 1 hander then?

Could well be though.

- - - Updated - - -

Importantly, whether that's our dagger or not- it's obvious that rogues will have at least one dagger. Right now everyone is sort of assuming they'll have two dagger sets (A and S) and then some 1 handed set for C, which could be maces, axes, or swords.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    As you guys may have noticed, one of the artifact weapons announced was a spear for survival hunters.

Many hunters are speculating that it is exactly what it looks like- a melee weapon, for what is about to become a melee spec.
    Other are less sure- it may be a spear that you throw, making survival into a thrown weapon spec, a change which may involve some mechanical differences or may be cosmetic. Or it may simply be a mistake in the preview, and it's someone else's spear.

Pretend for the moment that it's true- that it's a melee spear for a melee spec of hunter.

If that kind of thing is in the cards, then is it possible we'd see a rogue spec converted to range?

If so, what kind of range spec? Which one would convert?
    Just add a 4th spec stolen from Rift Saboteurs. Best Rogue concept class of any RPG, IMO.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Rogues will get a ranged spec when mages get a melee spec. IE never.
    Ragnar-Os! The only cereal with the Molten Core!
    BY FIBER BE PURGED!
    TASTE THE FLAVORS OF SULFURON!
    TWO SCOOPS, EXECUTUS! TWO SCOOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    hunter now have a real melee spec, rogue have some thrown weapon, mage could easily have a melee spec in fire. they use spellsword after all...make them use a fireshield and make fire a tanking spec.

Was it GC that said that rogues were the base melee class and were not expected to be changed often? At best, I would expect weapon normalization. Shuriken toss is more of a utility talent than a basis for an entire spec or style of play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    The daggers everyone is freaking out over are not for Rogues, they are for Druids.

OT, I don't think we'll see a ranged rogue spec.

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I love how people used to say Hunter in the above sentence instead of Mage, and now have to change their shtick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    I love how people used to say Hunter in the above sentence instead of Mage, and now have to change their shtick around.
    The funny thing is, in a class system that give hunters a melee spec, a ranged rogue and melee mage are extremely valid and viable. I don't think mages necessarily need a melee because each spec is so different as is, but it could work.

I don't think rogues will have a tank spec anymore due to DH getting one but I do believe with their info on hunters and warlocks that rogues will see something quite different in the future. There will definitely be a split between the agile bandit (stuns and quick, successive hits) and shadowstalker.

I don't know what to think about poisons, though. Either they'll be spread across each class, merged with stealth, or the third spec will be a poison/range build. IMO

Actually, it is true. Hunter is getting revamped on two of its specs: Marksmanship and Survival. Marksmanship is becoming the ranged spec without a pet, while Survival will become the melee spec with pet. Here's the source.

Hope we learn Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Hope we learn Sunday.
    The problem is someone has to ask randomly. Or they have pick that question over others low odds either way.

Quote Originally Posted by thesinister View Post
    The funny thing is, in a class system that give hunters a melee spec, a ranged rogue and melee mage are extremely valid and viable. I don't think mages necessarily need a melee because each spec is so different as is, but it could work.
    A spellblade spec would be the tits, though. Agreed it's not necessary, but boy would I ever play one.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys could just play hunter.