Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Chicago Landlords Refuse Section 8 Vouchers

According to a bullshit 1990 law that restricts the rights of landlords passed in Chicago, Landlord are unable to refuse rentals to people with Section 8 housing vouchers. I would side with the voucher holders if the landlords were accepting vouchers from whites but not minorities, but they are refusing vouchers from ALL people. Its widely known that Section 8 renters disproportionately destroy units much more than people who rent. Mainly because they arent paying for it, and because they dont have a security deposit that they want back when they move out.

Landlords should have a right to protect their properties and not be forced to rent to people with no money who are going to cause thousands in damages to the units. Yes I know not ALL Section 8 renters destroy their units but a large percentage of them do and its a high enough percentage that I wouldnt want to rent to any of them.

http://www.wbez.org/news/section-8-v...igslist-113330

Despite a 25-year old Chicago law banning the practice, landlords across the city still explicitly discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders, WBEZ has found.

Since 1990, the city’s Fair Housing Ordinance has deemed it illegal to discriminate against families who pay all or part of their rent with Housing Choice Vouchers. More commonly known as Section 8, the vouchers are a federal subsidy intended to help low-income families, the elderly and disabled pay for rental housing on the private market. The Chicago Housing Authority, which administers the program in the City of Chicago, provides voucher assistance to nearly 43,000 households.

But a WBEZ analysis of Craigslist housing ads found that discrimination against voucher holders continues, in ways that are sometimes blatant, and touches nearly all parts of Chicago. At the same time, a disproportionate number of ads specifically encouraged voucher holders to apply for apartments in high-poverty, high-crime neighborhoods.

I side with the landlords as well.

Section 8 is a nightmare for property ownership and should not be forced.

Nothing in the S8 program provides for or even acknowledges the fact that S8 tenants destroy property and bring crime to the area.

The poor should not be forced upon those who are not poor.

I realize that sounds "mean" in principle but the ramifications of such actions are always always always ALWAYS negative for those who have their communities disrupted by persons who otherwise would not be there.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I side with the landlords as well.

Section 8 is a nightmare for property ownership and should not be forced.

Nothing in the S8 program provides for or even acknowledges the fact that S8 tenants destroy property and bring crime to the area.

The poor should not be forced upon those who are not poor.

I realize that sounds "mean" in principle but the ramifications of such actions are always always always ALWAYS negative for those who have their communities disrupted by persons who otherwise would not be there.
    Exactly. It should be their option to accept vouchers or not as long as they either accept all voucher or no vouchers

I side squarely with the landlords as well.

Section 8 people destroy properties and communities.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

i can't side with landlords. i've seen a few that are just absolute scum of the earth, one even makes his 98 YEAR OLD MOTHER pay him to mow her lawn.

so, yeah, let them suffer.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has worked property management. It is a double edged sword. Yes it is rent that you will definitely get.. Yes about 80 percent of section 8 properties are pretty messed up after they leave. Really HUD needs to crack down on these tenants to force them to care for the places they live or lose section 8. I have seem some revolting places that were once really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my personal experience, section 8 renters are the best ones to get.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i can't side with landlords. i've seen a few that are just absolute scum of the earth, one even makes his 98 YEAR OLD MOTHER pay him to mow her lawn.

so, yeah, let them suffer.
    Clearly your single anecdote is a good representation.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I've heard this before, the state pays the rent so you don't have to fight tenants for rent.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    But they get poor germs all over everything!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Slum Lords love Section 8, normal home owners hate it. I have seen people who have moved away from their home(military) and rent it out instead of selling it. They are almost in tears when we have to send them the move out pictures. All I'm saying is the landlords are held accountable for basic requirement for the home(hud requirments can be brutal...like a we had to fix a crack in the driveway), this should be a 2 way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I would side with the voucher holders if the landlords were accepting vouchers from whites but not minorities, but they are refusing vouchers from ALL people.
    Did anyone else see the OP's obvious encouragement of racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    According to a bullshit 1990 law that restricts the rights of landlords passed in Chicago, Landlord are unable to refuse rentals to people with Section 8 housing vouchers. I would side with the voucher holders if the landlords were accepting vouchers from whites but not minorities, but they are refusing vouchers from ALL people. Its widely known that Section 8 renters disproportionately destroy units much more than people who rent. Mainly because they arent paying for it, and because they dont have a security deposit that they want back when they move out.

Landlords should have a right to protect their properties and not be forced to rent to people with no money who are going to cause thousands in damages to the units. Yes I know not ALL Section 8 renters destroy their units but a large percentage of them do and its a high enough percentage that I wouldnt want to rent to any of them.

http://www.wbez.org/news/section-8-v...igslist-113330
    Completely side with the landlords and wish more places would refuse Section 8. I don't pay top dollar to live in a nice place to have it half filled with assholes.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    uhh, no. he said he'd side with the voucher holders if the landlords were being racist.

they aren't, so he's siding with the landlords.

Depending on rental vacancies, being in tight with Chicago Housing Authority can be a windfall for landlords as the vouchers are usually based on the market average. A below market unit or slightly worn one could be bringing in a quite a bit while deferring the need for repairs. Then again, there are situations where people on Section are getting $2,600 apartments.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...iest-buildings

The flip side is Chicago law requires all new construction to include affordable units or pay a large fee. In the past three years, every new construction in the west loop has paid the fee so no new units are affordable (let alone accepting Section 8). After quitting my job years ago and starting my own small business, I learned affordable rentals in Chicago are harder to come by. So, yes, it sucks to have people who get posh units for being poor and then have no responsibilities for taking care of it, but fuck, unless you can stand the long commute, there is little in affordable housing for some families.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...sts-rent-fight
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    That is a level of victim blaming even morons in the US can't reach...
    MMO-C moderation, just a peg above Fox News

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brangh View Post
    Depending on rental vacancies, being in tight with Chicago Housing Authority can be a windfall for landlords as the vouchers are usually based on the market average. A below market unit or slightly worn one could be bringing in a quite a bit while deferring the need for repairs. Then again, there are situations where people on Section are getting $2,600 apartments.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...iest-buildings

The flip side is Chicago law requires all new construction to include affordable units or pay a large fee. In the past three years, every new construction in the west loop has paid the fee so no new units are affordable (let alone accepting Section 8). After quitting my job years ago and starting my own small business, I learned affordable rentals in Chicago are harder to come by. So, yes, it sucks to have people who get posh units for being poor and then have no responsibilities for taking care of it, but fuck, unless you can stand the long commute, there is little in affordable housing for some families.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...sts-rent-fight
    The article says there is plenty of affordability housing available on the South Side. Im sorry but if Im paying for your home (taxpayers), you dont get to be picky where its at

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    uhh, no. he said he'd side with the voucher holders if the landlords were being racist.

they aren't, so he's siding with the landlords.
    No, read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I've heard this before, the state pays the rent so you don't have to fight tenants for rent.
    Guaranteed rent is the only upside to S8 renting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Not wanting poor people around a good neighborhood is racist now?

I think tumblr called to report that they were leaking today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Not wanting poor people around a good neighborhood is racist now?

I think tumblr called to report that they were leaking today.
    Exactly poor people can be any race