Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    man seems like we get this thread every week.

Also no

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Vasectomies are reversible.
    And pointless as punishment or as a way of preventing crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    As many have said here before, forced sterilization isn't going to accomplish anything except for the fact that the person can't have kids. Will a repeat rapist go out and rape again? Probably. Will a teacher who likes to have sex with her underage students stop doing it if the chance arises? Probably not. I mean, when you think about it, it's really not much of a threat to make someone really want to stop their criminal ways...."We're going to sterilize you!" "Oh no..please don't stop me from having children I really don't want in the first place" Chemical castration might be a more meaningful threat. Also found this article...might be a little old, but still some interesting things in it.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93947&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    Nixx is just looking at it from a Social Justice Warrior point of view she is not using logic
    I think she's approaching it with more logic than you are. She's asking "What purpose would it serve?". You, however, are thinking about taking revenge.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    so you against stopping unwanted children being born into this world that will be unloved unwanted

your a class act great morals you have there

i would rather not see children suffering but hey that's just me i guess
    Try reading...it helps. I said, since you can't comprehend.....threatening sterilization would do nothing to people who don't want kids in the first place.

It'd certainly be a fair deterrent to rapists. Perhaps child abuse too, like in those faith healing incidents where, if they had another kid, they'd just kill it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm pretty against violating bodily autonomy, especially for something as petty as revenge.
    Are we not violating that when we put people in jail? Jails tend to get a reputation of a whole lot of bodily violating going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It'd certainly be a fair deterrent to rapists.

Not really, since it just leaves them unable to reproduce. I don't think Rapists are doing it to impregnate women.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only entertain sterilization for repeat offenders. If you end up in State Prison multiple times for the same (violent) offense, then I would consider it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Justiceright View Post
    So in our class, we had a debate as for the ethicacy of forcible sterilizations of very serious violent criminals. Some of the arguments were that children born from convicted violent criminals tend to have a much higher risk of becomming a criminal when compared to the general public even when income and education was factored. And the point is if we'd just serialized all serious violent criminals as part of the condition for the possibility of parole, that could dramatically cut down violent crime.

Do you support the notion that ALL seriously violent crime (Rape, Child molestation, serious assault and battery, etc) should carry a mandatory life sentence, and that the possibility of parole will be added IF the criminal agrees to the sterilization?

IMO, if you violate the law, you give up your right to reproduce. I personally do not see the right of reproduction as a fundamental human right if you are a violent individual. Society has the obligation to protect the right of life and safety for everyone. You are not just effecting yourself, you are effecting another person: the person being born. But a counter point is that this would be a slippery slope to potential serious human rights violations...

What are your thoughts on this issue? I'm a bit torn...
    I suspect your class discussion was regarding castration, not sterilization. The effect of castration is much more immediate to the issue of raping new victims.

Sterilization makes no sense at all since nearly any study you can find will tell you violent behavior is much more commonly passed to a new generation via upbringing than via lineage. If you take out 3rd chromosome cases, I would assume there isn't much left to stand on in regard to genealogy of violent/rape behavior.

However, I'm not sure how you could define castration or sterilization as being outside the bounds of "cruel and unusual punishment".

10+ Year Old Account
    Evading your ban to continue posting these threads is not tolerated.