Thread: NO Motivation!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry NO Motivation!

How do i get more active and go to the gym/for a run??

I brought all the right clothes but just wear them around the house!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It takes at least 3 weeks~ to form a habit. You need to drop the excuses and just go. It's as simple as that and obviously harder than it sounds. You don't really leave a whole lot in the information department for anyone to give you advice but it's always going to boil down to the same shit. You have to pick yourself up off your computer chair and just go to the gym or wherever you need to be to exercise. In fact you don't even need to leave your home if you don't really want to. Body weight exercises are easy and can be done anywhere. Get your ass moving and get the ball rolling. Everything else will come in time but it's up to you and you alone to get started. The hardest thing isn't working out, it's getting yourself inside the gym.

Deleted
    Buy some equipment and you can and just work out at home. if you can't bring yourself to the gym, bring the gym to you!

What are your goals anyway, fat/weight loss, or building mass?

Get out once (perhaps when it's getting dark outside if you feel that people are judgy), start small - like 7-10 minutes. Stop before you pass out and can't use your legs or lungs anymore, take walking breaks when you need it.
    If you're anything like me, you get runner's high, and it starts feeling amazing after a few times - even during the run.
    You can time yourself to compare you to yourself on other days. Watch yourself improve, slowly increasing distance, reducing time per distance and/or taking shorter walking breaks, and that's good motivation for the next time you go running.
    And until you get in the real habit of it, no excuses. Once I make the first excuse that it's too cold, I'm a bit tired, whatever, then it's 50/50 if I go the next day as well. Save it for real emergencies, or go for a walk instead.

Gym I can't help you with, I could never find any motivation there.
    Best Zindai EU
    Quote Originally Posted by cqwrteur View Post
    I am not one person.

How's your diet?

If you're eating crap, rectify that first.

When I was eating badly AND I was slightly overweight, I found it hard to eat healthy AND exercise.
    Concentrate on eating well for a couple of weeks. No refined sugar.

Once you've got into the habit of eating healthily, bring in the exercise. It's much easier to do one thing at a time.

>That face when one of OP's other posts is replying that an ice cream cone "looks like heaven."

....Yeah...work on diet before exercise.

Do pushups, situps, side straddle hops while waiting for your dungeon/pvp queues. Set up some sort of personal game with it, for every killing blow, do 10 sit ups, for every death, 10 pushups etc something as simple as that every day can at least get you to feeling stronger and then next thing you know, you've built yourself a habit and you'll want to do more.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    I've tried going to the gym in the past, and it has never worked for me. I quit after some time, didn't enjoy it at all. Some time ago, I bought some equipment at home (pull-up bar, some dumbbells, etc.) and I've been doing workouts at home. I'm seeing better results than ever and I'm feeling great. It also makes me motivated to do cardio, something I've struggled with enjoying in the past.

I would whole-heartedly recommend doing home workouts. Especially when you start off, it's practically free, though you might want to purchase a set of dumbbells if you're very new to it, and add a pull-up bar as well, costing you at most a total of 50€. The amount of exercises you can do with your own body weight is staggering, and you can find many plans and tutorials for home workouts online.

And as other people have gotten to it, the right diet is very important. What I would absolutely NOT recommend, though, is changing everything immediately. When you start working out and being healthier in general, one of the worst things you can do is go running for 2 hours a day every day. That's the biggest motivation killer you could find. What I did to begin with, and what I would recommend for everyone, is change one thing in your diet and your lifestyle at a time, adapting it into your daily life. For example, change that breakfast from frosty flakes to oatmeal, and do that every day. Change nothing else for a few weeks. Get into the habit of having that one thing changed for good before you start off with another. There are lots and lots of detail that go into eating the right kinds of carbs, your macros and all that. You're a beginner. You don't need that information, really. You need to eat what's relatively healthy, you need to eat in the right proportions and often enough. Allow yourself time to adjust, because it will take time. The details will come later.

