Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 25 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    Nvidia to me is becoming what Intel was like back in the day, I always stuck with AMD on processors, but it got to a point where it was a no brainer to got for an intel chip for an extra say 20% price with over 50% performance increase.

I'm currently on AMD but Nvidia to me is shining recently, and AMD seems to be sticking with yes cheap cards but a massive performance drop compared to Nvidia cards for and extra 20% on the price. They both have a place don't get me wrong.
    Well it seems that way, it's clear as a day that 1080 is going to slaughter anything AMD has now and in near future and 1070 will do so as well at 970 price, which is absolutely terrific.

I think for half a year for now AMD will have to contend for budget market only and there they will still have to deal with Nvidia... I imagine 970s and 980s dropping in price as well, so it will be even harder for AMD.

One thing I am curious about is what will happen to Fury and FuryX cards... they pretty much have to drop them below $370 mark 1070 sets, I wonder what will happen. Same with the whole 390 lineup... it just does not make sense at it's current price anymore starting June.

In short, AMD is in a big shit with this really, I am not even talking about historically being first to market with new generation in GPU business is a killer.

Guess I will retire my trusty 290X start of next year when real stuff comes out. It held up really well, but at 1440p it starts to show age. I think I will be returning to the loving embrace of Team Green this time, unless AMD does something radical with Vega.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2016-05-12 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Well it seems that way, it's clear as a day that 1080 is going to slaughter anything AMD has now and in near future and 1070 will do so as well at 970 price, which is absolutely terrific.

I think for half a year for now AMD will have to contend for budget market only and there they will still have to deal with Nvidia... I imagine 970s and 980s dropping in price as well, so it will be even harder for AMD.

One thing I am curious about is what will happen to Fury and FuryX cards... they pretty much have to drop them below $370 mark 1070 sets, I wonder what will happen. Same with the whole 390 lineup... it just does not make sense at it's current price anymore starting June.

In short, AMD is in a big shit with this really, I am not even talking about historically being first to market with new generation in GPU business is a killer.

Guess I will retire my trusty 290X start of next year when real stuff comes out. It held up really well, but at 1440p it starts to show age. I think I will be returning to the loving embrace of Team Green this time, unless AMD does something radical with Vega.
    Don't forget that old products aren't going to be produced anymore. Sure, the 970 and 980 will drop in price, but how many will remain in stock? The 290 and 290X had any amazing price but you couldn't buy them for long after the 300 series was released. Once stock runs dry there won't be any new cards coming from the old series.

Soon you will only be able to buy 400 series cards and 1000 series cards, forget the 300 series 900 series and Fury series.

Got a GTX 650Ti... I guess I will be worth upgrading to GTX 1070 :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx...hmarks-leaked/

Looks like in general better than any damn 10-25% ;P
    Twice as fast as a 980ti at 4k

You sure that's real? Because it looks dodgy; the frame rates I see, don't seem to reflect what is being reported. Then again, videos can have that effect.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-05-12 at 12:26 PM.

twice as fast as 980Ti outside VR is probably fake (unless 980Ti is stock and the 1080 is mega-OCed), but up to 50% faster than 980Ti at 4K I can see

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    twice as fast as 980Ti outside VR is probably fake (unless 980Ti is stock and the 1080 is mega-OCed), but up to 50% faster than 980Ti at 4K I can see
    I bet you could. I don't see that happening and from what I've gathered in a quick google search, the video is as fake as pamela's tits.
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-05-12 at 12:37 PM.

I know the video is probably fake

doesnt change the fact that I expect 1080 to heavily beat 980Ti in 4K

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx...hmarks-leaked/

Looks like in general better than any damn 10-25% ;P
    Not really when you consider it's a heavily OCed 1080 vs a stock clocked 980ti. Also, we have no idea how real this is yet as it's not official, the NDA has not even been lifted yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Nvidia to me is becoming what Intel was like back in the day, I always stuck with AMD on processors, but it got to a point where it was a no brainer to got for an intel chip for an extra say 20% price with over 50% performance increase.

I'm currently on AMD but Nvidia to me is shining recently, and AMD seems to be sticking with yes cheap cards but a massive performance drop compared to Nvidia cards for and extra 20% on the price. They both have a place don't get me wrong.
    You are describing pretty much the exact opposite of what happened with the lest generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not really when you consider it's a heavily OCed 1080 vs a stock clocked 980ti. Also, we have no idea how real this is yet as it's not official, the NDA has not even been lifted yet.

