Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being populated around the 1400s is kinda of a pre requisite to not having castles :P

Are there any castles mention worthy outside of Europe? Like castles castles, not other impressive buildings (for example Great Wall of China, Taj Mahal).

I know of one in the US that is quite lovely and I've been there. The tourist guide said it's the only building in the US that comes close to an castle. I don't know the name right now, but it was in North Carolina (or maybe a neighbor state?). A 4-5 hour trip from Charlotte maybe? Belonged to some guy who got awfully rich (I think even the richest person in the US for a while) with ships and ferries somewhere in the early-mid 19th century as a residence for his family. Some of them had bad breathing problems and the air in that region was very good for them. Maybe you guys know the one I'm talking about, it was a nice place!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Being populated around the 1400s is kinda of a pre requisite to not having castles :P
    Yeah, us Americans don't have castles
    Putin khuliyo

Had they really stopped building castles by the 1400s? Sounds a bit early...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Googled it, Biltmore castle, now I remember again. :P

Looks like there are a handful of "impressive" castles in the US after all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Then ninja them...

Didn't Terceira Island, or pehaps its Faial, not sure, had some kind of fort?

10+ Year Old Account
    hmmm.... the closest thing to a castle where I live is probably Castle Pinckney which used to be a fort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deal Castle in Kent is quite unusual...

It was built by Henry VIII, I'm not sure if it's supposed to represent the Tudor Rose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Had they really stopped building castles by the 1400s? Sounds a bit early...
    Most of what was build afterwards are not Castles, but Palaces, such as Neuschwanstein. Cannons made them little more then death traps for Artillery.

Heh, I didn't realise cannons were in common use by mid fourteenth century tbh, thought they were much more 16th
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Are there any castles mention worthy outside of Europe?
    Actually, i enjoy Japonese Castles a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL (there's my 10 characters minimum, and then some)

http://www.britainirelandcastles.com...the-Clyde.html

The only ones nearby.

There's a Scottish TV series about our castles if you have a few hours to spare; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDq0TED16YE

10+ Year Old Account
    Another picture, of my local Castle. The clock tower marks the old main gate to the city.

EDIT:
    An ancient draw signing the tower.
    Last edited by Tuor; 2015-08-15 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Most of what was build afterwards are not Castles, but Palaces, such as Neuschwanstein. Cannons made them little more then death traps for Artillery.
    Yeah indeed, most of the really good looking ones are as you say palaces or residences built for royalty and not for defensive purposes.

but actual castles, one of the nice ones I think is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C...astle_1994.jpg, though it was never fully completed.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston_Castle is of note for the views from the remains at the summit, as you can see across 8 counties, been up there its one hell of a view.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Castle Glamis is my favorite castle, due to its bloody legends and ghost stories.

That said, my local castle is Hearst Castle:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Googled it, Biltmore castle, now I remember again. :P

Looks like there are a handful of "impressive" castles in the US after all...

That's not really a castle more a residence styled after one but its basically a stately home I doubt there's any true castles in the US as they were not built in the UK after the 1400's with a few exceptions, well before anyone knew about America.

People just like called them "Castles" for the status is gives as the owner
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

10+ Year Old Account
    i wish our country had castles. and no i don't count mcmansion castles as actual castles.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

All those fancy castles in europe and stuff, ughhh I'd love to see them.

The US has some, though it really depends on what you define as a castle i guess. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Then even more locally, http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pa-castles/. But like, how many of those really count? They're the only ones I've been to at least. <.<

15+ Year Old Account
    My local castle (Turku Castle). Not very fancy, but it's rather old (from the 13th century).

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.