Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is rune of power still in the game? It's cumbersome and not fun.

It's annoying. No disrespect to elitists but this isn't about what is hard and what is not, it's not really that hard to be honest, just cumbersome and not that fun. "Put that thing there so you get more dps duuuuuude". OK, it's nothing too impressive or hard but where is the pew pew?

When I first saw it in MoP being introduced I immediately thought that's going to annoy so many people. Returning to the class now I'm honestly surprised it stayed in. I learned how to use it in 10 seconds and frankly it's easy in most fights to manage but it's still not fun.

So I wonder, do people really find it fun?

7+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not fun. Mobility is fun.

In any case, RoP isn't viable on many encounters due to constant dodging of mechanics and shifting around.

Deleted
    The whole talent tier is just there to give you 12% to 15% flat damage increase. I'd rather replace RoP and IF with talents that are more fun gameplay wise or offer additional utility. MI can become baseline again, either as a defensive or offensive CD, I never liked it's removal in the first place. Hopefully the mage class gets in-depth changes this time around.

I don't know how actually raiding mages like it, but I never liked it either. I remember tolerating it in MoP, but that was because I disliked Invocation heavily. Incanter's Flows was a godsend and made me unable to tolerate Runes.

However, there's something to be said about the fun of standing still in Runes and blowing up Tier 14 bosses before your initial burst is over as Arcane. Maybe good for some nostalgia at least?
    Last edited by isaac2314; 2015-08-08 at 01:12 PM.

It's not fun, it's just something we got to live with for now. Some were actively supporting it in the community, so here is the end result. Personally I hate the idea, but have no other choice so I deal with it(or did before I quit ).

I stopped playing arcane in MoP for this reason. Rune of Power is just....horrible!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Some were actively supporting it in the community, so here is the end result.

Wat. How. I'd like to know how their mind works.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Probably something along the lines of protecting their ePeens with their superior RoP usage, at a guess.

I'm still really not sure why it made it into WoD, either. I wouldn't expect it to stay in Legion, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pc And ROP were the reasons i rerolled to another class after 4 expansions. i'm too old to be dealing with annoying mechanics like those.
    They think supporting RoP makes them super pro awesome mages. #Hardcore
    Last edited by Archmage Alodi; 2015-08-08 at 03:14 PM.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Just blame the overly vocal minority. There was a chance to improve the class during WoD beta but some people on this site ruined it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't love RoP but it doesn't bother me either.

Do you people campaigning for its removal think that they'll just give us something in its place where we'll get 15% damage increase while running around being as mobile as we want? That's not happening. So if you don't like it, then come up with a different mobility-restricted type ability because we'll either get something that restricts movement or we just won't have the option of a 15% damage increase at all. And then everyone will complain about that new talent too because what people hate is not being mobile. And we have an option for that - IF. Almost as good, and you can run around all over the place.

Besides, RoP isn't even useful on that many HFC fights right now, not as much as BRF at least. I just don't get the hate. Do you realize how much room you have to run around in 2 runes side by side? On fights like Kilrogg with little movement, you only have to cast it a few times during the fight and can easily dodge all mechanics and kill the appropriate adds.

Having choices is good, and being able to find ways to get as close to 100% uptime on RoP for that 15% increase on fights where you can make it work or on farm fights to try to rank/increase your damage IS fun. And on progression or more challenging movement fights we have another very good choice in IF. What people should be complaining about is how useless MI is at the moment.

Not just Rune of Power, the whole talent tier is boring and unnecessary.

I prefered Mirror Image as a minor defensive cooldown; I dislike to lose damage on my main spells to give it to a pet that i can't control.

Considering that we won't have a new talent tier (lvl 115), Blizzard could rework the lvl 90 ones. But being realistic, I'm sure that Blizzard won't give up with Rune of Power concept. They are always stubborn about their "cool" ideas. It's a better idea to ask for some improvements than expect a complete revamp.

Mage Tower Rune could be a direction to go. Not exactly as it is, but it has the exciting feeling that Rune of Power should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    No, it's not fun. Mobility is fun.

In any case, RoP isn't viable on many encounters due to constant dodging of mechanics and shifting around.
    It's more viable then most people think, only 9/13m atm but use it on council, kilrogg, iskar, socrethar and fel lord.