Going back to working out, I feel like one of the strongest things a beginner can do is to wake up twenty (or however many) minutes earlier every day and just walk. Don't take time for breakfast, just drink a glass of water and get out and walk for a while. Don't even have to be fast at walking. Your levels of energy will rise dramatically, you'll feel a surge of motivation that doesn't seem to stop, your posture will improve and that's where it all starts, man. Just get out and walk. Do that every day, and it will become a habit. Once that's a habit, you'll start going for more and more and more. Just be realistic with yourself. Go slow and really take the time to go through every step, because that's how you'll eventually pull yourself through it all.

TL;DR:
    - get up early every morning and just go for a short walk. That's where the change starts
    - change one thing in your diet at a time, not all of it
    - working out at home may be the thing for you. It's cheap and effective

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Do pushups, situps, side straddle hops while waiting for your dungeon/pvp queues. Set up some sort of personal game with it, for every killing blow, do 10 sit ups, for every death, 10 pushups etc something as simple as that every day can at least get you to feeling stronger and then next thing you know, you've built yourself a habit and you'll want to do more.
    This.

Exercise is a habit. Build the habit, even if it's only 10 minutes a day.

Going to the gym is not for everyone. I finish work at 5pm and the gym is super busy. Literally have to queue for the benches.
    Buy a home workout DVD. Insanity is fantastic. Probably the best £90 I've ever spent. Doesn't work for everyone mind.

Deleted
    I have a habit of not having habits, the best thing for me! (according to my brain)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like posting memes, but I think this one is appropriate here:

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Get someone to agree to go to the gym with you that way you have to go or else you will let them down. After it becomes habit you won't need them anymore but its still nice to have company. I hired a trainer so I would be obligated to go and now I get up at 4:30 3 times during the week and 6:30 on the weekends to workout on my own.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me once I'm changed that's it, I AM exercising without fail.

One of the main things that I did was this.

I made going to the gym in the beginning very easy and enjoyable.

I call it my habit forming Level Treadmill Plan.

The basics, is in the beginning, I would go to the gym, and ONLY use the treadmill to jog for 5 mins. And that's it. If I feel like it I could play around with machines or weights, anything extra was a bonus sidequest. But the main quest was just to go on the treadmill for 5 mins. No pressure, something small like that made it extremely easy for me to go the gym.

And what you do is that every time you go to the gym, you increase the mins by 1 minute.

Also, I took it really slow for the first month, and only went to the gym 1 day a week. Most people would say that's not enough, but I say it's better than thinking about going to the gym 3 times a week, and not going at all. 1 day a week for the first month was manageable, and my plan was small enough that it worked.

I know some people recommend getting a workout plan, and doing like a whole workout in the beginning, but I like to think of it as playing an MMO and I'm in the started area, where they show noobs, how the system works etc. Going to the gym once a week in the beginning was my beginner stage.

Also, other things that I did that helped out alot was making sure I had it scheduled in my phone, so that I would get alerts 30 mins before the time I would go to the gym.

I also had a separate backpack or gym bag, that had 2 pairs of t-shirts, and 2-pairts of shorts, and 2-pairs of underwear and 2 -pairs of socks, so that it made it extremely easy for me to go to the gym. This way , when it came time to go to the gym, I didn't have to think about packing anything. My gym bag also had a pair of running shoes, a towel, and a locker. I think of this as the basic equipment you need to play an MMO.

One more thing that I did in the beginning, was I rewarded myself after each workout. It's kinda of counter intuitive, but it worked for me. What you do, is that after each workout, you go and do something you actually like. For me, I love eating Popeyes, and love eating out. So everytime, I finished going to the gym , in the first month, I would go eat out. I did this for the first month. After the first month, I didn't need to reward myself for going to the gym anymore. Think of the reward , like a quest reward items you get for doing a quest in an MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by langknowers View Post
    One of the main things that I did was this.

I made going to the gym in the beginning very easy and enjoyable.

I call it my habit forming Level Treadmill Plan.

The basics, is in the beginning, I would go to the gym, and ONLY use the treadmill to jog for 5 mins. And that's it. If I feel like it I could play around with machines or weights, anything extra was a bonus sidequest. But the main quest was just to go on the treadmill for 5 mins. No pressure, something small like that made it extremely easy for me to go the gym.

