Page 1 of 2
LastLast

what happened to gladiator stance warriors?

barely seeing them, but the spec looks fun to play both in pvp and pve. i levelled a warrior just for fun (last time i played with warrior was cataclysm i think) and i found this class in a really good shape. should i stick with arms or try out gladiator stance style?

Deleted
    Try it if you want, but be aware that it is removed in Legion.

Deleted
    With Gladiator you probably need the highest APM than any other Class or Spec. And the trade off for killing your fingers isnt that great.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti2k View Post
    With Gladiator you probably need the highest APM than any other Class or Spec. And the trade off for killing your fingers isnt that great.
    What he said.

Also, it doesn't really excel at anything, which is why the top end avoids it. It's a fun rotation, don't get me wrong, but if you want to be competitive you have to use Unyielding Strikes, which means constant button mash well beyond anything else in the game (over double most specs), and it still lags behind Arms and Fury.

Now if you simply want to play something that you find fun, and aren't in a position to care about competitiveness so much, go ahead and play it, and feel free to drop US if you believe it isn't worth the carpal tunnel.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Blizzard never did a very good job of publicising the spec and so most players never even knew it was a proper DPS spec, just something weird prot warriors were doing. The reason it has died out so much is quite simply that a well geared well played fury warrior will usually out damage a well geared well played Gladiator on almost every fight, at the same time a lot of the HFC fights have the "fight is dull until 30% then boss goes super saiyan" mechanic which heavily favours arms. As a result of this all the min/maxers go fury or arms, this then gives all the keyboard turners the impression that's the thing to do so they do it.

The isn't anything inherently wrong with Gladiator and it's perfectly raid viable (the are still a number of us rocking it in mythic) the problem is that it isn't optimal on a single fight. The are of course a number of minor advantages to using it over fury/arms but overall most will simply go fury/arms.

They developed carpal tunnel and are now unable to play.

I still play it. Been trying to snatch up some of the #1 parses on Heroic before it's removed. I have a lot of fun with it, I wish they'd bring it back as a spec of it's own with half your abilities off the GCD (with limitations like maybe only being able to press up to 2 skills at once) and half on. Half the skills representing your shield, half representing your sword. It'd be a ton of fun, love unyielding stirkes.

It is the bottom barrel spec though. Literally the lowest performer in the game right now. Too much survivability, too little damage buffs to stack.

I did 202K on Kilrogg with ideal conditions for my raid group and got #1 for that boss for Glad. Overall my position across all dps specs is 3847.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...s=1786&page=20
    Last edited by Eatdamuffin; 2015-11-30 at 04:31 PM.

Also for PVP: They changed the Shield Slam glyph so it is no longer possible to dispel enemy buffs with it, if you are in gladiator stance. In PVP that was huge setback for the specc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Blizzard introduced a super fun spec to play and then nerfed it in to oblivion. Because $@#$ fun stuff.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordekae View Post
    Basically, Blizzard introduced a super fun spec to play and then nerfed it in to oblivion. Because $@#$ fun stuff.
    yes. blizzard nerfed and removed it because it was fun. That was the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RockmSockm View Post
    It's getting cut to free up more development time for Druids and hunters.
    i guess I will make this post a stupid-counter.

Currently we are at 2.
    Last edited by Valech; 2015-12-02 at 01:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Its not worth using. The other specs are much better and it offers nothing unique or fun. They tried to make it so tanks could do damage as well, but other than in progression raiding, tanks can actually do very good damage so the "spec" is useless.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Its not worth using. The other specs are much better and it offers nothing unique or fun. They tried to make it so tanks could do damage as well, but other than in progression raiding, tanks can actually do very good damage so the "spec" is useless.
    now, that isn´t true either. I get way too worked up upon this topic. The unique thing thing about this specc was, that is was the only real sword and board specc in game. Fun is objective and many people enjoyed, that it was fast paced and far more engaging then, say, arms.
    How can you claim, that it was neither unique nor fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

It's getting cut to free up more development time for Druids and hunters.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    How can you claim, that it was neither unique nor fun?
    Because that guy claims retarded shit with almost every post. No joke.