In terms of fun, i don't know. I enjoy encounters and mage as a whole, finding out how to min max a fight is fun for me which includes working out how or if i can use RoP, It is somewhat clunky but the idea is good imo, eg, you meet some conditions and you are rewarded, the same way PC rewards us

Deleted
    It may be viable on some fights if all things go as planned and you don't get targeted with boss abilities like Mark of the Man'ari or Spectral Winds too often. I know every ideal scenario requires minimal and thought out positioning, and RoP reflects that, but is still incredibly annoying to re-adjust when needed. Ultimately, it's not a mechanic that people find fun nor is its purpose as a damage tuning knob appreciated in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Exil25 View Post
    It may be viable on some fights if all things go as planned and you don't get targeted with boss abilities like Mark of the Man'ari or Spectral Winds too often. I know every ideal scenario requires minimal and thought out positioning, and RoP reflects that, but is still incredibly annoying to re-adjust when needed. Ultimately, it's not a mechanic that people find fun nor is its purpose as a damage tuning knob appreciated in this day and age.
    Winds aren't a thing, the longest wind debuff is 7 seconds, the more annoying part is fire if people run across your rune i guess but even that doesn't really happen. For Socrethar, if you get mark you are talking about an additional rune, although it's during lust so you lose 1s from your post burn lust phase. I mean maybe for pugs or low end raid groups it's hard to communicate that you will be going to a certain spot with mechanics, for me it's fine.

If the damage gain was significant then i would probably have an issue with this, as so few players NEED that ~3% gain to kill a boss i'm fine with it being frustrating as we have another viable option

Its poor design, always has been. It makes me actually wish we had kept invocation instead. All you have to do is look at other classes, they have talents that are cool or fun or visually impressive, they have talents that help them overcome the shortcomings of their class. We have something to babysit, something to do dmg with in spite of, an extra challenge to deal with, I just don't get it.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are ways to increase the skill cap without limiting you to one particular location in the room. This should be achieved through rotational complexity. Add more priorities, more procs, but keep the mobility.

I hate rune of power. What I hate most about it is the timer. Making it instant cast and last as long as you have 2 out until you click it off would be a bit better for me.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    I don't love RoP but it doesn't bother me either.

Do you people campaigning for its removal think that they'll just give us something in its place where we'll get 15% damage increase while running around being as mobile as we want? That's not happening. So if you don't like it, then come up with a different mobility-restricted type ability because we'll either get something that restricts movement or we just won't have the option of a 15% damage increase at all. And then everyone will complain about that new talent too because what people hate is not being mobile. And we have an option for that - IF. Almost as good, and you can run around all over the place.

Besides, RoP isn't even useful on that many HFC fights right now, not as much as BRF at least. I just don't get the hate. Do you realize how much room you have to run around in 2 runes side by side? On fights like Kilrogg with little movement, you only have to cast it a few times during the fight and can easily dodge all mechanics and kill the appropriate adds.

Having choices is good, and being able to find ways to get as close to 100% uptime on RoP for that 15% increase on fights where you can make it work or on farm fights to try to rank/increase your damage IS fun. And on progression or more challenging movement fights we have another very good choice in IF. What people should be complaining about is how useless MI is at the moment.
    Personally I think that entire talent tier is a total waste of space and time. They could just delete it, the whole talent tier, and bake ~12.5% damage into the spec and you'd see almost no gameplay difference in HFC. The min/max part of RoP could be easily added in via interesting talents or a slightly more complex decision tree due to a new mechanic. I'd rather that row of talents offered abilities that deliver rotational differences/complexities that required thought beyond can I stand still/inside the rune nearly the whole time? No? Take the passive. MI is also extremely shallow gameplay wise regardless of its numbers. Countless talents within the game are more interesting and thought provoking and I guess not everything can be that but that doesn't change the fact that that specific talent tier is just Blizzard mailing it in. They could do better. They do it all the time however many classes/specs suffer from similar talent decisions that really aren't much of a decision at all.

The issue with Rune of Power isn't that it's tedious, bothersome or whatever else. The concept of knowing whether you can or can't utilize it in an encounter and how to utilize it correctly in an encounter is fine with me.

It's the simple fact that your DPS can be very much affected by the positioning of other individuals in your raid. To truly min/max it, it requires either your fellow raiders to play around you/it, or for you to be selfish and 'force' someone else to be the one to move or whatever else. Sure, you can get away with that, but it isn't good game design by any means.