Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Got a 94 MW monk and vant really Make myself Level it to max. Don't get me wrong, when it was new I loved healing in raids, but now it just seem borring. Perhaps it is because to much is done automatically..

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monk was the final class of 11 that I leveled in MoP and I only did it for the Stay Classy guild achievement.

I played both MW and WW at max level and was seriously underwhelmed with both. I quickly shelved it for the remainder of the expansion.

Again in WoD, the Monk was my last class to 100 and I have been toying with the same specs again only to reach the same conclusion as I did in MoP. I know that the class is capable of more as I have seen some very good players (we had a phenomenal MW in guild who used to wreck the meters).

What it comes down to for me is that they require too much input for good results. I am not a great player and I find I can get better results from other classes with less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanthanum View Post
    What it comes down to for me is that they require too much input for good results. I am not a great player and I find I can get better results from other classes with less effort.
    By other classes do mean Hunter? Cause ww is not that difficult once you get the rotation down.

Deleted
    Monks are the most fun to play imo but its pretty clunky. I pretty much only PvP and its fun but damn its clunky. Have to know how to roll so you dont go too far or too little, FoF is so damn annoying to get off if the people you are up against have bad latency, its range is short and easy to interrupt and you cant move (without glyphs).

You have to think about a lot of stuff compared to other classes and you are squishy as hell so you have to kite a lot

Not sure why more people aren't interested in Monk, I honestly love mine. That being said I'll more than likely be switching to feral druid for Legion because I've wanted to be feral for awhile and it looks like the stars are aligning to make that switch make sense in my guild

Deleted
    There are actualy atleast three major reasons why monks arent that popular.
    Lore, Depth and Availability.

First of all, the class itself had little to no lore or storybase before being introduced. Every other WoW class has rich story background and atleast one strong leading character. Monks had nothing before MoP and even in MoP, the story/characters they got were either forgetable or just too ordinary. (yeah I know, Chen and stuff... but lets be real, he wasnt anything special, as far as I know the majority of WoW players didnt even know he existed before MoP). This whole lack of class character makes you want to play this class a little less.

Second of all, the depth of the class was, compared to other classes at that moment really overwhelming for the new players, you got three completly new specs, with completly new class mechanics, new spells, new talent trees, etc. Even to this day, there are many players, that never tried playing the monk simple because they have a feeling its "too hard, too complex" ( this is probably also highly exaggerated by the fact that monks are played a lot by the "toppest" players of the community.)

And last, but not least is the availability. You see, when the DK was added, he already started at lvl 55, only 15 levels from the lvl cap action, whereas monks started 90 levels from the "main fun" of the game. Also the "raw dmg output" of the class at the begining of the expansion made them really unappealing for most players. (remember ultra OP dks at the start of Wotlk? everyone wanted to play that OP crap)

I can bet you will see a tons of Demon hunters in Legion, because they are going to be complete opposite of the monk in these 3 points. (starting only few levels before the cap, HUGE lore, only two specs, one of them is going to be faceroll tank.)

But these 3 issues are also the main reason why I enjoy playing the class, also the fact that its the least played class. It makes you feel really special and exclusive.

I came to WoW in hopes that they'd make a monk class when MOP came out,, got a few characters up to 75 then, my DK leveled up to raid... Once MOP came out I went monk all the way of course, also keeping my DK at raiding ilvl.. I love everything about the monk as I love the martial arts and the feel, however, I've put a tremendous amount of time and hours of scrolling through this and other threads, trying things, etc to get and keep my monk as high on the damage charts as possible. I've played about half the classes for a decent part and it is by FAR the hardest to play to maximize damage in a raid setting. You can play a monk and be ok rather easily, but to really be top you have to work harder for it than any other class and most don't want to work that hard. Also the rollercoaster that has been all the changes has permeated WoW and people have heard all the bitching from monks and think, why the hell would I want to go through all that.... This is why there are fewer monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wada View Post
    There are actualy atleast three major reasons why monks arent that popular.
    Lore, Depth and Availability.

First of all, the class itself had little to no lore or storybase before being introduced. Every other WoW class has rich story background and atleast one strong leading character. Monks had nothing before MoP and even in MoP, the story/characters they got were either forgetable or just too ordinary. (yeah I know, Chen and stuff... but lets be real, he wasnt anything special, as far as I know the majority of WoW players didnt even know he existed before MoP). This whole lack of class character makes you want to play this class a little less.

Second of all, the depth of the class was, compared to other classes at that moment really overwhelming for the new players, you got three completly new specs, with completly new class mechanics, new spells, new talent trees, etc. Even to this day, there are many players, that never tried playing the monk simple because they have a feeling its "too hard, too complex" ( this is probably also highly exaggerated by the fact that monks are played a lot by the "toppest" players of the community.)

