Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I can't even imagine going to a restaurant called "Joe's Crab Shack"...
    It's not bad. Over seasoned crab, but all in all it's not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's delicious, they are like the TGIF's of seafood and yes they make fun of themselves, you can buy Tshirts that say "I got crabs and Joes"

- - - Updated - - -

Depends where you are living. Where I live, yes, in NYC, no
    In NJ, it is tough, but it can be done. Last I did the math, $16 an hour is a livable wage to have a 1 bedroom apartment, car insurance, utilities, and food. You wouldn't have much left over though, if anything at all.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    It's delicious, they are like the TGIF's of seafood and yes they make fun of themselves, you can buy Tshirts that say "I got crabs and Joes"
    I googled it and it looks very... American
    Kinda like an amusement park restaurant?

This is the sort of place I usually eat (The Jane in Antwerp):

10+ Year Old Account

Joe's Crab Shack is a family restaurant. It is not a place to go on a fancy date.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don't think tips should ever be forbidden. If a server truly goes above and beyond, why can't I show them my appreciation for that?
    This is my feeling as well.

Had a waitress at a local restaurant who was super pregnant and was busting her ass to take care of my table of 4 + baby, she got a really, really good tip. Turns out she was past her due date too. o.O
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    This is my feeling as well.

Had a waitress at a local restaurant who was super pregnant and was busting her ass to take care of my table of 4 + baby, she got a really, really good tip. Turns out she was past her due date too. o.O
    Good on you. And bless that woman for hustling at a restaurant 9 months pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    I like silent service as well, which should always get you a good tip. But the potential for a HUGE tip is by talking to the customers and connecting with them. While its not what I'd want, servers would be minimizing their potential revenue by not trying.
    Somewhere a while back I read about fashion models. The ones that look completely disinterested get into the higher paying jobs. Then I read another, similar, thing about servers which said, essentially, disinterested servers who quietly do their job get tipped more than talkative friendly servers.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account

I would never eat there. Its too wide open (feels like Im eating in a school cafeteria or warehouse), the tables are too close together, and there is a skull on the wall/ceiling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Can we start tipping the cooks?? People who actually do the work in the restaurant. By tip I mean a small bonus for their hard work. If you have ever worked in a busy restaurant as a cook in any regards you will understand that on weekends it can turn in a hellzone very quickly. Meanwhile the wait staff stand around and complain that they are getting crappy tips while also bad mouthing the customers.
    Part of my post is sarcastic, Ill let you all decide which it is
    I've actually tipped the cooks when I've had beyond awesome food. I ask to speak to the chef if they have a moment, if not, I'll wait until they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I've actually tipped the cooks when I've had beyond awesome food. I ask to speak to the chef if they have a moment, if not, I'll wait until they do.
    Trust me, we appreciate it. It just involves a sequence of, server walks into the kitchen, says table 20 wants to talk to you. oh shit what are they complaining about? Get a fresh apron, change into long sleeve chef coat, make sure I'm looking good, abandoning the line. Get out there, be my charming self. Oh, damn, they aren't complaining. Thank you, thank you.

That makes my week. Just don't do it when the place looks busy, please.

On another note, it's increasingly common where I am for the cooks to be part of the tip pool. Server's aren't required to pool tips, but most do because it smooths out slow days or sections.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Trust me, we appreciate it. It just involves a sequence of, server walks into the kitchen, says table 20 wants to talk to you. oh shit what are they complaining about? Get a fresh apron, change into long sleeve chef coat, make sure I'm looking good, abandoning the line. Get out there, be my charming self. Oh, damn, they aren't complaining. Thank you, thank you.

That makes my week. Just don't do it when the place looks busy, please.

On another note, it's increasingly common where I am for the cooks to be part of the tip pool. Server's aren't required to pool tips, but most do because it smooths out slow days or sections.
    I know we appreciate it, I worked in small restaurant kitchens as a cook when I was younger. That's part of why I tip the cooks if it's awesome food. The waitress would come in on the rare times it happens. "Poopy, customers would like to talk to you" Millie, did I fuck up? "Don't know, they asked to talk to you." Come back in the kitchen, shiny the rest of the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm super proud of them for this. I will happily dine there more often. There is one quite close to where I live.

- - - Updated - - -

But they are getting a steady income now. When I was a server, the wages fluctuated drastically depending many circumstances. It was very difficult to manage my finances when I don't know if my Wednesday night shift was going to be a $100 night, or a $20 night.

As it stands, if you work 35 hours at $14 an hour, you are at $490 before taxes. Roughly $360 after taxes. That is $1472 a month after taxes, or $17,664 a year after taxes.

I'd say that is plenty fair.
    How the hell do you live off of 17k a year?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I ask the same question regarding the federal minimum wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Good for them. I imagine it will take America a while to get out of this weird culture, but it'll have to start somewhere.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

You do your job right you can make a pretty good amount of money off it... YES you will have shitty days and customers. NO you will not forget them.

But hear me out - why the fuck should anyone be paying you if i've been here for half an hour and you've only filled my glass of water once? You clearly are not doing your job.

A waiter I had today was frustrated because he was not tipped. I generally tip $3.00 minimum. But I did not tip him because he tried to rush me out of the restaurant since his shift was ending and another waiter refilled my glass after, like, forever. The entire point of being a waiter is so that I don't have to get up and get my own drink.

The only time there is anything wrong with "this culture" is when cheap people keep a server busy and don't tip them anything. A lot of people are servers and no they will not regale you with tales of how amazing their job is, but they wouldn't be doing it if they were only making $300 a week.

depends on where you live

around here you can get an apartment for around $400/mo with all utilities but electricity and internet included. tack on the internet and electric and you're probably looking at $600/mo just to live somewhere. you can easily live off around $100 for food here.... Everything else is what you spend on insurance and car payments or eating out and other non essentials.

a place to live is generally more expensive in a bigger city but the more roomates you have, the less money you have to spend on rent and utilities.

Hope this works for them. Sadly, I think some bean counter will lose his shit and they'll drop the wage downward.

Now forbid tips and watch how many of these servers complain that they aren't taking home $100 a night in tax-free income.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's just under 30.9k before taxes. That's plenty anywhere outside of major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    Now forbid tips and watch how many of these servers complain that they aren't taking home $100 a night in tax-free income.
    Except that it isn't/wasn't tax-free. The employer logs tips and the taxes for the tips are deducted from the hourly paycheck.

You don't. You get a better job and enter the adult world and you stop being a waitress. THat's how you're supposed to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    You don't. You get a better job and enter the adult world and you stop being a waitress. THat's how you're supposed to live.
    What's a better job according to you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Don't waiter/waitress always complain "we need that tip to survive as our employer don't pay living wage!!! If you don't tip you burn in hell!!!"?

Now that they are paid $14 (is it living wage? I don't live in US so someone please clarify), if it is living wage, the waiter/waitress should be happy about this.
    Yeah. What's up with that? Guess I'll stop tipping all together now

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Well done. -slow clap-