Poll: Do you think the phrases "illegal immigrant" and "anchor baby" offensive?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You guys get extremely offended every time it's used, so I'd say so.
    Because its spoken condescendingly and derisively every time its used.

Well, this is the first time we've ever agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    No more offensive than any of the other racist / sexist / homophobic dog whistles littered in any one of their speeches.
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Those of us who haven't fallen victim to trickery can recognize where today's real racism is coming from.

It will take a few generations but this strangle hold that the ruling class, the actual racists, have over Americans will pass.

Then all will be able to recognize the systematic race based atrocities and who is responsible for them.

There is a designed called the permanent underclass.

Once you learn what it is you will see who is benefiting from it, how they are maintaining it, and how they've convince you to defend it.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

I'm pretty sympathetic to the "Citizens, not anchor babies" rhetoric. Even if their parents are illegal, trying to define people by the actions of another seems particularly unamerican to me.

I find neither label to be offensive in the least bit.

i don't think they are, and if they are i don't really give a shit. just more bullshit from overly sensitive losers.

"Anchor baby" is new to me. I've known about Mexican women who sneak into the US side of the border to have their baby so the baby is a US citizen. The Constitution says if you're born here, you're a US citizen but it's always seemed like they're gaming the system.

What we've called illegal immigrants over the years has changed, "wet backs" cause they swam the river illegally entering instead of crossing the bridge legally, "illegal aliens" but "aliens" sounds odd, and now "illegal immigrants".

I guess "aliens" or "illegal aliens" are still the most accurate terms, but now "alien" means extraterrestrial so there's that. And "illegal alien" picked up a bad connotation somehow.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

i don't think they are, and if they are i don't really give a shit. just more bullshit from overly sensitive losers.
    The reason why the GOP is starting to care is that these "losers" you are talking about, Hispanics, have a lot of voting clout. The Hispanic vote made a huge difference for Obama vs Romney, and are very likely to make a huge difference in the upcoming election as well. It makes a difference for republicans to get 30% of the Hispanic vote as compared to 15 or 20 - or even 10.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love society and Political Correctness, when two valid terms of reference are seen as offensive.. Heck I could think up a couple dozen words that are far more offensive than these quoted in this thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The reason why the GOP is starting to care is that these "losers" you are talking about, Hispanics, have a lot of voting clout. The Hispanic vote made a huge difference for Obama vs Romney, and are very likely to make a huge difference in the upcoming election as well. It makes a difference for republicans to get 30% of the Hispanic vote as compared to 15 or 20 - or even 10.
    The republicans will lose more if they pander like the democrats do. You either get the message and want to rise above the gutter, or you don't. The republican party isn't about ethnicity, its about morals, values and honesty. Now you are thinking "they don't have morals if they want to kick out undocumented workers". You would be wrong if you thought that. With all the new robots being funded, threats of raising the minimum wage to astronomical levels and a massive influx of illegal immigrants (mostly children), not to even mention the legal immigration at warp speed, why would they do that?.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2015-08-23 at 07:23 AM.

The republicans will lose more if they pander like the democrats do. You either get the message and want to rise above the gutter, or you don't. The republican party isn't about ethnicity, its about morals, values and honesty.
    Well the republicans are fighting this out amongst themselves. Some of the candidates are supporting using these terms, others are shying away from them.

The republicans of 2003 were not about honesty at all as they led the country into a war based on a lot of lies told by the Bush administration. I wish the republicans of 2015 really WERE more honest. The republican debate is more about: do we gain more votes by "telling our truth about Hispanics" than we lose due to ... well calling them losers as was done in this thread earlier - repeatedly and by multiple people.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Well the republicans are fighting this out amongst themselves. Some of the candidates are supporting using these terms, others are shying away from them.

The republicans of 2003 were not about honesty at all as they led the country into a war based on a lot of lies told by the Bush administration. I wish the republicans of 2015 really WERE more honest. The republican debate is more about: do we gain more votes by "telling our truth about Hispanics" than we lose due to ... well calling them losers as was done in this thread earlier - repeatedly and by multiple people.
    Republicans made the mistake when assuming we wanted our middle class neighborhoods invaded by illegal aliens. Bush had full support until he passed that quasi amnesty in 2006. That's why McCain and Romney lost, they were pro amnesty.