And last, but not least is the availability. You see, when the DK was added, he already started at lvl 55, only 15 levels from the lvl cap action, whereas monks started 90 levels from the "main fun" of the game. Also the "raw dmg output" of the class at the begining of the expansion made them really unappealing for most players. (remember ultra OP dks at the start of Wotlk? everyone wanted to play that OP crap)

I can bet you will see a tons of Demon hunters in Legion, because they are going to be complete opposite of the monk in these 3 points. (starting only few levels before the cap, HUGE lore, only two specs, one of them is going to be faceroll tank.)

But these 3 issues are also the main reason why I enjoy playing the class, also the fact that its the least played class. It makes you feel really special and exclusive.
    really? did you just post that? really? lol.

who gives a shit about lore? If xx was wrecking face or even worse, required to beat a certain encounter.. you think people would shelf it over LORE? ughgh

As i said about 10 pages back, they arent played because A) they require waaay too much micromanagement and mashing to stay competitive numbers wise and B) they have bad burst and as such are bad at priority damage. Encounter design as of late has done nothing to cater to a monks strength via SEF and tbh its a piss poor design. i get the need to be unique, but cloning is unique. Leave it at that. Why can arms warriors, hunters, frost mages etc all cleave without any detrimental effect on their priority target?

The end all be all is this. Everything we can do or provide during mythic progression, another class can do or provide better.

To be clear, i love my monk, it recently kept me from quitting the game when I main changed. It is much more complex and dynamic to play than many other classes. That being said, its inferior in more ways than superior and due to ignorance in the general populace regarding how monks operate - theyre often deemed undesireable even when tehyre actually desireable.

The reason monk isn't popular is because it is not iconic. I mean Rogue, you stealth around with assassin like agility and power. A mage has massive, destructive powers. A warlock uses darkness, shadow, flame, and demons to destroy its enemies. A monk? Punching you with his fists? Or healing with 'mystic' powers isn't exactly 'cool'. The lore is also very weak, and doesn't really garner any fanaticism. Also they have no signature spells. Rogues have stealth, DK's have death grip, etc. There is no wow factor with monks or their abilities. They are just not that interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really love my mistweaving belf, and the reason I like it is because of mobility, channeling heal, and transendence, it's so fun compared to any other healing class I've played.

Dont really care about brewmaster, and windwalker feels so boring to me. I'd rather just stick to my rogue instead, (which is soon to be a Demon Huntaww )
    im cool pls respodn

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Monk has no niche.

Shamans have totems.
    I found this extremely funny. You really think any of the totems make shamans desirable (outside of resto totems)? That's great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    The simple answer is that they are too hard. You have to be very good to perform at a high level with any monk spec. That means people don't like their bad play and everyone else thinks monks are bad because they see players they believe are good playing them poorly without much success.
    I found them not particularly hard, just annoying as hell to heal with (and I've healed in pretty much every spec/class in every MMO I've played for the last 10+years and enjoyed most of them...), and found tanking needlessly fussy.

I enjoyed Dps with a monk, the mobility and some interesting mechanics like touch of karma/death allowing you to ignore mechanics or deal with adds quickly or just stay on target longer were nice, and the normal dps "rotation" (maybe that should be priority system) was engaging enough.

I just found the tank mechanics fussy as hell, effective, just clumsy, and the healing to be just badly designed. I wont go into detail, its been done to death elsewhere, some like it, i hate it.

--

Sod it, just give em double jump, even since that was seen in pandaria as a zone bonus, I thought Monks should have it as standard. Now damm demon hunters get it....as if people need incentives to go all emo and play them.....

Deleted
    It just never had the impact the Dk had, WW was fun in mop pvp, but was kinda short lived it never had the utility a dk had. i enjoy brewmaster, i was always championing it to others but it is pointlessly fussy in an old fashioned kinda way and i see why people dont want or like them in high tier raiding as much as other classes like dks warriors/pala who have simpler tanking styles. And Mistweaver i find annoying to heal with in comparison to an other healers the channeled heal is never fun imho, fistweaving had promise but was nerfed so hard in first few months of mop it shorty became unusable and fistweaver in WoD feels clunky. Monks never really felt like they fit in like a lot of people are saying it never found its niche here. Who knows it may get sorted out in legion, i hope it does.

Could be worse at least they aint bear druids those poor bastards
    Last edited by mmocd969a05f4a; 2015-10-18 at 12:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
    really? did you just post that? really? lol.

who gives a shit about lore? If xx was wrecking face or even worse, required to beat a certain encounter.. you think people would shelf it over LORE? ughgh
    A lot of people care about lore. I am not talking only about high end progression or pvp right now. You said why people arent sticking with monk, but the lore stuff is the reason why people hesitate to create monk character in the first place. (you know, there is percentage of players that only do rp, or lfr/rbg and they are completly fine)

7+ Year Old Account
    I recently levelled my Monk with a mindset to starting as WW and then deciding to tank or heal. I've played my hunter since the game began and always found it very hard to enjoy other characters. I played Warrior and Priest for a while, but always went back to my hunter..

I've been slowly progressing through the legendary q's on my Monk and really enjoying it, the hard decision now is to change main or not for Legion from Hunter to Monk, in a raid last night there was 10 hunters and 2 Monks, gave me huge pleasure, I think i'm sold!