And what you do is that every time you go to the gym, you increase the mins by 1 minute.

Also, I took it really slow for the first month, and only went to the gym 1 day a week. Most people would say that's not enough, but I say it's better than thinking about going to the gym 3 times a week, and not going at all. 1 day a week for the first month was manageable, and my plan was small enough that it worked.

I know some people recommend getting a workout plan, and doing like a whole workout in the beginning, but I like to think of it as playing an MMO and I'm in the started area, where they show noobs, how the system works etc. Going to the gym once a week in the beginning was my beginner stage.

Also, other things that I did that helped out alot was making sure I had it scheduled in my phone, so that I would get alerts 30 mins before the time I would go to the gym.

I also had a separate backpack or gym bag, that had 2 pairs of t-shirts, and 2-pairts of shorts, and 2-pairs of underwear and 2 -pairs of socks, so that it made it extremely easy for me to go to the gym. This way , when it came time to go to the gym, I didn't have to think about packing anything. My gym bag also had a pair of running shoes, a towel, and a locker. I think of this as the basic equipment you need to play an MMO.

One more thing that I did in the beginning, was I rewarded myself after each workout. It's kinda of counter intuitive, but it worked for me. What you do, is that after each workout, you go and do something you actually like. For me, I love eating Popeyes, and love eating out. So everytime, I finished going to the gym , in the first month, I would go eat out. I did this for the first month. After the first month, I didn't need to reward myself for going to the gym anymore. Think of the reward , like a quest reward items you get for doing a quest in an MMO.
    How much weight have you lost in whatever time frame?

I've lost 30 lbs since October 2015 to now. So about 5 months. From 200 lbs to 170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sammie13 View Post
    How do i get more active and go to the gym/for a run??

It's just something you have to force yourself to do at first. Find a reason and just do it.

For me it was my family always giving me shit for being fat, and my grandmothers dying wishes were for me to get back with my fiancee and lose weight. She passed in October and I started exercising in November, I was 260 and now I'm 200. I also went on an EXTREME diet too, no carbs, no fat, 1100 calories a day, no snacks, etc. I've also gained substantial muscle mass in addition to losing weight so I'd wager I've "lost" about 80lbs of fat total.

I'd suggest not running at first. Running is very hard on a person who just started exercising and it's very easy to become demoralized. I'd suggest bike riding or swimming, they're less strenuous and they'll start to get you into shape and when you feel comfortable with where you are and/or want to up the challenge of working out, that's when you start running. True running is the best way to lose weight and/or gain cardio, but trust me don't start there or you'll find yourself making excuses to not exercise

TL;DR running isn't fun at first, do something else and ease into running

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

I used to be a tub of lard but my friend invited me to a rowing club. I lost about 20 kg in 6 months in there. That was a some years ago. Now a bigger friend of mine wanted to start working out so I invited him to the gym with me to lift and do cardio sessions and he's lost about 15kg in the 4 months we've been at it.
    I just wanna say that if you lack the confidence at first it's good to find a gymbuddy. It's good for both confidence and motivation. DO IT

Why would you make yourself go to the gym?

It's a total turn-off. Nobody has any fun in gyms. If they're saying it, they're lying to themselves first and to everybody else afterwards. Working out in the gym is brainless and boring as fuck. If you wanna do it, you need to develop a guilt trip that's strong enough to keep you at it, or really start measuring your personal well-being on how people judge your physique. That's the key to working out in the gym: insecurity and feelings of inadequacy.

How about doing something that actually has an additional value, instead of lifting things and putting them back down like an ape? Take up a sport, or martial arts, or something. Go outside, breathe in the world, make friends, become part of a new community, learn things and get to know your body, compete. Have something that actually enriches your life. Before you know it, the whole losing weight, gaining physical fitness etc. blah becomes a side benefit - it's all the other things you get that make it worthwhile and make you stick. You can always supplement that with a little bit of an additional, specific muscle workout and cardio.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2016-03-22 at 03:22 PM.

Best motivation is to have a partner that won't let you cheat yourself.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4