Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 75 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was soo close to pulling the trigger on a MSI 1080.. But no.. not really playing anything right now and we should get to see real performance numbers from Polaris really soon. I'm not going to say this often but this time I really hope Adored is right and that Polaris might come out more competitive than the rumors claimed.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    I was soo close to pulling the trigger on a MSI 1080.. But no.. not really playing anything right now and we should get to see real performance numbers from Polaris really soon. I'm not going to say this often but this time I really hope Adored is right and that Polaris might come out more competitive than the rumors claimed.
    AMD is notorious for overhyping their products in many cases, in others the undersell what their products can do. This is part of why AMD has struggled, because perception and reputation are everything. They try and put too much positive spin on their products and then they wind up failing to meet those expectations.

Deleted
    NVIDIA's decision to sell its reference-design GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card at a $100 premium over the SKU's MSRP of $599, is beginning develop cracks, with early adopters complaining of erratic default fan behavior. The GTX 1080 Founders Edition graphics card features NVIDIA's reference lateral-blower-type cooler, which didn't exactly blow us away, in our review of the card. Customers across the forumscape, including on NVIDIA's own GeForce Forums, are complaining of an issue where the fan of the cooler has a mind of its own, and revs up from 2,000 RPM to 3,000 RPM intermittently, and drops back to its idle speed. This, users complain, is particularly annoying if you're not gaming.

The users observe that these sudden and unpredictable spikes in fan-speed are not in response to rising GPU temperatures or clock speeds. Sudden variations in fan-speed are worse than gradual variations in response to legitimate triggers, as it also means sudden changes in noise, which is distracting. Users also observe that you can't even use third-party software (eg: EVGA Precision) to stabilize or override the fan-behavior, as the speed-spikes don't respect custom settings.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/222895/nv...revving-issues

We already knew the FE had a crap cooler. A driver update will probably fix it, but it should not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Relax guys. The prices will come down. While this is a bit extreme, the initial launch almost always goes for higher prices.
    Hmm, usually the opposite happens with hyped tech and minimal supply. And everything from what I've seen people are buying the FE like mad.

Hmmm so videocardz posted a comparison for some of the custom PCB http://videocardz.com/60547/comparis...-gtx-1080-pcbs. Zotac went all out on the phases this time around from the looks of it 16+3.

Polaris reviews will be out in one month. So the price of those nvidia cards will be lowered.

I guess people who dont want to pay $1000+ will have to wait at least a month to get their hands on the gtx 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by XamFTW View Post
    I guess people who dont want to pay $1000+ will have to wait at least a month to get their hands on the gtx 1080.
    Probably they are currently sold out in the nvidia store.

So any estimate on when the custom 1070s will land? I'd prefer to have my PC ready for Legion launch

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    So any estimate on when the custom 1070s will land? I'd prefer to have my PC ready for Legion launch
    The release was something like 17th for the FE. But considering how limited the 1080 release seems to be, you probably have to wait till late July with getting a decent custom 1070 without feeling that you got robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd424 View Post
    Hmmm so videocardz posted a comparison for some of the custom PCB http://videocardz.com/60547/comparis...-gtx-1080-pcbs. Zotac went all out on the phases this time around from the looks of it 16+3.
    Jesus, that's nuts 16+3. Curious on the price of that card.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The release was something like 17th for the FE. But considering how limited the 1080 release seems to be, you probably have to wait till late July with getting a decent custom 1070 without feeling that you got robbed.
    June 10th for the 1070 FE, likely a week after for custom partner cards.

http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx...-release-date/
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-05-29 at 07:08 PM.

That sounds like good news. As long as I get it by mid August, I'm good

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, usually the opposite happens with hyped tech and minimal supply. And everything from what I've seen people are buying the FE like mad.
    Smart thing to do right now is buy the FE 1080's and put them in Ebay for twice as much. Since they're so limited in supply, the demand will be greater. Just like this guy.

The people that are buying them like mad are the ones looking to make a profit.

Reviews for the 1070 are starting to creep up.

Linus

Gamers Nexus

Pcper

Tomshardware write up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    I genuinely laughed at this comment

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the fuck plays Ashes Of Singularity, I own it and still don't play it

15+ Year Old Account
    http://videocardz.com/60574/nvidia-g...x-1070-reviews

Here you go... a list of all GTX 1070 FE reviews.

TL-DR:
    The 1070 is about 25 - 30% slower than the GTX 1080
    The 1070 is mostly JUST faster than the GTX 980 Ti (by like 1 - 5%)
    Overclocking it reaches the same clocks give or take as the 1080 FE but has far less thermal throttling.
    The power target is very limited and even when overclocked cannot match the stock 1080 in general.

I have yet to be able to find a full 980 Ti overclock vs. 1070 overclock but I think the 980 Ti will be faster if overclocked.

Current estimates from a great deal of reviewers pretty much state that it will be even more scarce than a 1080 FE and they don't expect the 379 USD MSRP for AIBs will NOT be reached even with a generic cooler and build but that it will remain far closer to the FE price tag and higher.
    They also expect the AIB variants to be significantly later than the 1080 being released. (timespan between "paper launch" and actual availability)

So yeah 980 Ti performance with a price tag of $ 449,- against that of $ 649,- coming from the 980 Ti.
    Easy choice between the 2 cards... now you just have to try and get it.

1070 is only 15-20% slower then 1080

~3-rd week of June most likely

10+ Year Old Account
    They really pushed the 1070 clock wise. 10% overclock from their boost (stock is a useless number when it always goes to boost). Compared to GM20# which is practically the same architecture as GP104 had a 30%~ OC potential minimum (silicon lottery blah blah blah).

>insert usual boring old architecture rant here<.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    Who the fuck plays Ashes Of Singularity, I own it and still don't play it
    People that play it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    1070 is only 15-20% slower then 1080

~3-rd week of June most likely
    The reviews I read the margins are larger barring SOME games, most have a pretty big gap of at least 20%.

Also ... I doubt very much, as the reviewers have stated as well, that only 1,5 weeks are needed from release to have custom versions out.
    But ... we'll see on that part won't we?