Thread: Teraflop

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Teraflop

How many of you just had to google what a teraflop is? I did. And I still don't get it, in regards to computing speed.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    How many of you just had to google what a teraflop is? I did. And I still don't get it, in regards to computing speed.
    A "flop" is the number of floating-point calculations that can be done in a single second. A floating point operation is a calculation between two or more figures where the decimal can float between significant digits allowing it to be rendered in a standard and extensible notation (allowing each numeric quantity to require less memory to store). A teraflop, specifically, is one million million or 10^12 flops or floating point operations per second.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially what Aucald said. It's a number for pure compute power but it's not a great measure of gaming performance due to reliance on other GPU resources, bandwidth and software.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a teraflop is doesn't really matter to the average gamer, all that really needs to be said is that it'll be a beast for console standards.

It lands in between a gtx 980 and a 980ti in terms of that number.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought our eyes can't see over 3.0 teraflops?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Which will probably be a mistake. I can't see how they are going to keep this console even under $600.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a teraflop is doesn't really matter to the average gamer, all that really needs to be said is that it'll be a beast for console standards.

Or just .5 below a 1070. It will be more powerful than a GTX 1060 which is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Which will probably be a mistake. I can't see how they are going to keep this console even under $600.
    Rumor is its 650. I honestly think they should sell it for 499 and lose money. They need a good install base, and not many will buy it for 650 or 699.

All price suggestions I've seen have it at $700, and that seems about right for the starting point of a console like this.

Deleted
    No offense, but this is exactly the type of audience they cater to - dumb and stupid who don't understand that a PC is a bigger, better and cheaper alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    No offense, but this is exactly the type of audience they cater to - dumb and stupid who don't understand that a PC is a bigger, better and cheaper alternative.
    No offense <insert insult> lol. Anyway, I don't have an Xbox or an Xbox one but I like E3 and so I was watching their stream. I have a Mac for WoW/hearthstone/SC2/Heroes of the Storm and a Wii-U for some fun console games.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I thought this thread was about Tera Online. I am disappointed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    All price suggestions I've seen have it at $700, and that seems about right for the starting point of a console like this.
    The problem being the same problem the PS3 had. The power is irrelevant to your average console gamer. The $650+ price tag is going to be a disaster.

...Probably. Dunno what MS has planned but surely they did some hardcore research on the failed PS3 launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    That'll be awkward, that console will be more powerful then my own PC(Yeah my non GTX 780 is old :S)
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2016-06-13 at 06:48 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The problem being the same problem the PS3 had. The power is irrelevant to your average console gamer. The $650+ price tag is going to be a disaster.

...Probably. Dunno what MS has planned but surely they did some hardcore research on the failed PS3 launch.
    Well they aren't just releasing this console, there is also the slim at $299. So they aren't depending on this to be their core source of income.

10+ Year Old Account

And even then the thing was sold at a loss. PS3 near it's launch costed about 840 dollars to make. I think they're planning to position the xbox one as the budget affordable alternative and have scorpio be a "premium" alternative.

10+ Year Old Account
    And even then the thing was sold at a loss. PS3 near it's launch costed about 840 dollars to make. I think they're planning to position the xbox one as the budget affordable alternative and have scorpio be a "premium" alternative.
    Makes sense with the crossplay/Windows 10 philosophy they are moving forward with. I'm sure they will stress a lot of backwards compatibility/crossplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    Uh, to get anything close to playable in 4k on PC, you need the 1080, a display (cause there's a worse chance that people randomly have a desktop 4k monitor versus a 4k TV), and the rest of the components. You're hitting $1200 at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Or just .5 below a 1070. It will be more powerful than a GTX 1060 which is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

Rumor is its 650. I honestly think they should sell it for 499 and lose money. They need a good install base, and not many will buy it for 650 or 699.

Install base? This is still an Xbox 1, it's the same software. They're going to sell the same amount of games no matter if 1 user upgrades, or 100% upgrade.

I don't think they'll go for a loss, this type of hardware is clearly marketed towards early adopter consumers with deeper pockets.

Thought this was a thread about the MMO Tera being a flop...

Deleted
    I'm going to feel really bad/dirty after saying this.. I mean like.. few hours long shower to wash off the shame dirty kind of way... But I honestly liked what Microsoft showed on that presentation. Games were good, gear was great and the Scorpio gives true hope.

Your move Sony.

I'll be a bit skeptic (but i'm also playing on PC and my cpu is getting old as hell, so more powerfull consoles mean worst performace on my rig) but what are the specs of the Scorpio? This talk about teraflops reminded me of the "blast processing" days of the Megadrive, even if teraflop is a real thing. :P
    Just wondering if this "new" console is able to output 4k gaming at 60fps with a reasonable console price, because reaching that point for pc requires a lot of hardware power.

Oh well, it looks like it will be 1080p 60fps for long for me... it's fine.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.