Sometimes the good guys have to be viewed as the bad guys for the greater good of all.

Republicans made the mistake when assuming we wanted our middle class neighborhoods invaded by illegal aliens. Bush had full support until he passed that quasi amnesty in 2006. That's why McCain and Romney lost, they were pro amnesty.

Sometimes the good guys have to be viewed as the bad guys for the greater good of all.
    It sounds like you will be 100% behind Donald Trump. Presumably if he fails to get the republican nomination and runs as an independent you'll be 100% with him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    The republicans will lose more if they pander like the democrats do. You either get the message and want to rise above the gutter, or you don't. The republican party isn't about ethnicity, its about morals, values and honesty. Now you are thinking "they don't have morals if they want to kick out undocumented workers". You would be wrong if you thought that. With all the new robots being funded, threats of raising the minimum wage to astronomical levels and a massive influx of illegal immigrants (mostly children), not to even mention the legal immigration at warp speed, why would they do that?.

You have sources on any of that?

See here's the problem. Republicans don't just pander... they fear monger. Just now you said you were scared of a massive rise in minimum wage. Why? THere's no economic support, you just don't feel McDonalds employees should be paid 15 dollars an hour. You said you were scared of the "impending" massive influx of illegal aliens. What evidence do you have for this? What economic data can you extrapolate from this? Do you have any relative data comparisons to support these claims?

The easiest way to glean political support from a homogeneous group is to convince them some other group is out for their lives, jobs, and women. Unfortunately for the republicans, they find themselves no longer dealing with a homogenous group as a viable electorate.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You have sources on any of that?

See here's the problem. Republicans don't just pander... they fear monger. Just now you said you were scared of a massive rise in minimum wage. Why? THere's no economic support, you just don't feel McDonalds employees should be paid 15 dollars an hour. You said you were scared of the "impending" massive influx of illegal aliens. What evidence do you have for this? What economic data can you extrapolate from this? Do you have any relative data comparisons to support these claims?

The easiest way to glean political support from a homogeneous group is to convince them some other group is out for their lives, jobs, and women. Unfortunately for the republicans, they find themselves no longer dealing with a homogenous group as a viable electorate.
    Bringing up legitimate concerns is not fear mongering. This is an American issue that should be determined by the American voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bringing up legitimate concerns is not fear mongering.
    Except they are not 'legitimate' concerns outside of a political sphere. They aren't based in any sort of economic or sociological fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If those words are offensive. Then we maybe should see word like Criminal as offensive? Should we call them something like "misguided people" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Except they are not 'legitimate' concerns outside of a political sphere. They aren't based in any sort of economic or sociological fact.
    Look around the world, look at Europe. They are being flooded, we are being flooded. For some reason Russia and china aren't being flooded. That is so odd I cant even begin to piece that together. Why all of a sudden are millions of refugees and illegals fleeing their countries of birth?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    If those words are offensive. Then we maybe should see word like Criminal as offensive? Should we call them something like "misguided people" ?
    What crime did an 'anchor baby' commit, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Look around the world, look at Europe. They are being flooded, we are being flooded. For some reason Russia and china aren't being flooded. That is so odd I cant even begin to piece that together.
    Right. Because the BEST place to flee to from political oppression or economic hardship are places with suspect economies and/or extant political oppression.

And no, the US is not being 'flooded', neither is Europe. There are high immigration rates, yes, but there isn't any sort of economic fact which demonstrates any statistically significant damage is being caused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anchor baby is offensive. I can't see it being used in anything but a condescending tone.

Illegal immigrant isn't offensive the way you use it can make you look ignorant in a bigoty sort of way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bringing up legitimate concerns is not fear mongering. This is an American issue that should be determined by the American voters.
    I'm still waiting on those statistics.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What crime did an 'anchor baby' commit, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Right. Because the BEST place to flee to from political oppression or economic hardship are places with suspect economies and/or extant political oppression.

And no, the US is not being 'flooded', neither is Europe. There are high immigration rates, yes, but there isn't any sort of economic fact which demonstrates any statistically significant damage is being caused.
    I guess none. But his parents did with moving to country as illegal immigrants. But that's how's system is built in some countries. To change name I guess you would have to change system. To not to grant citizenship to kid and then later to his whole family or just to children and not to family.