Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 76 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Vs a 770 though it'd be a sizable upgrade right?
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    The reviews I read the margins are larger barring SOME games, most have a pretty big gap of at least 20%.

Also ... I doubt very much, as the reviewers have stated as well, that only 1,5 weeks are needed from release to have custom versions out.
    But ... we'll see on that part won't we?
    IDK, Asus is releasing their custom 1080 on June 4 , 8 days after release. Although you know that shit going to be sold out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Vs a 770 though it'd be a sizable upgrade right?
    Yea, but wait on polaris then make a decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    Who the fuck plays Ashes Of Singularity, I own it and still don't play it
    And who plays Project Cars? What about Tomb Raider, Fail Edition? It's all about Hitman, AMRIGHT?

Anyway, it seems the 1070 performs just as we expected. No big surprise there. The lower clock seems odd, since they disabled 1/4 of the Cuda cores. You'd expect to reach a higher clock. Nvidia must have really wanted to lower the performance of the 1070 compared to the 1080. I think if you could increase the power to the GPU, you could overclock it higher than a 1080.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Yea, but wait on polaris then make a decision.
    kk dont even got a job yet so i got time T-T
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    And who plays Project Cars? What about Tomb Raider, Fail Edition? It's all about Hitman, AMRIGHT?

Anyway, it seems the 1070 performs just as we expected. No big surprise there. The lower clock seems odd, since they disabled 1/4 of the Cuda cores. You'd expect to reach a higher clock. Nvidia must have really wanted to lower the performance of the 1070 compared to the 1080. I think if you could increase the power to the GPU, you could overclock it higher than a 1080.
    I feel the 1070 should be a 350$ card based on it's performance, but oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    kk dont even got a job yet so i got time T-T
    Well then polaris's mid market cards might be right up your alley.

15+ Year Old Account
    IDK, Asus is releasing their custom 1080 on June 4 , 8 days after release. Although you know that shit going to be sold out.
    Quite possibly .. but as you've no doubt read right now as well is that the reviewers had even less time to do their reviews with the 1070 than they did with the 1080.
    So that means that in between the time of receiving the sample and NDA being lifted was less time than the 1080 reveal/announcement (which was rushed already).

Whilst nVidia has a vested interest to sell the 1070s ... I don't think they'll cannibalize the 1080 sales when they are at the premium point of "BLOW WAD OF CASH! WHY?! BECAUSE FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY!" with them.
    They will milk the sales of the 1080 as much as possible and then on a decline probably cannibalize the chips.

15+ Year Old Account
    So how much memory does the 1070 have?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the 1070 should be a 350$ card based on it's performance, but oh well.
    I think it should be $320 like the 970 was. But without anything from AMD what you going to do? But I feel the 1070 should be able to achieve higher clocks than the 1080. Also, the 1/4 disabled Cuda Cores should be explored to see if Nvidia was cheap and didn't laser cut it out. Cause if they just did something in the bios or drivers, the 1070 could be a monster graphics card to own with some tweaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    So how much memory does the 1070 have?
    I'm sure they're not stupid enough to do this again.

Well, maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be $320 like the 970 was. But without anything from AMD what you going to do? But I feel the 1070 should be able to achieve higher clocks than the 1080. Also, the 1/4 disabled Cuda Cores should be explored to see if Nvidia was cheap and didn't laser cut it out. Cause if they just did something in the bios or drivers, the 1070 could be a monster graphics card to own with some tweaks.
    Considering that 16nmFF isn't as mature as 28nm, I imagine most of it are actually harvested chips than cut down.
    I may be completely wrong on it, but I don't think having less SMs available means much for being able to overclock more provided the temperature is well maintained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Considering that 16nmFF isn't as mature as 28nm, I imagine most of it are actually harvested chips than cut down.
    I may be completely wrong on it, but I don't think having less SMs available means much for being able to overclock more provided the temperature is well maintained.
    That's why I'm wondering if Nvidia's 16nm process might not be mature enough to cut down the chips. Only way to find out is hack the 1070's bios. Which I hear Nvidia has extremely good protection for their BIOS, but hackers gonna hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    http://videocardz.com/60574/nvidia-g...x-1070-reviews

Here you go... a list of all GTX 1070 FE reviews.

TL-DR:

-snip-
    Welp, it's not a 970 that's for sure. And what I mean by this is that a 970 could be overclocked to match the stock 980. The 900 series as a whole were crazy overclockers.. The GP104 certainly seems to overclock well, but when you look at the performance gains, they are only ~10% over stock even when you increase the clock speeds by 20%+.

