Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I live in the UK. so no gun option, but It's only me, my wife and my daughter. and to get to my daughter's room I have to cross the path of the front door.

so I would simply make a beeline for it. I have a 10 inch commando knife which would likely get pulled out. to intimidate more then to use. I'm a big fat lad so if i saw me coming charging towards with a big ass knife.. I'd be out of there.

either way.. nobody really knows until in the moment. but I have no reason to doubt my father instincts and my typical response is fight over flight. I'm not a runner.

Silently put some clothes on, look for something that can be used as a weapon in my bedroom and confront them. No, I'm not trying to come off as Mr Macho Megaballs at all, but I know that there is very little chance that they are armed, and they will probably flee when they know they're facing resistance. Break-ins are rare, and are in most cases done by professional thieves with lots of tricks to make sure you're not at home. They are not desperate, are not looking for a fight, and will leave quickly if spotted. In the exceptions, where there have been confrontations between invaders and home owners, they know each other, the matter is personal, and both parties are usually long time criminals and drug dealers/addicts. As far as I know, I have no enemies to worry about
    Mother pus bucket!

If I was home? I would shoot them. lol

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I don't have a firearm or a firearms license. First thing I'd do is probably call 911 and hope that the response time is quick, all while trying to remain somewhat calm.

I'd probably also try and find a suitable weapon to defend myself with -- probably a bat. Just in case.

I don't own any fire arms. I understand and realize that I am personally not responsible enough to own them, so I would be pretty fucked.

I might start yelling "Black lives matter, I have a black friend, I am a white ally" and shit like that so the robbers might not hurt me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
    I don't own any fire arms. I understand and realize that I am personally not responsible enough to own them, so I would be pretty fucked.

I might start yelling "Black lives matter, I have a black friend, I am a white ally" and shit like that so the robbers might not hurt me as much.
    lofl. The best answer ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get locked up because police don't like violence against intruders/burglars over here.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the netherlands you're not allowed to retaliate I believe so I'd bet I'd just lock myself up in the bathroom. That, or scream for my boyfriend if he's at home.

I've always wondered if a relaxed stance works against them, like "ugh do you have to, oh well heres a wallet, and you can take this but you cant have my computer because I need my storage back" and just continue on gaming / modelling, if anything I could scare them off with a fake katana if they buy into my white flag. But I bet most burglars will be super hyped and pumped and will not respond that well to anything you do.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would call the police and get out of the house.

Deleted
    I would let the 2 dogs to their thing and then I would go for a baseball bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Feroxxy View Post
    In the netherlands you're not allowed to retaliate I believe so I'd bet I'd just lock myself up in the bathroom. That, or scream for my boyfriend if he's at home.

I've always wondered if a relaxed stance works against them, like "ugh do you have to, oh well heres a wallet, and you can take this but you cant have my computer because I need my storage back" and just continue on gaming / modelling, if anything I could scare them off with a fake katana if they buy into my white flag. But I bet most burglars will be super hyped and pumped and will not respond that well to anything you do.
    How frequent are break-ins there under that system?

I would shoot and hopefully kill them, then call the police to clean up the garbage.

Probably congratulate them if they find anything valuable. Breaking into my flat is pretty much the least profitable option in the whole building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina View Post
    I would call the police and get out of the house.
    I would do exactly this, though in reverse order, while picking my loved ones up on the way out. Insurance will cover any possessions stolen or broken and the police can deal with the people inside

It happened when we weren't home. Cops didn't do shit even though we knew who did it. The people were even bragging about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    That's so racist of you to assume the intruders are black.
    It's 100% not racist. Why do people not understand this?

I find it a little disturbing that most of these commenters do not own a firearm.

Any person trying to enter my home will be shot if they do not consider running away first.

Calling emergency services would be second.

If they know you are home and they come in the house anyway you're going to have bigger problems then them stealing your TV. We still have occasional burglaries here but they make double sure you're not home.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Thankfully stay in a nice part of town in a country who has gun control.

Again the Americans trying to be the hard men shooting then calling the cops. Fucking hell.

I live in base housing and there are a lot of flyovers, and the base police... plus the town police... plus state patrol... plus the local sheriff office... they're constantly patrolling my neighborhood. Plus there are dogs in every yard. You have to jump through a lot of hoops here to even have a gun. But it didn't stop my husband from bringing his knife and sword collection up here. Keep a baseball bat under the bed, plus a knife near by. I played softball for years... I know how to use the bat, and I won't miss. A ball, maybe! But a person is a larger target :P

On top of that... I'm awesome at going all dead weight and flailing.

I'm also a chronic lock checker. Meaning... I check the locks 4 or 5 times a night before I go to bed. Windows, too. Most of the time I forget if I've locked them, but a lot of it is paranoia, too.
    Last edited by Felicia; 2015-08-10 at 08:56 AM.