Player Tips: How to get the most enjoyment out of MMOs

Ok, what tips do you have for enjoying gaming to the max or making the most of MMO games. What are the sort of things that make all this enjoyable to you or increase your enjoyment.

I know everyone is different ofc, so it shoudn't surprise anyone that something that may be great for you is terrible for someone, but at the end of the day, you may actually find all sorts of useful stuff.

For e.g my tips:
    1. Don't play these games too much - it seems counter intuitive, but it is doubly important when you really really like it. Burn out's a bitch
    2. Take it slow - again counter intuitive - but you enjoy so much more if you don't rush through stuff
    3. READ !! - i'm like seriously, read the quests, even if you are just a pvp fan or smash and grab person that wants something easy to beat on, reading quests and description will seriously boost immersion and increase your enjoyment of the games.
    4. Be friendly and helpful to people, it may seem like a drag, or that it's slowing you down, but these games are built for multiplayer, and people are the only real thing you would actually encounter. They really matter and good company can make the game fun far beyond its systems and mechanics could ever do... when you think about it.. how often do you facebook/tweet/tumblr & instagram - and those ain't even games, they're just people interactions.

5. I love to minimize the UI as much as possible - so if you get use to the game controls, a lot of new games have visual cue's for nearly everything, I tried to hide the UI as much as possible or edit them to fade/reduce size so I see as much of the environment as possible and reduce clutter - in fact i'm getting use to only using the UI on intesnive encounters and when I need to pick up quests/ look at map or craft

6. Don't be afraid to try everything, and don't be afraid to drop stuff you don't like. You don't have to do EVERY profession, you can get by without any, and it's good to try at least some professions they're great for gaining cash and will encourage you to engage more with the world -- if it's too much of a drag though, don't be afraid to drop it.

7. Explore as much as possible - and try and disable map or quest cues - i like that .. unless I get really frustrated finding something, I actually don't use the map, I go on the description given and look for stuff, this might take too long for you, if to does use the map, but don't hurry.

8. Play when you have nothing urgently outstanding to do. Set your game time for then - i know some of you use this to de-stress, that's one vital purpose leisure serves, however, don't play when you got homework outstanding, need to go to work or school, in the middle of a busy day when there's lots of different things that need doing, or you've got committments etc. Do those first. You can make time for the game, but really avoid cancelling on too much actual life other activities and AVOID at all costs cancelling on important things just to play.. you'd enjoy it far better once done and that's off your mind.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    To enjoy MMO's don't make friends don't disagree with anyone and stay away from forums cause everyone will attack you for having an opinion. Playing WoW by myself guildless for years with no friends and rarely visiting forums put you in a good mood. Paying 15 bucks a month to play the way you want to play unless you like to be told what to do with the money you're wasting.

1. Talk to people you meet in the game world - even a quick hi if another person is running by - don't be shy to admire em or tell them you think something is cool about them, it really encourages them. You may also make a new friend

2. STAY OUT OF THE FIRE: most mmo games have some easy rules, area damage effects don't change position, you really just need to identify their markers

3. Play in a quiet environment. This will help you in group content and harder stuff, if you can, avoid playing in noisy rooms with people interrupting you all the time, or the TV on in the background, snapchat etc, immersion is good, and doing raid content with noisy siblings/kids/parents/friends about will cause you to err and not learn much.

4. You need to listen to instructions for group play. Especially if you're new, you can't take 75% of what the person who knows the encounter is saying, nor 95%, you have to do everything exactly as told or you'd fail.

5. It's good to get a program like Mumblr, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo chat for harder group stuff, when you join a guild or a raid group, people need faster ways than typing to communicate, these programs will increase your access to main group activities as many of the better groups require them for co0ordination. Failure to have one may mean less invites.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. this should be in the game's forum

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Ok, what tips do you have for enjoying gaming to the max or making the most of MMO games.
    Good sensible advice.

A few tips I would add:

1) Don't buy into popular opinions just because they are popular especially if those opinions happen to be negative. It is easy to become susceptible to the negative inputs of other people and it can ruin something you were finding fun.

2) Do stuff because you enjoy it. Don't do stuff just because of some reward attached to it. The best reward this game has to offer is the fun of experiencing the gameplay, not some power upgrade. Gear should be acquired as a means to an end, namely participation in more difficult content, not as an ends in and of itself. Never pursue content you hate just to get to gear, if you can get the gear doing something you enjoy (even if it isn't as efficient).

