Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Games you started playing way after their release.

Hello,

Which game(s) did you start playing waaaay after their initial release?
    Did you think the game wouldn't be any good, where you too busy playing other games, did you never even know the game existed?

For me, I picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012) past December '15. I knew the game was out but it was turn-based strategy that didn't look interesting to me.
    I've always been a RTS fan and sitting out on turns was just something I couldn't get my head around. This came to be when playing games like WC1/2, C&C etc in the early 90's, and then M.A.X. came out ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechani...26_Exploration ). I installed it and found out it was turn based. Didn't like that at all haha. So completely walling off TBS games for years to come it was Hearthstone that made me rethink turn based.

XCOM then flew by when I left Youtube running after watching something else and it had a weird attraction to it. Viewing more and more vids about it and amazingly the same day Steam put it in it's winter sale.

I installed it and have yet to boot up any other game since I first played it. I'm loving it! If I hadn't blocked turn-based all together I'm sure I would have played the hell out of it back in 2012. Needles to say, XCOM broke that wall for me and I'm sure I'll be trying a lot more turn-based games from this point on. :-)

Whats your game, your story?
    Last edited by Nutri; 2016-01-07 at 10:10 AM.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Borderlands 2 about 1 year after it came out, a friend of mine bought it and was totally stunned and convinced to get it too and play together with him.

So did i and man i had a blast, loved this game, one of the best i have ever played. Diablo 3 in first person perspective and with these lovely graphics, and no other game came even remotely close to borderland's humor!

Deleted
    KOTOR 2, started recently (but not my main game atm so only few first quests).

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, quite a few...

Baldur's Gate 1/2 - released in 1998/2000, played in 2014.
    Planescape: Torment - released in 1999, played in 2015.
    Neverwinter Nights - released in 2002, played in 2013.
    Neverwinter Nights 2 - released in 2006, played in 2014.
    Witcher 1 - released in 2007, played in 2015.
    Witcher 2 - released in 2011, played in 2015.
    Starcraft 2 - released in 2010, played in 2012.
    Diablo 3 - released in 2012, played in 2014.
    Dragon Age: Origins - released in 2009, played in 2011.

Mostly it was just that I delayed playing a game for so long (always had quite a few other games in my list) that I would forget about it and then hesitate to pick it up, since it would be quite outdated already. Glad I brought myself to play Planescape: Torment last October after 16 years of delaying, it is now my favorite game ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    dragon age origins, heroes of the storm and torchlight

Space Invaders - started playing that a good 2 years after release.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Dark souls 2.. Only just started start of this year.

I recently learned how to play chess about 3 years ago.

I didn't pick up World of Warcraft until a little over a year after its initial release. It came out around November 2004, and I didn't start playing until December 2005.

I didn't play Mass Effect until the ME3 shitstorm brought the series to my attention. I'm glad I waited because playing 1-3 back to back was an amazing experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just started playing the original Witcher. I bought it on a Steam sale a couple years ago and just got around to trying it. Once I get through this, I have Witcher 2 ready to go as well.

Probably the majority of titles I played in the last years. I mostly pick up games only when they're on some kind of sale nowadays. Still have a dozen of games waiting for me on my Steam account I didn't have time to play yet. Those Castlevania games, Dark Souls 2, Bioshock Infinite and other stuff ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Half Life 2: Played it back in like 2011 or 2012. It was alright. Definitely don't understand why people think it is one of the best games of all time.

LoZ: Ocarina of Time: Played it in like 2012 I wanna say. I think it was before the 3DS remake. Unlike Half Life 2 I can definitely understand why people think OoT is so special even though it wasn't mind blowing when I played it.

I am currently playing through the DS remake of FF4. I also purchased FF7 and I'll be playing that for the first time soon.

Working on platinuming all of the remasters of my favorite PS2 franchises like Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper. Although this will be like the 10th time replaying those games because I've been playing them since they released.

Honestly though I really play a lot of older games. Especially now since I am in a kinda retro gaming mood. I generally play 3 or 4 big releases each year and then fill in the gaps with older games. I need to beat Chrono Trigger as well.

Just about everything AAA. My backlog is so large I wait for games to be under $10 before I bother.

Dark Souls and Bioshock 3 are on the list to be played very soon. Also grabbed the latest starcraft 2 xpac for a few bucks so ill play through that over the next few months.

So many... too many to count....

I tend to wait for 75% discounts for games on Steam. Ergo, many of the games I owe I started playing well after their release dates. (I prefer this way- as many of the games come with DLCs already included, so there's no need for repeat.)

Probably most console games as I do not own any consoles. I only play such games when they are ported to PC or I visit my sister a few blocks over.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ones that stick out the most are Bioshock and Mass Effect. I only think of those because I remember how blown away I was with them, they were so good. I remember for both games I ordered them on Amazon thinking "hm, this game looks pretty cool, I'll get it" and when I was all done I was so sad it was over and I wanted more of it. Bioshock became one of my all time favorite FPS games at least in the top 5 and Mass Effect became like a second life for me. I was so involved and immersed within the Mass Effect world that the other characters felt like real life friends to me, I actually cared for them that much. I spent so much time developing my character and building my relationships with the other characters so much. So you imagine how I felt when Bioware completely destroyed what could've been the Star Wars of the video game industry with that terrible fucking ending to Mass Effect 3. Even after 4 years since the game came out I still loathe that damn ending.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Most notably Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect. A ton of other ones though. Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR--I was already a huge fan of both series, so waiting 2 years to get them was a really long time for me.

I still haven't played Fallout or Bioshock (any of them), plan to soon though.

Deleted
    Chrono Trigger, were released 21 years ago and never released in europe. Got it on my 3DS last year and it was awsome, combat was so good.
    Did also play the Mass Effect series 2015 for the first time.

Then I buy games that are 1+ year old all the time. I have so many games to play already and I wanna finish a game before I move on and buy a new one. Its nice as you get them cheaper and with patch fixes too.

Only few games I buy at release are big AAA titles I know I will have fun with like Final Fantasy, Souls games and MGSV (even though MGSV was disappointing compared to the other MGS games). Most of the time those are always very good.