- - - Updated - - -

You are describing pretty much the exact opposite of what happened with the lest generation.
    In regards to AMD or Intel. OR AMD and Nvidia ?

Well it seems that way, it's clear as a day that 1080 is going to slaughter anything AMD has now and in near future and 1070 will do so as well at 970 price, which is absolutely terrific.....
    I've still got 2 7970's in my Rig and they perform like a dream still, I am tempted to go with SLI 1080's though.
    Last edited by JestersShadow; 2016-05-12 at 01:24 PM.

So you already have the specs and benchmarks for the 490 launching next month? You know the 1080/1070 will slaughter it how? Please, provide some proof of this statement, would love to see it.

The same thing that always happens with the Titan cards, nothing at all. The 490 will come out and be on par/better than the Firys, like the 980ti came out and was better than the Titans, and the prices will stay the same. Just like it doesn/t make any sense at all that 780 cost about the same as 980s. It's weird, but technology just does not really drop in price when it gets replaced.

How can you say AMD is in a big shit without even knowing anything about the 480/490 that are coming out? We'll know more about it in less than 3 weeks though.

Well, Vega is the upgrades to the Fury and the Fury X was at least as good as the 980ti so Vega should keep up with the 1080ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Do you even read the articles before commenting on them? That is EXACTLY what was done, if it is real that is, but it was literally the second paragraph that explained that is exactly what was done.
    So let’s get straight to the benchmarks. They’ve been done in video form so we’ve embedded the video below for your convenience. The video was uploaded by famous Chinese overclocker Uing07. The results are of a heavily overclocked GTX 1080 – over 2000mhz – vs a stock GTX 980 Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, supply and demand is weird as hell...
    Other products do. Take cars for example, when the new models come in, supply disappears and demand of last years models go down, so does the price. In technology, the same does not happen. The supply disappears and the demand goes down, but the price stays the same. Pretty weird.

He probably meant that AMD has Price/performance leader in every category outside of overclocked 980ti's.

I've still got 2 7970's in my Rig and they perform like a dream still, I am tempted to go with SLI 1080's though.
    AMD and NvIdia.

Deleted
    Why are so many people here so obsessed with amd not having a competitor for the 1080 and that being a disaster?

That's not needed for AMD to do well, there is a lot of money for them in high yield low pricepoint chips. Keep in mind the entire installed userbase for $300+ cards is only 7.5m, only a fraction of which is gonna upgrade every year and they know they historically have tough time beating nvidias marketing in that segment even when they have better technology.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-12 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Why are so many people here so obsessed with amd not having a competitor for the 1080 and that being a disaster?

That's not needed for AMD to do well, there is a lot of money for them in high yield low pricepoint chips. Keep in mind the entire installed userbase for $300+ cards is only 7.5m, only a fraction of which is gonna upgrade every year and they know they historically have tough time beating nvidias marketing in that segment even when they have better technology.
    The real question is why are people just ignoring the evidence that Polaris 10 is the 490x and will be able to compete with the 1080? I'm not saying it will be a disaster if they don't, just saying that the possibility is real and people keep railing against that. Also, it will be great for nVidia to actually have some real competition again, as it will force them to improve as well. Not having competition in the market is a bad thing and you end up with all these anti-consumer policies that nVidia has been doing lately that really just hurt the end users more than anything.

It just does not look good on them if they have no competition at the high end, the public looks at it like they are throwing in the towel. Latest rumors have the 1080 competitor coming out in october at the earliest which gives nvidia 4 months of market dominance in that price bracket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    It just does not look good on them if they have no competition at the high end, the public looks at it like they are throwing in the towel. Latest rumors have the 1080 competitor coming out in october at the earliest which gives nvidia 4 months of market dominance in that price bracket.
    Big Vega isn't going to compete with the 1080, it's going to compete with the 1080Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Big Vega isn't going to compete with the 1080, it's going to compete with the 1080Ti.
    I think he's talking about the rumor that Polaris 10 is getting delayed until October, which if true means no 490/490x next month that will compete directly with the 1080/1070.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Ya i don't see that happening at all. If you are going to take that stance, what price/performance do you see polaris 10 aimed at? Ive been saying all along its gonna be a 250 dollar GPU with gtx 980 performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a rumor saying that Vega will launch earlier than expected and one saying that Polaris is delayed. Both to the same damn month.

This really doesn't make much sense...