Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Number of Guilds Still Raiding

The first week of 6.2 is coming to a close. As of this moment, 10,231 guilds have downed the first boss of HFC Normal, as tracked by wowprogress.com.

In contrast, 57,430 guilds are recorded as having downed Kargath N. In the first week of tier 15, 15,189 guilds had downed Jin'rokh on what was then called Normal mode (what is now Heroic).

Raid participation beyond LFR appears to be in serious decline.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Well let's see... we had Seige of Orgrimmar. Then BRF which is basically Red Seige of Orgrimmar. And now we have Green Seige of Orgrimmar. Not that they aren't obviously different raids with different bosses, but I won't say the creativity isn't lacking. BRF seemed to kill a lot of guilds for whatever reason. And 6.2 has absolutely nothing besides raiding to keep people interested in it so people who look for more than that are bowing out for now it seems. I don't doubt that the raiding community is starting to decline. My guild has lost a few people simply out of lack of interest anymore.

Deleted
    you're counting a majority 10 man guild tier and comparing them to a tier filled with 20 mans so of course the number will be lower in guilds.

People who are terrible at math never seem to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    10,231 guilds have downed the first boss of HFC Normal, as tracked by wowprogress.com.

In contrast, 57,430 guilds are recorded as having downed Kargath N.
    Did you ever fight Kargath (aka Loot Pinata)? That fight was such an intro it really shouldn't be viewed as a legitimate boss encounter.

I've noticed that too. Pugs are far and few today. Group Finder is great, but good luck finding a group for your alt as a pure DPS class that doesn't require ilvl above the difficulty.

You also can't really compare Jin'Rokh to now, 10m and 25m guilds existed back then and there were a lot of 10m guilds. How many guilds killed a boss in normal BRF? Either Hanz, Beastlord, or Gruul/Ore are good first bosses. Kargath data is going to be skewed as it was the start of the expansion and 3m people came back to try it out. How many guilds killed the first raid boss in MSV?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Real homie View Post
    you're counting a majority 10 man guild tier and comparing them to a tier filled with 20 mans so of course the number will be lower in guilds.

People who are terrible at math never seem to amaze me.
    They never seem to amaze you?

You have to look at heroic if you want to really see what is going on. Not much point in looking at flex. Unless we have come to the point where we consider that raiding.

The figures at heroic level are even more dire than at normal so not exactly a valid point..

Are you really comparing an instance after 6 months to an instance after 6 days?

It is purely anedoctal, but I checked my realm on WoWProgress and was surprised how few guilds were doing both Normal and Heroic. It is deffinitely less than first week of Highmaul (where I myself was raiding, btw).

Maybe it is just an impression, but an impression that feels like a bad sign, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    You have to look at heroic if you want to really see what is going on. Not much point in looking at flex. Unless we have come to the point where we consider that raiding.
    Ssshhh, stay on topic. No one wants to hear your elitist point of view on other raid difficulties.

OT: I agree with what the others are saying. Look at raids released later in an exp, but also keep in mind that Kargath was a joke so more people were able to take him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Casagrande View Post
    Are you really comparing an instance after 6 months to an instance after 6 days?
    Presumably any guild that was raiding would have been ready to jump into HFC on normal mode in the first week. This is not the start of the expansion when people might have still been leveling up.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Wowprogress doesn't have a way to track multi guild raids so the info is skewed a great deal. Mix that in with the old 10 man guilds that joined forces with others in an effort to get to or go above a 20 man roster and it is going to look like less guilds are raiding. It is also the first week, some groups don't want to touch normal so that isn't a great place to grab your info. Just because somebody didn't raid normal doesn't mean they didn't raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Presumably any guild that was raiding would have been ready to jump into HFC on normal mode in the first week. This is not the start of the expansion when people might have still been leveling up.
    Or they would have just jumped right into heroic and skipped over normal and it's much lower item lvl loot. If you were clearing BRF in heroic or doing mythic at all then normal is a waste of time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Or they would have just jumped right into heroic and skipped over normal and it's much lower item lvl loot. If you were clearing BRF in heroic or doing mythic at all then normal is a waste of time.
    The total number of guilds with ANY tracked progress in HFC at this point (meaning, the guilds has downed any boss on any difficulty, as a guild) is about 10,750. Not significantly different.

I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

The total number of guilds with ANY tracked progress in HFC at this point (meaning, the guilds has downed any boss on any difficulty, as a guild) is about 10,750. Not significantly different.
    Those numbers can't be looked at side to side though. Seeing how many people could be counted twice while others only did one or the other. In normal and heroic you can get up to 30 people in there too, in addition to having more then one raid in a guild. The number of accounts killing bosses is the only way you can really look at the info and those are numbers we don't have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    This is also a mindset people should adopt at least to some degree. Why so many get hung up on what some stranger may or may not be doing thousands of miles from them is insane, at least in the world of video games.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    You should care, since Blizzard will alter content based on participation.

The first week of 6.2 is coming to a close. As of this moment, 10,231 guilds have downed the first boss of HFC Normal, as tracked by wowprogress.com.

In contrast, 57,430 guilds are recorded as having downed Kargath N.
    The quoted part of your comparison is idiotic. Kargath has been out for almost the whole expac. HfC has been out a week.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Well flex is what both Normal and Heroic use now so I guess there's no point in looking at these either? By your logic only Mythic matters and we currently have 0 kills.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

You should care, since Blizzard will alter content based on participation.
    But I as a raider don't have any power. The only thing I can do is continue to play the content I enjoy.

I don't choose who cares about the parts of the game I play.
    Last edited by MilesMcStyles; 2015-06-29 at 10:07 PM.