I love Glad Stance. Sword and Board is such an iconic look but Protection spec doesn't quite do it justice, not to mention you can't dps in it. Glad was so much fun and exactly what I looked for in a playstyle since they slowed WW down to a bore. Apparently Blizzard didn't feel it was that important
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Its not worth using. The other specs are much better and it offers nothing unique or fun.
    It's better than arms at farm content and it's viable on any fight right into mythic. As for unique it has higher survivability than Arms/Fury, is easier to gear, is the only warrior DPS spec that can misdirect mobs, is the only sword/shield DPS spec in the game and is the most fun warrior DPS spec (due in part to basically being MoP fury with different icons).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    Because that guy claims retarded shit with almost every post. No joke.
    Yeah, no kidding. I guess being the only sword and board DPS spec, the only warrior DPS spec that can misdirect, and the only DPS spec that scales off tanking stats isn't unique at all.

I love Glad Stance. Sword and Board is such an iconic look but Protection spec doesn't quite do it justice, not to mention you can't dps in it. Glad was so much fun and exactly what I looked for in a playstyle since they slowed WW down to a bore. Apparently Blizzard didn't feel it was that important
    Glad Stance literally saved warriors for me this expansion after they lobotomized Arms and made Fury even more obviously RNG Grand Central. They did mention Gladiator and Fistweaving might make a comeback in the future as their own specs, so I'm hoping it's only gone in the short term rather than for good, because it had a great flavor and is a fun niche to play.
    Last edited by Thage; 2015-12-02 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

thanks for the input, folks. i barely raid atm so i enjoy my warrior in pvp. and tanaan dailies look less boring also. its a shame spec was nerfed cos it still looks interesting for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Glad Stance literally saved warriors for me this expansion after they lobotomized Arms and made Fury even more obviously RNG Grand Central. They did mention Gladiator and Fistweaving might make a comeback in the future as their own specs, so I'm hoping it's only gone in the short term rather than for good, because it had a great flavor and is a fun niche to play.
    This. Gladiator's Resolve is the only reason I kept playing my warrior and above all, even WoD. If they hadn't introduced that talent, I would have probably stayed unsubbed from the game after reaching level 100.

I agree with the carpal tunnel thing.

I played Glad in our Heroic Manno/Archi kill a few weeks ago for ring upgrades, and even though I was keeping up with quite a few of our DPS (not outperforming all, we just have some lackluster players) it's honestly super annoying to play. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty fun, but you basically have twice the ability spam because you use Heroic Strike almost on CD, plus shield charge which is off the GCD, other CDs off the GCD, etc.

After those two fights (one shots, very quick kills, we're 12/13 Mythic) my left hand hurt more than it does when I raid as Protection (main spec) for 4+ hours.

Also it's simply lackluster in comparison to the other DPS specs for reasons already stated - the nerfs were pretty hefty, and it's hard to keep Glad in line without making Prot super good.

I loved playing Glad in Highmaul, when progressing Twin Ogrons Mythic I felt like such a badass with all the mobility and high activity, if I derped fire I would shield barrier a lot of the damage away, and rage generation was quite strong too so it didn't feel shit. It was good fun times for me and I didn't feel overwhelmed by the GCD spam due to the way I handled it.

That said though, while it had good averaged dps (on 1-2 targets it was a major contender for top dps) it never did really have the tools for raiding that Arms/Fury have and we only played it in HM because Arms/Fury were initially not that great, I think Gladiator had the best single target before Arms got the insane mastery buff, after which point it was pointless to play Glad since Arms was now supreme on almost everything, then in T17 we had both Fury and Arms decimating Glad for most fights and the spec died.

I really think that Glad should have stayed as a baseline for Prot Warriors, it worked very well as a system to allow Prot Warriors to do respectible damage with a sword and board and still remained near identical to the tanking playstyle, there's no reason at all why they can't just continue with that.. This whole class fantasy and constantly gutting out specs in this effort to give us action bars with 3 spells on them is taking away from the depth of the game that we love.. We're getting close with some classes that you could play them with a SNES controller. They are doing it because they are scared of overwhelming and scaring off new players, while at the same time not caring that they may be alienating old players.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2015-12-08 at 02:20 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4