Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are all popular games destined to have a "toxic" community?

I have toxic in quotation marks because it's really not any worse than any other form of social media. It's just reflective of a real life scenario with a large group of diverse individuals.

When I played EverQuest for years prior to WoW, the community was generally really awesome. People went out of their way to help. It's was a 'niche' game. WoW then got huge. Really huge. And there wasn't like a very specific group of like minded individuals it catered to, it just welcomed anyone. While that might sound great, it definitely didn't feel like a better community.

Even other "small" MMOs that popped up with smaller communities felt better. Rift was amazing. GW2 was great. There will always be assholes, but generally games with a focused audience seem to play nicer together. When you just have a ton of ingredients in the pot, it gets pretty volatile.

Same could be said for CoD, LoL or any other extremely popular multiplayer game. Meanwhile it's the smaller games that seem to have better communities.

True/False?

Pretty much. Final Fantasy XIV have managed to pull it off decently though, I've only encountered 2 toxic people in that game ever. People are generally trying to help people to improve rather than call them names and rage quit in that game.

Any time there is some competative nature or random matchmaking it's bound to get ugly.

It is more common now, ppl don't want to waste their time to guide ppl.

Played FF14 and I have to say the community is pretty much amazing. Occasional toxics but very rare. But yeah most games communities are a joke. LoL, Cod and WoW being 3 well known ones.

Any game seeking a stake in the esports scene will have a largely toxic community due to the nature of competition combined with anonymity and people trying to prove how alpha they are in a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding community size, I know of a game with a very small playerbase, yet a toxicity that knows no limits: Gunz the Duel. Good Lord...

I think this comic sums up the attitude some people have perfectly.

But really, it tends to be relative. Some games will seem more overrun with assholes because of the sheer number of people playing it.

Any game with a segregated playerbase will have toxic community.

Quote Originally Posted by Morssoe View Post
    It is more common now, ppl don't want to waste their time to guide ppl.
    Which I sort of understand, as for most popular games, especially MMOs, there is a wealth of material on-line to which people can refer to for help. So it can easily seem that those asking for help are just being lazy and not looking things up for themselves, but would rather waste others' time. That certainly is not always the case, but it sometimes is, perhaps often enough to become an annoyance for people.

In the olden days of EQ and it's pleasant community, there weren't necessarily many online resources for reference.

Single-player game communities aren't nearly as bad as MMOs or MP games, which is interesting. There must be some sense of competition affecting attitudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

10+ Year Old Account
    My first introduction to MMOs was Ultima Online. Other than griefers, the community was amazing. We had people who would wait at the starting point and offer, for free, to help people out. I used to give out starter packs of gear. People in general were amazing. But yes, there was the occasional asshole. I'd say maybe 10% of the whole gaming community was bad.

Next up was EQ. Like UO, I got a lot of help, and I gave a lot of help. But it seemed like there were more assholes this time around, people would do the whole childish name calling in zone chat and whatnot. I'd say a good 30% of the whole gaming community was bad.

Then was FF13. I was stationed in Japan when it released, and I started on the JP servers. I have never met a community so nice and dedicated to helping others. I never once ran across a single asshole the whole time. However, eventually the game hit the states (I had to start all over because my JP account wouldn't transfer :-(), and the influx of Americans absolutely killed it. It got so bad that the Japanese stopped accepting Americans into their link shells and even grouping up with them was a rare occasion. Because Americans were fucking assholes, through and through. I watched my beloved game fall into a cesspit of name calling and childish behavior. I'd say at least 70% of the US population of FF13 were complete asshats, and seemed to enjoy doing it.

Now, I have played almost every sub-based MMO that has hit the states, I'm not going to list them all here. Most of them I didn't stay more than a month, and so none of them were noteworthy.

Finally, WoW. Back in Vanilla and BC, and even partly into Wrath, I think the community was pretty great. But the longer this game goes, the more toxic the community gets. I don't know if it's people coming from other games (like LoL or CoD or something) that just bring their bad attitudes, or if it's veterans of the game that are just getting burnt out but refuse to quit, and thus have a negative attitude. I'm not even going to try to put a percentage on WoW, because the environment is so toxic that it CREATES bad players at this point.

I have only played a combined maybe 6 months of FF14, but in the time I've played, I actually got a lot of help from people. Someone spent almost an entire 6 hours showing me around, explaining everything about the game, what I should look for in the classes I want to play, that sort of thing. I even got invited to a guild full of veterans helping out nublets. No hand-holding, I didn't have anyone come complete quests for me or anything like that, but they answered all of our questions, and one even gave me some gil. Out in the world though, I would routinely see people bitching and moaning in zone chat. It was typically people asking a question, and getting childish responses.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2016-03-20 at 09:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

It really depends on the game.

A lot of people here are going to argue what game is popular or not (according to their own opinions, whether the game actually is popular or not.)

Humans by nature are egoistic. Put them somewhere, where they are motivated to compete against others, and the more "true instinct" side will show. Depends whether the game have you compete directly or indirectly against others. PvP games where you actually 'kill' other players, will make the most toxic people.

Sports in general got rather toxic people, so as said, anything with competition against other people, directly or indirectly will make toxic community. Then it just depends how big the game and the community is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think all games with any kind of team play or PvP are going to attract a certain amount of people who cannot handle a failure and are going to express their emotions violently. So, yes, probably all popular games with online component. Single-player games are unlikely to form toxic communities though.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Competitiveness and group-oriented game-play I think is the bigger factor than popularity.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

well once you get enough ppl your eventually gunna let in undesirables look at the dota 2 community.

I guess when you have a game that you have to play for a set amount of time, if you start feeling that time being wasted then your gunna get pissed off.

still learning to play dota with players is like pouring acid in your eyes or it makes you want to pour acid in your eyes i think that was the one.

just as godwins law works on threads, as does the eventual toxicity of a player base grow proportional to the growth of said base.

in other words at any point in time, there are x number of asshats in the world and many games they could be playing. I don't think you can fault a game for being enjoyable. although when you've played eve for as long as I have there is no such thing as a toxic community just different levels of salt in tears.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-03-20 at 11:42 PM.

Deleted
    Competetive gameplay and the ingame meritocracies are the main source for elitism and toxic communities.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I swear like 80% of threads I've opened today were created by you...
    Sorry, bored as all hell today.

10+ Year Old Account
    All games are destined to have toxic communities

Even Nintendo Miiverse has people role playing sexual fantasy.....

The more people your game has the more likely your game is to have fuckwits.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Deleted
    I think accessibility has something to do with it as well. Complex games are less likely to attract the 'toxic' crowd I'd say, although I'm not sure how the EVE community is (as that game is quite complex).

Maybe complexity mixed with being 'not very popular'?

The best community I've ever been involved in was the one of Ascent: The Space Game. It's player base is small, but everyone help each other out all the time. Really nice.

Worst I've been in was LoL I guess, but that's a long time ago I played that.

No, but it requires work on the devs part to foster a positive one. Most devs don't consider that relevant though. It's certainly a fair point with single / coop games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."