Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    So you want a MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game where you just play by yourself without anyone else?

Why.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    So you want a MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game where you just play by yourself without anyone else?

Why.
    Outdoor is solo content and always was. Some developers try to turn it into multiplayer, but it's just bunch of crutches and supports. Progress should be online. Multiplayer should be optional. If you want to do quests with your friends - do it. If you want to do 5ppls with other players - queue for them. If you want to do raids - find guild. But forced socialization - is nonsense.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabseeker View Post
    I always liked on elite quests, that req a lot of skill (mostly kiting, cd managment) for solo or just a party. Also i just watched a video about black desert, seems it isnt rly a "modern" mmo (i dont know how a game that you play solo is rly mmo)
    In order to experience the best part of BDO you have to be part of a guild in order to experience. (specifically node warfare). If you are playing BDO as a solo player and expect you experience everything then you are doing it wrong. Also just by how the market place works it inherently forces you into interaction via the tax system which is set by the guild controlling the city.

In my time playing BDO I have come to think about it as the more playable EvE.

Forced to adapt? WoW is the genesis of pretty much all things "modern MMO" at this point. As far as I remember, matchmaking systems like dungeon finder (and later raid finder) found their footing in WoW and have birthed similar systems in other games.

WoW needs to be forced to adapt to "what not to do in a MMO". One start would be to kidnap Yoshi-P from the FF14 team, lul.

15+ Year Old Account
    The entire point of playing WoW is to be social and play with others. That's why most endgame activities are tied into some form of a group. If I wanted to play solo I'd just pickup one of many single player RPG's as there's tons of good ones out there.

Over the years as other competition develops a new, cool feature WoW will typically implement it in their own format.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Forced to adapt? WoW is the genesis of pretty much all things "modern MMO" at this point. As far as I remember, matchmaking systems like dungeon finder (and later raid finder) found their footing in WoW and have birthed similar systems in other games.

WoW needs to be forced to adapt to "what not to do in a MMO". One start would be to kidnap Yoshi-P from the FF14 team, lul.
    Yup. I remember playing SWTOR that first month. Not having a group finder in the game was one of the many reasons I quit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

7+ Year Old Account
    The Name is "MMORPG" we play World of Warcraft for its MULTYplayer WORLD, so focusing a game like this on "soloable content only" would Ruin everything, they should focus on more Multiplayer content, just like the do in LEGION.

New Profession system (you need Interaction between different player professions to level your profession), Prestige leveling honor PVP system, Group quests ecc, this is what make it awesome.

There should also be Daily quest to send you off helping other players.

Balance is the key, that is why WORLD OF WARCRAFT is so amazing it got Balance and you are free to do what ever you want

7+ Year Old Account
    These millennials need to go play Call of Duty where they belong.
    Attention span of chickens without heads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laumex View Post
    What you're describing its not how a mmo should work.
    If i want solo content il play dark souls.
    Yeah this exactly. We've strayed far enough away from how Classic MMos were as is.

Forced to adapt? Not sure.

However, it's nice to see that designers are capable of recognizing that a game can have both single-player and multiplayer content.... there are a shocking number of people on this forum (and in this thread) who fail to recognize that it's possible to have both, and that one does not invalidate the other.

Then again, I expect these are the same sorts of people who think that if you're in an MMO you should always be talking to everyone around you, more people is better, and if you have any other opinion you have no business sullying their extroverted gameplay with your presence >.>

Edit: Though, I will comment that the WoD questing already largely followed the style of story modes in other games, in that what you did was largely disconnected from other players and was at times in scenario-like instances. Given that the mechanics of WoW strongly discourage and punish grouping up unless you actually need the strength of multiple players, and given that nothing outside of instanced content (ie dungeons and raids) requires that kind of strength, I don't really see that as being problematic.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I think MMO, I like to think it reflects reality in a virtual World.

As in; outside my house there are millions of people, I can "choose" to join up with others to do stuff, but I do a lot of things solo as well.

MMO's are like a World, to do difficult stuff you often need a group, to do normal things you can generally do Solo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post

Why.
    Some people like a persistent World where they have the CHOICE to play with others but do not always NEED to.

If everything in WoW required a group like FFXI did back in the day chances are it would be a dead game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    "MMO" is barely a meaningful designation anymore.

Nearly every game offers an open world multiplayer experience now. The only thing different about the "Classic MMO model", aside from core gameplay mechanics is that in the classic MMO model players are stuck fighting over crafting resources and thus don't like to see each other out in the world. Whereas in "non MMO" games seeing other players is fun.
    This is a huge point. When LotRO has disabled mob tagging, the cooperation in the open world increased dramatically (and it was already good, because a nice community and RP server). I have greatly enjoyed my personalised resource nodes in GW2. WoW should ditch tagging completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    When I think MMO, I like to think it reflects reality in a virtual World.

As in; outside my house there are millions of people, I can "choose" to join up with others to do stuff, but I do a lot of things solo as well.

MMO's are like a World, to do difficult stuff you often need a group, to do normal things you can generally do Solo.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people like a persistent World where they have the CHOICE to play with others but do not always NEED to.

If everything in WoW required a group like FFXI did back in the day chances are it would be a dead game.
    Also this. I don't need help every time I go to the supermarket just to collect some things for myself. I go shopping with my bf if we need to get food for the whole week, and he's got the car (while I pay for the food). In my work, I can handle some things completely alone, and need to cooperate on other tasks with my colleagues. It's totally plausible that you should have solo content in an MMO, in addition small group content (=family tasks IRL) and large group content (=cooperation/work tasks IRL).

Deleted
    I think it's a though cookie for them to find a good balance between the old and the new.

WoW is leaning heavily on long term players that don't seem to be able to deal with changes very well. But if they want to attract new players and actually want to keep them playing, they also have to change and adapt to what's popular right now.

Basically, Blizzard can never do it "right". There is always a group unhappy.