Now am not saying it's not a really good card, it certainly is performing well, just it's a bit too expensive and if you overclock, you are better off getting an used 980ti, as it will easily outperform this card overclocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why I'm wondering if Nvidia's 16nm process might not be mature enough to cut down the chips. Only way to find out is hack the 1070's bios. Which I hear Nvidia has extremely good protection for their BIOS, but hackers gonna hack.
    It's from TSMC and they did one of the iPhone's SoC with it already. I think it was from the iPhone 6 or 6S, not really sure which one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    It's from TSMC and they did one of the iPhone's SoC with it already. I think it was from the iPhone 6 or 6S, not really sure which one.
    6s, but 104mm2 vs 314mm2. Huge difference.

anyone getting a new 980Ti now over 1070 is insane

1070 is faster than stock 980Ti so OC vs OC will be about the same or still in 1070s favor (980Ti goes to 1400-1500, 1070 should go to 2100-2200 or at least 2100-2150 which is still pretty good)

and 980Ti is old, draws more power, hot, has 2GB less VRAM and has worse VR/DX12/DX12_1/ports than 1070

only worth it if you get a used 980Ti really really cheap

but I personally dont buy used GPUs
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2016-05-30 at 05:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    6s, but 104mm2 vs 314mm2. Huge difference.
    Also, I don't believe the Apple SoC's have anything disabled due to manufacturing defects. The chip either works, or is thrown out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I don't believe the Apple SoC's have anything disabled due to manufacturing defects. The chip either works, or is thrown out.
    Well to be fair, a SoC has way more stuff than a GPU that are interdependent. So if one thing is borked you kind of have to chuck the entire thing out anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    so OC vs OC will be about the same or still in 1070s favor
    Based on what? What I'm seeing is that OC'd 980ti is roughly 10% faster than OC'd 1070 atm. Now ofc there can be crazy versions of 1070 too, but from what am seeing it is way behind a 1080 and will never catch it, meaning it will never catch a good 980ti, which is roughly 2-4% behind 1080 atm depending on resolution and task.

And if you are worried about DX12 performance, you shouldn't be getting a GP104 anyways.

Also a good used 980ti is roughly the same price as 1070 Founder's Edition atm.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Based on what? What I'm seeing is that OC'd 980ti is roughly 10% faster than OC'd 1070 atm. Now ofc there can be crazy versions of 1070 too, but from what am seeing it is way behind a 1080 and will never catch it, meaning it will never catch a good 980ti, which is roughly 2-4% behind 1080 atm depending on resolution and task.

And if you are worried about DX12 performance, you shouldn't be getting a GP104 anyways.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia...eis-1196360/2/
    heres a review which has a 1430 Mhz 980Ti included for comparison

they have the 1430Mhz MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning being ~12-13% faster (in some games less than 10%, in some more than 15%) than a stock (says 1683Mhz) 1070 in 1440p

so a well OCed 980Ti only beats a stock 1070 by 10%+

and even FE 1070 easily OCed to ~2050 in published reviews so far (and memory should go to9000)

AIB 1070 could possibly push into 2150 territory, we'll see

so yeah Im not seeing what advantage an OCed 980Ti has, they are about on par, a stock 980Ti is slower than stock 1070, but has better OC gains if pushed to the max (to ~1450 or 1500 if it can .. and not all 980Tis can do 1500) so OC vs OC it evens out

and both max OC 980Ti and max OC 1070 are still going to be behind a stock 1080

about the only real advantage I see right now is if you can get a used 980Ti notably cheaper then a new initial wave 1070 ... (but its used vs new ..)

if 980Ti is the same price as 1070 and you want to buy one of them I see no point in not getting a 1070

- - - Updated - - -

the only relatively lackluster (compared to Fury X) DX12 performance Im seeing from Pascal is from 2 games - Ashes and Hitman .. a heavy async and an AMD title ...

rest (like QB and the like, even not counting DX12 Tomb Raider) looks ok on Pascal

and yeah Im not worried about DX12, since both the released and announced DX12 games are kind of crappy as far as Im concerned, I wont touch more than half of them

the real good upcoming AAA stuff like BF1, Andromeda etc. will run very well on Pascal, I have no doubt of that, same for Mafia 3, Dishonored 2, Lawbreakers, UT4, Titanfall 2, Watch Dogs 2 ...

games like Mirrors Edge 2 and new Deus Ex wont be very demanding at all looking at their predecessors so any decent GPU will handle those, maybe even stuff like 390X or 980 .. same for Dawn of War 3

Escape from Tarkov Im not sure about, it could be graphics-heavy, could favor some GPU brand, could also be an unoptimized mess, i honestly dont know, but I also dont know if I will bother with it

Cyberpunk 2077 no doubt will be a beast, but I have doubts about it being ready in 2017 (and in 2018 we should have Volta/Navi) .. if its going to be an even heavier title then Witcher 3 was then it may very well be you will need a 1080Ti/big Vega caliber card anyway to play it 60+ rock solid fps @ 1440p

but if they keep W3 requirements then we good

- - - Updated - - -

another DX12 title Id be really interested in would be Forza Horizon 3 when it inevitably comes to Windows 10, but Forza 6 Apex beta runs fine on Maxwell from what I saw and Pascal > Maxwell, so there should be no issues with Horizon 3 DX12 on a 1070
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2016-05-30 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post

You would have to buy it used to get it cheaper and even then..., The cheapest I've seen it is 530$ on ebay new 475$ used. Where the msrp for the 1070 is 380$. Anyone with any sense will buy a AIB card which will vary 380-440$. Also the FE is 450 still 70 - 80$ cheaper on average new anyhow.

Pcpartpicker

Ebay 980ti new.

Ebay 980ti used

Personal opinion: I hate buying anything used if I can avoid it. MY 2 cents on that.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-05-30 at 09:40 AM.