Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your 5 songs to save Rock/Metal

Lets say that for some reason it would not be allowed to create or play Rock/Metal music on the radio or play concerts, total ban.

Your job is to showcase 5 songs to bring to the ones in charge to try and change this rule and save the genres!

Which 5 songs would you choose to convice a "non believer" and if you want you can write why
    Pokemon X FC: 2423-3210-7902 - Fighting Safari - Meditite, Pancham and Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Hummm, 5 songs, that's rather hard to pick, given such a limit. I can't think of any of the top of my head at this moment in time
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted

...and like a fucking million more.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Before I Forget - Slipknot
    The Clansman - Iron Maiden
    Strutter - Kiss
    Hellraiser - Ozzy Osbourne
    Cotton Fields - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Paint It Black - The Rolling Stones
    Iron Man - Black Sabbath
    Blitzkrieg Bop - The Ramones
    We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions - Queen
    Thunderstruck - AC/DC

10+ Year Old Account
    I would need more information to even begin choosing songs, "for some reason" doesn't work, because in this situation, your job would be to pick 5 songs to discredit the specific reason for the ban. without a specific reason, this might as well be a "what are your top 5 rock/metal songs?" thread, and I'm pretty sure we already have one of those...
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-02-02 at 06:40 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Caladan Brood - Book of the Fallen

Paradise Lost - As I Die

Fates Warning - Guardian

Limbonic Art - Dynasty of Death

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno

Only 5 songs for the whole of Rock and Metal? Not really possible, but I will try to cover at least a couple of different subgenres. (With an emphasis on metal over rock.)

Power Metal - Powerwolf - We Drink Your Blood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFH4lQuRd3s

Heavy/Thrash Metal - Metallica - Master of Puppets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI

Progressive Metal - Dream Theater - Fatal Tragedy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vq6NevcLOQ

(although ripping out one song isn't really the way these albums are meant to be heard)

(Melodic) Death Metal - In Flames - Jotun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O32Ud0s-0aQ

(Hard) Rock - Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M

Still missing many metal genres. The most important one left out is probably Black Metal. And only one rock song as a "token representative".

As Schattenlied said, the specifc circumstances are kinda important for chosing the songs. Depending on whom I try to convince, I might not use the more extreme genres (Black Metal, Death Metal, etc.) at all. If it is someone with a classical music education I would probably pick only Progressive Metal or Symphonic Metal songs. (And maybe a Queen song or two.) If he likes Hip Hop or Rap I would pick Nu Metal. If he likes Country ... uh...Volbeat? Folk Metal? Would have to think a bit about that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rock:

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
    Can - Paperhouse
    Talk Talk - New Grass
    Swans - Helpless Child
    Slowdive - Alison

Metal:

Ne Obliviscaris - And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope
    Gorguts - Nostalgia
    ISIS - Garden of Light
    Deathspell Omega - Chaining the Katechon
    Primordial - Empire Falls

Deleted
    i don't know.. realistically it would be impossible to convince anyone who dislikes metal with any metal that's even bit more 'harsh' than stuff like Metallica and whatnot that people generally think first when talking about metal.

But let's see..

Periphery - Make total destroy. I love this stuff, whatever the subgenre is (i know term 'Djent' is often used but it's more of the guitar sound than anything else). And i love Spencer Sotelo. Must be one of my favourite singers. The vocal range is out of this world.

Born of Osiris - The composer. This is such a great song to me because of what starts soon after 3 minutes mark and how it blends into the song. I never thought i liked that kind of music but hearing it as a part of the music i listen to.. i don't know, it works.

Secret Sphere - Under the flag of Mary Read. And more specifically the 2015 new recorded version. Just a great song from very underrated band. They recorded this whole album again in 2015 but it seems it's no longer available in Youtube. Here's the old version though.

Machine head - Halo. My favourite REALLY heavy song. The intro is amazing.

Epica - The second stone. My favourite symphonic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz View Post
    Lets say that for some reason it would not be allowed to create or play Rock/Metal music on the radio or play concerts, total ban.

Your job is to showcase 5 songs to bring to the ones in charge to try and change this rule and save the genres!

Which 5 songs would you choose to convice a "non believer" and if you want you can write why
    The Non-believer Radio station is probably into "Diversity" like a lot of people are these days
    and probably thinks that most Metal / Rocks bands are made up of Angry White Males.

So I would also include: plus one track from Iron Maiden & 1 from Metaliaca

1. Sunn O)))
    2. Sunn O)))
    3. Sunn O)))
    4. Sunn O)))
    5. Sunn O)))

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said in my first post, this mostly just seems to be people posting their favorite songs.

In the case of a ban it would likely be because metal was perceived to be too aggressive or "hostile"... Your goal here is to convince a "non-believer", as the OP put it, most of you would be failing at that task rather horribly (aside from the couple people who posted some old rock songs and symphonic metal, like Epica)... The people you are targeting here don't need METAL!!!! thrust upon them, they need to be slowly brought into it through the lighter stuff first, or things that share attributes with current popular music, like Amaranthe, for example.

As much as I LOVE Amon Amarth, the last thing I would do is walk up to this person or group of people and go "Let's listen to Twilight of the Thunder God!", because that won't do anything for us, unless the guy we are presenting to just happens to be big on Norse mythology.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2016-02-04 at 06:08 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the premise of easing people in... prog and post have plenty to offer that is metal without muh darkness/aggression/etc.

Any of the poppier Devin tracks:

And some Isis:

Some Gojira for lyrics about animals and the environment (common people can relate to this!):

You can also think outside of the box and consider a hit that crossed genre boundaries:

Or you can be obvious and whip out any tried and tested classic as some people did earlier in the thread.

#1.Behemoth - O Father O Satan O Sun

(Both Black & Death metal elements well represented here, as well as your classic Satanism that metal needs)

#2.Havok - Give Me Liberty... Or Give Me Death

(Perfect Thrash metal song to save, and good political lyrical concept)

#3.Interpol - The Undoing

(This way indie is not lost)

#4.Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

(This way classic rock is not lost, and neither is the greatest song of all time)

#5.Baroness - Try To Disappear

(This way regular metal is not lost)

So from these 5 songs you have a basis to create rock/classic rock, black metal, death metal, blackened death metal, thrash metal, indie/alternative, and regular metal

Deleted
    I just need one, one that most people probably never heard before. It pretty much takes the best elements of rock music on both the strong and the calm aspects. (I'll guess I'll prepare myself for people calling it not "real" rock.)

Seriously, listen to this shit. :P Especially if you are a Megaman fan. :B

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only need 1 song.

If I was the authority in question, a lot of the entries would reinforce my decision to ban that stuff.