My Windows 8 PC is running sooo smooth, should I really go for W10?

Title says it all, my desktop PC with W8.1 is running so perfectly, so smooth, I don't want to risk anything by doing the upgrade to W10. Moreover, I fear driver problems and general fuckups if I just update it, with no clean install.

And I do not want to lose my data for now, for a clean install (format C) would mean I'd have to download so many things again. I don't have the time and/or nerves for this right now.

On the other hand, after such a long waiting time I could finally download W10. Apparently the OS is quite nice overall...

What should I do....

Out of the 4 pc I updated to Win10 in the last few months, I had to format 2

It is getting a bit more more stable now, but in comparison to win 8.1 which is actually a very good OS I notice it is more sluggish, often takes a while opening applications (like.. I click the shortcut on taskbar ... and nothing happens for like .... 5-30 seconds... I often end up clicking the program a few times... and then it instantly opens a dozen instance of the same program x-x), for some reason windows explorer is especially slow on my main computer.

No big issue with any programs now, had some driver issue with my cintiq and photoshop following my first upgrade, but it got fixed.

Anyway, for now I see no real reason to upgrade even if there aren't any major problems, tho you should upgrade before their free deal expires, cause win10 will be necessary for DX12, dunno when the deal ends however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just do the normal upgrade and you should be fine. Clean installs are always better but Microsoft did an extremely good job this time. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and snappier. And it also looks way better as a bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will wait until MS fixed the problems they currently have withe the rollout of the current build.
    Currently they are having some issues with some AV Scanner, which are removved during the update process and can not be reinstalled after.

Good old sysadmin says "never change a running system"

Don't upgrade until DX12 games are released and you would gain a significant performance improvement. There is no benefit and a lot of hassle to upgrade OS' arbitrarily. You think MS is doing you a favor by offering a free upgrade but really they are selling you a product for "free" that let's them monetize and track many portions of your activities that they cannot on Windows 8.1.

Edit: also you are getting mixed answers. You are getting people saying it is "snappier" (buzzword about OS for a while) and then people who are saying it failed to function on 1/2 of their computers, adequately, or that it is not "snappier" but slower when opening programs. The software itself runs snappy if you have snappy hardware and proper implementation, if it be 8.1, 7, or an eventual version of 10 that doesn't have issues. What do you think you would be "upgrading?" by messing up your current acceptable install of 8.1?
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2015-11-21 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Windows 10 is faster, smoother and snappier.
    Pretty bold claim. Synthetic Benchmarks usually end in a tie and personally I haven't seen noticeable improvements in that regard on the W10 machines I've installed.
    However I did encounter little hiccups: delays when opening the start menu or context menus and wifi disconnects.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2015-11-22 at 01:29 AM.

I had a few problems at first with drivers(mainly soundcard not supported), but since the latest build.. I have had no problems at all with Windows 10. Though I don't really see why you should upgrade if you are happy with your setup atm. W10 is only just so slightly faster than 8.1.. So as long as your installation is smooth, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Pretty bold claim. Synthetic Benchmarks usually end in a tie and personally I haven't seen noticeable improvements in that regard on the W10 machines I've installed.
    However I did encounter little hiccups: delays when opening the start menu or context menus and wifi disconnects.
    There were some claims of AMD cards getting huge performance gains from running their latest drivers on Windows 10, but from what I gathered it was more from the site not updating their results often enough and simply not being aware that AMD drivers have slowly increased the performance over time.

Thank you guys, I've decided to keep my current 8.1

I don't have a Dx12 card, running two 660 GTX. I can play all my games on highest settings (which aren't that many games anyway, tbh) and I don't want to risk ruining my current experience.

I'll probably upgrade once I decide to buy new cards for Dx12, or just before the free offer expires.

I could also not upgrade at all and go for Win10 if I decide to buy a completely new PC.