Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New casting animations?

We have seen amazing new melee animations for Legion but, there will be new casting animations? Sorry for my bad english

You don't generally cast in different ways for different spells, besides the difference between channeled/cast and area/single effects.
    A couple of classes will get things like how Shamans will supposedly cast from their Fist Weapon, but generally this will be reserved to the spell visuals (which are more pronounced than those of Melee classes).

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Mage has already received a load of improved spell animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You don't generally cast in different ways for different spells, besides the difference between channeled/cast and area/single effects.
    A couple of classes will get things like how Shamans will supposedly cast from their Fist Weapon, but generally this will be reserved to the spell visuals (which are more pronounced than those of Melee classes).

Direct cast and omni cast, for all the spells. It´s very sad. Warriors in Legion will have a bunch of different animations, whirlwind, execute, etc...

personally I've always felt that casting should involve the equipped weapon...otherwise what is even the point of carrying one?

Guild Wars 2 does it amazingly. WoW could learn a thing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcadin Storm-WAAAGH View Post
    what ? the character moves exactly the same, only the sparkles and particles are more. i guess you could say thats a new animation, but not using the weapon to cast is boring and makes no sense. I hope they live up to their promise to make use of the weapon as a caster. the stormkeeper from elemental shaman for example is too less imo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    personally I've always felt that casting should involve the equipped weapon...otherwise what is even the point of carrying one?

dont know about gw2, but FFXIV does it very well too

wow could definetely learn a thing in visuals

One of the things I liked about Rift was the way casters incorporated their weapons and off-hands.

The Night Elf male casting is horrible. I had really hoped animations were going to get revamped when they redid character models.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping they add (optional) casting animations for each of the weapon types. Like maybe conjuring a fireball from the tip of a staff, or along the edge of a blade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkoron View Post
    [SNIP]
    dont know about gw2, but FFXIV does it very well too

wow could definetely learn a thing in visuals
    That's what I most certainly enjoy about FFXIV. You actually feel like your are doing something with your staff/dagger/wand rather than just letting it be a stat-stick.
    Pre-HW and shields (not the buff, literally shields) on White Mage/Black Mage, however...

Else, they did make it less stiff when the character models was updated; from the regular "just wave these hands 1 millimeter (@Americans: 0.0393701 Inches) up and down and it looks like we're casting" to "let's shows some true dedication by throwing these hands back and forth!"
    Could've been done far better, though, by adding some new animation to said classes & race, although it might take some time to develop all those neaty swings.

The weapon is more of a focal point or stats. I mean to include the weapon in every cast makes it seem like the powers come from the weapon, whereas they come from you. Though that being said it would be awesome if they were involved somehow, like a quick whip of the weapon or some circular motions from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've felt that the casting animations for the worgen (both male and especially female) have sucked since they debuted. Play a shadow priest on one and you'll see what I mean. Female worgen extends her hand out in front of her so you'd expect that hand to be the one that the spell comes from, but you'd be wrong. It comes from the hand that's behind her. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by axlkix View Post
    Direct cast and omni cast, for all the spells. It´s very sad. Warriors in Legion will have a bunch of different animations, whirlwind, execute, etc...
    Caster classes make up for not having weapon swinging animations (they aren't using their weapons) by having much flashier visual effects.
    It is much easier to notice the lightning coming from your hands than a character's arms swinging around unless you are zoomed in during combat.

7+ Year Old Account
    this is a very cool topic, I agree with all the posts on this topic, We should use our Weapons as a part of our casting animations... what is the point with having a powerful weapon when you put it on your back... each and everytime you cast.

But in the end I think they Should have "if they make it" new Casting animation, with the Weapon... and the old casting animations to be a Choise, so if someone really loved the old ways, they could just go to a class trainer and get them back.

If you as me, a good game should have choises, so that each and every player can cover his/her needs

Agreed, Casting animations suck at the moment. I really hope they keep adding animations to the game. the more the better. Maybe even have a dance studio type feature to attached certain animations to spells and abilities, really customizing your character.

I think that they should open up for some new animations for casting with the weapon, especially the artifact weapon. I believe some spells are being channeled through the weapon, and that they wanted it to happen, but I am not quite sure and cannot be bothered to find the quote. In an ideal world, they would implement this with the new glyph system, where you choose individual non-combat effects for your abilities. With this system you could also choose what spells you wanted to be cast from your weapon and which from your hands, which spells you want chanted or read from your off hand and what-not.. That could be pretty awesome, and it would give us some diversity instead of either casting from your weapon OR your hands.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    If you as me, a good game should have choises, so that each and every player can cover his/her needs
    As long as it's an option I'd be fine with it, I prefer to cast from my hands. I'd also like the option to completely hide weapons on casters, I hate having a stick on my back. (and yes I know about the gas-powered or what's it called staff that turns invisible on your back, but it still shows when it's unsheathed and it's really ugly)

Regarding the animations however, unfortunately with casters it's only the spells that get visual updates, the casting animations itself stay the same. (at least they were updated with the new models)

I would really love for some alternative casting animations, I can't stand the way female belfs and both nelfs release a spell with both hands, would much prefer the one handed casting (i.e. humans, male belfs, undead, etc.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcadin Storm-WAAAGH View Post
    Casting animations =/= Spell effects.

OT: I wish casters got better animations and I wish casters would use their weapons instead of just having them on their back or hanging by their waist.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaDuke View Post
    The Night Elf male casting is horrible. I had really hoped animations were going to get revamped when they redid character models.
    they did. Directed casting looks so awesome now, not the "light of a feather stiff as a board"thing it was before.
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Caster classes make up for not having weapon swinging animations (they aren't using their weapons) by having much flashier visual effects.
    It is much easier to notice the lightning coming from your hands than a character's arms swinging around unless you are zoomed in during combat.
    Shadows makes up for not being melee? Minblast doesnt have an animation since when? Mindflay is kinda hard to see sometimes, VT doesn have an animation neither does shadow word pain. Also the new Shadow word void also has no animation.. atleast voidform got some attention.