Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Red face Canada to process 10,000 Syrian refugees ‘as fast as possible’

The Liberal government probably will not send officials back overseas to process Syrian refugees at the pace it did during the push to bring 25,000 to Canada, but says it has told the immigration department to find creative ways to expedite private-sponsorship applications submitted before March 31.

The government this week extended the period during which Syrian applications had priority, and estimates about 10,000 applications for private sponsorship are in the queue. It was forced to extend the deadline because of a public outcry over the slowed processing pace after Ottawa hit its goal of resettling 25,000 Syrians by Feb. 29.

Arif Virani, parliamentary secretary to Immigration Minister John McCallum, said the department is looking at ways to process private sponsorships of Syrians as quickly as possible. In a letter to sponsorship agreement holders this week, Mr. McCallum said applications received before March 31 will be finalized by the end of 2016 or early 2017.

“The minister has instructed the department to ensure that we get these done as fast as possible, and we’re looking to the department to come up with creative solutions,” Mr. Virani said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

While Mr. Virani doubts the government will reopen the temporary processing centres set up in Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon during the height of the Syrian resettlement process, he said it hopes to continue some processing methods used during that time.

“We expedited things a lot … because we were able to do concurrent processing, so I mean medicals and security checks simultaneously.”

Speaking in Washington on Friday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not say whether his government would boost staffing to deal with the increased number of privately sponsored Syrian refugee applications.

“We are in fact increasing the number of privately sponsored refugees that we will be accepting,” said Mr. Trudeau said when asked about the 10,000 applications.

“There is a clear demand from community groups and individuals across this country to make sure that they can do more to welcome in Syrian refugees as new Canadians.”

Mr. Virani also did not say whether the department intends to hire more officials to deal with the influx of applications, but indicated that the centralized processing office in Winnipeg may have staffing changes.

The government’s deadline extension on Wednesday night gave sponsors less than 24 hours to submit their paperwork. Sponsorship groups say the government has to invest in more resources if it hopes to process the 10,000 applications on time.

They are also encouraging the government to look “outside the box” to harness the current enthusiasm for sponsorships.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29502636/

Great to see! I for one am ready and prepared to do my part to help these newcomers.

10+ Year Old Account
    And then Canada's taxes went up again. They're not content with half your salary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've honestly never seen someone so adept at brown-nosing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29502636/

Great to see! I for one am ready and prepared to do my part to help these newcomers.
    You going to share your basement apartment?

Why are refugees being given priority over skilled immigrants who are applying also? Priority over spouses and families of current citizens?

Government needs to spend more time listening to the people and not special interest groups.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-04-02 at 11:10 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    He's going to share his bed!

Im all for helping and I welcome it, but our country is in dire straits and we really can't afford this. I love my countries willingness to help but we can't help if our economy buckles.

Deleted
    Hes gonna pull them double shifts at McDonalds too! CANADA YES!?

7+ Year Old Account
    Tennis they are going to make your society so good, Canada is really going to benefit from their life experiences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    And then Canada's taxes went up again. They're not content with half your salary.
    Federal tax on 90k income is 17.75% and the provincial rate is 7.10%. It's a far cry from 50% even if you include taxes on alcohol, gas and property.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are refugees being given priority over skilled immigrants who are applying also? Priority over spouses and families of current citizens?

Government needs to spend more time listening to the people and not special interest groups.
    My cousin is sponsoring a Syrian family. They bought a house a few years back and refinished the basement. It wasn't specifically for a refugee family but the timing made sense.
    Last edited by fengosa; 2016-04-02 at 11:24 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Im all for helping and I welcome it, but our country is in dire straits and we really can't afford this. I love my countries willingness to help but we can't help if our economy buckles.
    Man ... the blowback the next election cycle is going to be amazing.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

/Salut, oooh Canada- it has been nice to know thee

Such a waste of money, isn't the War on Syria basically over now anyway? There's talks of a Ceasefire going around and we're still importing Syrian refugees like they are going out of style. Instead of just focusing on welfare candidates, how about we follow Japan and only import refugees that can benefit Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Federal tax on 90k income is 17.5% and the provincial rate is 7.10%. It's a far cry from 50% even if you include taxes on alcohol, gas and property.

- - - Updated - - -

My cousin is sponsoring a Syrian family. They bought a house a few years back and refinished the basement. It wasn't specifically for a refugee family but the timing made sense.
    So you feel a tax rate of almost 25% on 90k is fair? That is basically 1/4 of your income....... Maybe the politicians could try to waste less and be a little less corrupt...

Soon we will have to build a wall in the north as well

I just remember the last time a Muslim migrant enriched Canada's culture:

"Marc Lépine (French pronunciation: ​[maʁk lepin]; October 26, 1964 – December 6, 1989) was a 25-year-old Canadian man from Montreal, Quebec, who in 1989 murdered 14 women, and wounded 10 women and four men[note 1] at the École Polytechnique, an engineering school affiliated with the Université de Montréal, in the École Polytechnique massacre, also known as the "Montreal Massacre".[1][2]

Lépine was born in Montreal, the son of a Canadian nurse and an Algerian businessman. His father was abusive and contemptuous of women. "
    Last edited by ramjb; 2016-04-02 at 11:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    So you feel a tax rate of almost 25% on 90k is fair? That is basically 1/4 of your income....... Maybe the politicians could try to waste less and be a little less corrupt...
    Yes. 10 chars.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Such a waste of money, isn't the War on Syria basically over now anyway? There's talks of a Ceasefire going around and we're still importing Syrian refugees like they are going out of style. Instead of just focusing on welfare candidates, how about we follow Japan and only import refugees that can benefit Canada?
    Haha, because doing something that would benefit Canada actually makes sense- so there is no way Politicians would agree to it. We have the same problem in the States.

When??????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    Its more then fair for the services we get....... actually the current government is lowering the cost for families and middle class in his next budget. So anybody doing 90k is happy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    When??????

- - - Updated - - -

Its more then fair for the services we get....... actually the current government is lowering the cost for families and middle class in his next budget. So anybody doing 90k is happy right now.
    Key word is "right now." The spending spree on the way is entirely dependent upon the upper brackets paying more in taxes. Except they're already starting to leave. The middle class is going to end up paying for all of it eventually.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's going to share his bed!
    He's goin to share his mangina.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

FYI each Syrian refugee gets 60 dollars a day for their meals and Canadians who are homeless get nothing from the gov't.