Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Women 35% more likely to go to university than me.. and the gap is widening

so this was an interesting read really and something I was saying years back when I was a teacher myself.

Boys are being left behind in the school system, and just as important, poor white males are being overlooked by the system.

a few snippets..

A baby girl born in 2016 will be 75% more likely to go to university than a boy, if current trends continue
    Mary Curnock Cook, head of the Ucas university admissions service, warns that being male could be a new form of disadvantage.
    this is something that has been coming for a while tbh, with what seems to be the system ignoring young men in favour of promoting women in every field possible, they have sliopped right off the radar

And she says while there is much focus on social mobility and geographical differences, there is a collective blind spot on the underachievement of young men
    kind of fits above. Boys/mens issues in education collectively being "ignored"

Ms Curnock Cook says she is "instinctively convinced" the fall in the proportion of male students is connected to the increasing gender imbalance in the school workforce.
    Are young men not getting enough educational role models?
    the predominance of Female teachers in schools appears to be leaving a huge gap in male educational role models.

Five out of six higher education institutions now have more female students than male - and if every single man who applied to university were to be automatically given a place, there would still be fewer men than women

paints its own picture really. There could be a lot of factors to this, but the only real reason for this level of disengagement is a lack of perceived care/opportunities for young men.

Among white boys from disadvantaged families only about 10% will go to university - the lowest of any social or ethnic group.
    Deprived boys from other ethnic backgrounds, such as black and Asian, are much more likely to go to university.
    this hit home pretty square in the face as someone who grew up in a "disadvantage white family home". we see loads of things about getting young blacks/ethnic groups into further education, but the numbers show that its actually disadvantaged white who are missing out and nobody is doing a single thing about it as the "white man" doesn't fill the good old diversity quotas/scholarships ect.

So how do you get more young white men into higher education, when the system doesn't seem to care and the focus is on minority groups and females.
    get more women in stem, more people of colour in media arts ect.

the one thing to note, is that even if you remove female dominated courses.. ie nursing/teaching, women still vastly outnumber men in higher education.

it sounds insane, but young white men/boys are being left behind because nobody seems to care and this perception that just because your white and male you have it easy in life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-36266753
    Last edited by mmoc90ba442814; 2016-05-12 at 11:56 AM.

Deleted
    It seems to me like young men these days are just too uninterested in building a life and career, while young women seem very keen on doing so.

Women always seemed to be more interested in actually learning and growing. And on top of that, they seem to be serious about a career and actually more mature, where many men just seem to be a man-child in their 20's and even 30's.

Out of the 30 people I hired last year, 23 are female. The balance in gender applying was in favor of men, but only a handful where actually able to answer basic questions about themselves and their career.

So in short, my observation is:
    Young men = immature
    Young women = very mature

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Rather amusing, but completely BS.

72.9% of Bachelor Degrees go to white people in the US. 56% of those are female.

10.3% of Bachelor Degrees go to black people, 8.8% to Hispanic, 7.3 to Asian/Pacific Islanders.

Those same numbers are relatively true for Master and Doctorate degrees.

White males are not even remotely close to being left behind. Try harder...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

72.9% of Bachelor Degrees go to white people in the US. 56% of those are female.

10.3% of Bachelor Degrees go to black people, 8.8% to Hispanic, 7.3 to Asian/Pacific Islanders.

OP mentions UCAS, so that implies it's a UK study based off UK numbers.

That said, OP should link the source.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post

Among white boys from disadvantaged families only about 10% will go to university - the lowest of any social or ethnic group.

this is data fact. not fiction.

also talking about the UK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    OP mentions UCAS, so that implies it's a UK study based off UK numbers.

That said, OP should link the source.
    added to top

Men will also likely make good money without a college education, you don't see many women who are welders, plumbers, electricians and sanitary workers.

Well, I didn't go to university, if it makes you happy to know that I've tried, I can't.

Imo, it's too much focus on theorectical education anyway, it's "university or fuck off", basically, which is sad to behold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

A better more constructive discussion would be about the need for college education in this time and age. Especially when trades are cheaper and bring more capital overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Men will also likely make good money without a college education, you don't see many women who are welders, plumbers, electricians and sanitary workers.
    whilst true, the gap between mens salaries uni/non uni is lower than that of women. there is nothing stopping women working in those professions

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me the way American colleges are going, women are more suited for them over men. Men, particularly white men, are not "protected."

I recommend trade schools to young guys just finishing up high school these days. Don't be an activist, be a welder. You'll get done with school in less than half the time with less than half the expense and you'll be making a "living wage" right from the get-go because people will need your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Seems to me the way American colleges are going, women are more suited for them over men. Men, particularly white men, are not "protected."

I recommend trade schools to young guys just finishing up high school these days. Don't be an activist, be a welder. You'll get done with school in less than half the time with less than half the expense and you'll be making a "living wage" right from the get-go because people will need your skills.
    this isn't based on American schools. Seems to be from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    It seems to me like young men these days are just too uninterested in building a life and career, while young women seem very keen on doing so.

Women always seemed to be more interested in actually learning and growing. And on top of that, they seem to be serious about a career and actually more mature, where many men just seem to be a man-child in their 20's and even 30's.

Out of the 30 people I hired last year, 23 are female. The balance in gender applying was in favor of men, but only a handful where actually able to answer basic questions about themselves and their career.

Young men = immature
    There could be an argument that men are at a disadvantage because they are less mature in the 16-21 age range and being outcompeted by women. Also feminism is a source of positive encouragement for women to push themselves whilst no equivalent movement exists for men, "men's rights" movements usually end up with a negative, anti-feminist slant rather than a positive, pro-male position.

I don't see any more reason that I should care about the data there than I care about the percentage of people of certain races getting degrees, the percentage of women in STEM, and so on. People have different abilities and preferences. I'm not going to wring my hands about people having different abilities and preferences unless I think there's a good reason to believe they're explicitly denied opportunity.

Aside from anti-white discrimination in college admittance making it slightly more difficult for whites to get into the best schools, I don't see any reason to believe that's happening. Talented white males are perfectly capable of doing well in life.

Not everyone needs to go to Uni. When the government realises this and puts more effort into getting people into vocations, the better. I did go through uni, all the way to PhD, but it doesn't take one of those to realise it's a bad thing to have University as the standard qualification for having a good job or career.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    Imo, it's too much focus on theorectical education anyway, it's "university or fuck off", basically, which is sad to behold.
    Which, of course, has led to pretty awful degree inflation and abrogated the meaning of a bachelor's degree. In professional circles, a BS is in the new high school diploma. To stand out even a tiny bit above the crowd in the HR signaling pool, one needs an MS or higher in most fields.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    this isn't based on American schools. Seems to be from the UK.
    The trend exceeds the boundaries of the UK.

Also worth a mention is that there does seem to be some difference in standard deviation of abilities between men and women, with more men on both tails of the distribution. In a world where average intellect isn't even required to get a degree, we would expect the group with fat tails on their bell curve to have a lower percentage of graduates, but a higher percentage of the most elite graduates. Which, of course, is exactly what we find, but cause for much hand wringing if you're the sort of person that's bothered by unequal outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Young men = immature
    Source: your ass
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Guys ask me why they should go to college, I tell them that college is crawling with girls. Crawling meaning there are a lot of girls there.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So women are better educated and still get paid less than men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.