3) Don't fixate on the types of content you dislike (eg pet battles or LFR). Focus on the content you like and let those who enjoy the other content enjoy it their way. The game is richer for having a wide variety of players, and every player will enjoy a different set of content. If the game contained only the specific content you enjoyed, it would exclude the majority of the player base and you would soon find Azeroth to be a very lonely place, perfect for you, but mediocre to terrible for just about everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Good sensible advice.

A few tips I would add:

1) Don't buy into popular opinions just because they are popular especially if those opinions happen to be negative. It is easy to become susceptible to the negative inputs of other people and it can ruin something you were finding fun.

2) Do stuff because you enjoy it. Don't do stuff just because of some reward attached to it. The best reward this game has to offer is the fun of experiencing the gameplay, not some power upgrade. Gear should be acquired as a means to an end, namely participation in more difficult content, not as an ends in and of itself. Never pursue content you hate just to get to gear, if you can get the gear doing something you enjoy (even if it isn't as efficient).

3) Don't fixate on the types of content you dislike (eg pet battles or LFR). Focus on the content you like and let those who enjoy the other content enjoy it their way. The game is richer for having a wide variety of players, and every player will enjoy a different set of content. If the game contained only the specific content you enjoyed, it would exclude the majority of the player base and you would soon find Azeroth to be a very lonely place, perfect for you, but mediocre to terrible for just about everyone else.
    very good advice there.. especially point 2. Point 2, some games can get pretty grindy, and if it feels that way just to get a reward don't do it. But what would help you enjoy even grinds, is immersion, getting into the story the atmosphere and can make it feel good slaughtering all those peons from the top side to the bottom... but i would advice against just going round zone x for days just to get drop X.

And yeah, on point 1, great advice, the amount of times i've just got discouraged from playing because i've jumped on the forum and some massive issue i dind't even notice or care about sudeenly mattered to me just cos other people were in a hissy fit about it, .

I'll add point 4:;
    Remember it's only a game - no point throwing a fit at players or your mum if you don't get your way, yes, i'm looking at you - it also helps to remember it's just a game when people venting their frustratuion trash the product you like, you don't need to get OFFENDED and go ape on them, they're just hurt over stuff themselves and veneting, you don't need to be sucked into it, if you're not going to diffuse the situation or remind them about the good things of the game, it's better not to get involved or just to stay out of the argument. Rage is like a fire, it feeds on anger and grows, so even if they're clearly lying or being false, again dont' get sucked into setting them straight, lest you get affected and waste time you should be playing arguing over something that's not even real

Deleted
    Moved to the right forum.

for WoW related theres lots of funny stuff you can do.

1. Troll general chat or start fights by introducing controversial subjects

2. yell at random people and call them names

3. get on a really big mount and stand on top of popular things (mailboxes/npcs/whatever)

4. do some achievements if you get super bored

5. login to the opposite faction and start trolling from over there.

oh wait you mean fun things to do in wow?

afk in garrisons
    ???
    profit.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    for WoW related theres lots of funny stuff you can do.

1. Troll general chat or start fights by introducing controversial subjects

2. yell at random people and call them names

3. get on a really big mount and stand on top of popular things (mailboxes/npcs/whatever)

4. do some achievements if you get super bored

5. login to the opposite faction and start trolling from over there.

oh wait you mean fun things to do in wow?

afk in garrisons
    ???
    profit.
    Which brings me to my big tip: Immediately upon login, disable all chat functions. Now enjoy your immersive single-player game which happens to have some really stupid NPC's running around from time to time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally find that I enjoy MMOs the most when I don't play them. All my attempts to play MMOs led to boredom of doing the same damn thing for weeks. I can play Starcraft 2 for 10 hours straight and enjoy it just as I did when I started. But every MMO I've tried gets really-really boring after a few minutes of gameplay.

Which is a shame. Some MMOs, such as WoW, Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR, have incredible lores, interesting characters and stories. But the gameplay is just so repetitive and boring... It is like, I don't know, washing dishes for hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Don't be afraid to talk to people. Make people laugh.

Read up on a game, or if you want discovery, find others that share your views.

Learn to lead or learn to stop complaining about how others run their group.

Play more than one.

PvP is a mini game. Treat it as such.