Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Disliking something that is overwhelmingly liked is not hipster, that's being a contrarian. Liking something terrible that no one likes and praising it as something it isn't is hipster.

Also sad I guess that GT is gone, I personally didn't browse them but apparently people here did and are praising them to be better than Slowtaku and trash like that.
    Nice try but you can't make up your own definition of a slang term that may have been around since before you where born. Hipster is going against popular belief in any direction. There is nothing wrong with it, and only young people actually think it's an insult because when they think of hipsters they think of the extreme hipsters who hate everything that is popular and love everything that is not.

I used that site years ago before they renewed the site, so much flamewars with Playstation vs xbox.

Am I the only gamer who's never even heard of them?

Loved their stuff way back before youtube. Their retrospectives were great and of course thats where i first saw AVGN doing his early work. But i imagine Youtube utterly rendered them redundant, i think the last time i visited their site was to see the E3 announcement of the Nintendo Wii.

Still though, shame they are dead but shitshows like Kotaku and Polygon still exist to say how gamers are dead and all games are for losers. What a world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I switched to GT years ago as my primary game news site when I had enough of the pretentious faux-mature criticism AKA incessant millennial whining of Gamespot. GT was [forums aside] a very muted and fair site. They'd be the last ones to jump on a 'this sucks' pity party wagon. Example: Gamespot's whining about DLC.

Gonna miss 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nice try but you can't make up your own definition of a slang term that may have been around since before you where born. Hipster is going against popular belief in any direction. There is nothing wrong with it, and only young people actually think it's an insult because when they think of hipsters they think of the extreme hipsters who hate everything that is popular and love everything that is not.
    Using it in that general of a way dilutes the term to being almost meaningless. Sorta like any time someone is anything other than happy, they're called salty now. It doesn't even mean anything anymore. Hipster, from what I've seen it used as for many years, would be someone that is on the far opposite end of the spectrum from mainstream—and most importantly—liking it for the express reason that it is NOT popular/well-known.

IE: Only listening to Chamber music. Or maybe they only like wearing 1970s used clothes picked up from a thrift store, etc.

By your definition, if someone doesn't like pepperoni on pizza, they're a hipster bc its the most common topping I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a shame. I just hope someone out there has uploaded their better videos to Youtube (like the retrospectives) before they sink into the abyss.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were literate and objective reviewers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    They were literate and objective reviewers.
    They didn't all die, did they?

Well, shit... There's this thing called Youtube. If they really want to review games, they're free to do so.

Personally I don't even know what this site was. From it's name I'd think it was a site with trailers for games, which makes no sense, because Youtube. So I doubt they need the "name recognition" to do their game reviews.

I noticed traffic problems recently, and some other signs of decay...but I never knew it was that bad

I hope the staff will land softly elsewhere.
    CU... ...or CF ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibut View Post
    Am I the only gamer who's never even heard of them?
    i honestly haven't heard of them either.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Didn't go there for the last 8 years, back in the time it was my no. 1 spot for trailers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I just saw this. Those guys were great. Their reaction to some of Sony's E3 announcements this past year were some of the best in the industry:

Damn this really sucks. I've known about them but I never really watched their videos except for the occasional review, but after watching this video it seems like I would've liked them.

For what it's worth, GT forums are still alive and active!?
    CU... ...or CF ?

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGoblin View Post
    For what it's worth, GT forums are still alive and active!?
    The forums might be but probably no news announcements on the actual site
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    The forums might be but probably no news announcements on the actual site
    Yea, it's well known - actually the very topic of this thread.
    CU... ...or CF ?

Used to be my favourite gaming site. Sadly, I think they made too many bad changes to the website, plus a dip in quality of the the content imo. Still really liked their video reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad to seem them go
    In all honesty I didn't visit the site anymore since they where bought up a year or two ago. Such a downfall in content :-/

Back in the hay days I watched them almost daily. Reviews, Countdown, Screw Attack items, AVGN, Retrospect, Final Bossman, Watcha Playin' Ash, even Patcher was okay from time to time. It was all good and fun to watch. I also found their reviews the most transparent compared to other site with similar video reviews during the '00s.

ScrewAttack is still around if I wanted to see their content but somehow I just don't go there :-P Might need to change that...

- - - Updated - - -

http://twinfinite.net/2016/03/former-gametrailers-new-company/

Seems part of the crew is starting a new company called Easy Allies.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by Drekha View Post
    Sad to seem them go
    In all honesty I didn't visit the site anymore since they where bought up a year or two ago. Such a downfall in content :-/

Back in the hay days I watched them almost daily. Reviews, Countdown, Screw Attack items, AVGN, Retrospect, Final Bossman, Watcha Playin' Ash, even Patcher was okay from time to time. It was all good and fun to watch. I also found their reviews the most transparent compared to other site with similar video reviews during the '00s.

ScrewAttack is still around if I wanted to see their content but somehow I just don't go there :-P Might need to change that...

- - - Updated - - -

http://twinfinite.net/2016/03/former...s-new-company/

Seems part of the crew is starting a new company called Easy Allies.
    Hey, that's excellent news. Thanks for sharing!
    CU... ...or CF ?