Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    To me taxation is theft when that money is being spent on things other than what the explicitly constitution allows.

Things that are okay uses of tax dollars: Emergency services, the military, the justice system, public buildings

Things that are not okay uses of tax dollars: wealth redistribution, infrastructure, regulation of businesses, non-constitutional agencies
    Well Id go with this rule. If every single individual needs it, then its not a theft. Those things being, well, the stuff you listed. But when used on things only some need, its theft such as welfare, redistribution, all sorts of PC nonsense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Yeah. Is driving your car on a roadway that other taxpayers paid for, thus contributing to the wear-and-tear without paying taxes vandalism?
    Your argument is exactly the same as the videogame pirates. "You are not taking anthing away from them" and so on. There is a term for such behavior as the crime is very similiar to fare dodging. It's called "illegitimate obtaining services by fraud". It's merely a rough translation but it IS a crime.

To me taxation is theft when that money is being spent on things other than what the constitution explicitly allows.

Things that are okay uses of tax dollars: Emergency services, the military, the justice system, public buildings

Things that are not okay uses of tax dollars: wealth redistribution, infrastructure, regulation of businesses, non-constitutional agencies
    That's the mainreason for taxes.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-03-29 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    What is wrong with you? You want to go back to horse and buggy days?
    Infrastructure can be completely privatized as it is here in Japan and we have probably the best quality infrastructure of any country on Earth save Hong Kong or Singapore.

Deleted
    Imo, it depends on the amount/percentage and what "we" get in return.

I would like to see more influence (maybe through referendums) on our side on where the government spends it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Many on the fringe of the libertarian movement in the US hold this view of taxation, inherently being theft. What is your opinion on it? Personally I see it as a cost of living within a boundary.
    Many of those guys are batshit crazy why would anyone take anything they say seriously? It's the law of the land to pay taxes if you willingly live here you are obligated to either pay those taxes or move somewhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Not this horseshit again. The only wealth redistribution that is going on the US is from rich to poor.
    Thats cause some of the super wealthy cheat and dont follow the laws. That doesnt make it ok to steal from non-criminal rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Would you believe that public funds into infrastructure and regulation have have incredible above market ROIs?
    1) It is not the job of the government to obtain a ROI. That should be left to the individual. This is a fundemental problem with expansionary government. 2) No I would not believe you. In fact you tend to be wrong. Road infrustructure often needs tolls just to pay for upkeep, and the upkeep tends to be inefficient compared to roads created by the free market.

Now lets take the US Post Office. In the US the Post Office competes with UPS and Fed Ex. The US Post Office is government subsidized meaning they get a ton of money from people who don't use it. Between the UPS, Fed Ex and the USPS only one loses money every year. That would be the USPS.

Deleted
    Infrastructure can be completely privatized as it is here in Japan and we have probably the best quality infrastructure of any country on Earth save Hong Kong or Singapore.
    Marshall Plan says hello.

Yep, and France privatized the building of public roads which tend to be better maintained and cost much less.

Deleted
    You could privatize everything and then watch how companies slowly tighten the grip around your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitika View Post
    You could privatize everything and then watch how companies slowly tighten the grip around your throat.
    Well not everything can be privatized but infrastructure can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Thats cause some of the super wealthy cheat and dont follow the laws. That doesnt make it ok to steal from non-criminal rich.
    Where do you think all the money that the banks get from the state comes from?

15+ Year Old Account
    I see it as a forced purchase. Like it or not, you have to pay it to live where you're born or anywhere else where people already occupy or own the land. If you want out of that deal, you still have to pay it until you can afford to relocate.

I guess you could call it theft if you really want to, but it's theft that's absolutely necessary and gives a very generous return.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Marshall Plan says hello.
    I don't know what the Marshall Plan has to do with anything.

Deleted
    Well not everything can be privatized but infrastructure can.
    You badly need to experience the real world and spare us the adam smith institute crap.

Well Id go with this rule. If every single individual needs it, then its not a theft. Those things being, well, the stuff you listed. But when used on things only some need, its theft such as welfare, redistribution, all sorts of PC nonsense.
    The thing is that not only do they need it but you need them to get it. It's what keeps the economy going, otherwise they are just dragging everything down and you along with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me taxation is theft when that money is being spent on things other than what the constitution explicitly allows.

So where would you get the money to maintain all the roads etc. if you can't use taxmoney to pay for infrastructure?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    So fuck the poor, the disabled and the sick who can't afford treatment?

Deleted
    No, you don't...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I see it as a forced purchase. Like it or not, you have to pay it to live where you're born or anywhere else where people already occupy or own the land. If you want out of that deal, you still have to pay it until you can afford to relocate.

I guess you could call it theft if you really want to, but it's theft that's absolutely necessary and gives a very generous return.
    The only one who gets a generous return out of taxes are politicians and banks.

I'm starting to think I don't exactly know what that means.