Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone Else Annoyed About The Chips In Credit Cards Now?

(I dont mean potato chips.... or fries.... I know someone would post this)

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Anyone else annoyed with this?

No. It's easy, you put card in, you put in pin, you take card out. Why is this hard?

Also chip technology is like 15 years old, we've moved past that and are onto "touch" pads now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have zero issue with it, but then again i don't live in the US . My single card does everything Swipe/insert/paywave Eftpos Visa ect ect...

I think my bank card had a chip like 20 years ago when I got my first. You start complaining now?

7+ Year Old Account
    I like the chip - sure it takes a little bit longer, but you get improved security for the transaction.

Deleted
    Yeah, I too lay awake the entire night over the five seconds more that I have to wait for a transaction, and also that I have to hold my wallet in my hand waiting for the transaction to end

Deleted
    I think it's an anti-cloning device.

Cloning the magnetic band is trivial. Chips can not be cloned.

Hopefully in the future we will all be paying with our phone, but we're not there, yet.

Its funny, because I have chip cards now but a lot of places around here still make us swipe. I keep getting corrected by putting the card in the chip reader and they tell me "No, you have to swipe it."

Deleted
    I pretty much never leave the house but when I do it's to go to the store, and each time I go I must Google which way to put the card in the reader to avoid public embarrassment.

Doesn't matter to me any.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about... haven't this been around for like... over a decade?
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Chip CC/Debit cards are only recently being widely accepted in the US. The technology is somewhat old, yes. But not all US banks and retailers agreed till relatively recently on the system.

It take longer to checkout using a chip vs. the older swipe method in the US.

@OP, I use my phone where possible. It's the fastest checkout method thus far.

Do you put the chip in and still have to sign for it?
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Chips have been in Credit Cards for over 10 or 15 years in Europe. The US was lagging with the implementation for some reason.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Alright. I've been using an international/multinational banking system for a long while now. So, I likely haven't experienced this as much as others in the States have. :|
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

I haven't had any trouble with the chip in my card.

i only find it annoying because it hasn't become standard here in the US yet, so most places don't take it. so you still swipe since that is still used most places, then when it fails you go back and use the chip.

problem is the chip stuff is already outdated and stores need to start accepting NFC payments which is much easier and faster to use.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Jesus. You people still use chips? The only time I have to use the chip and enter a pin is when i want to take money out of the local ATM, or when I cross the border into the states and are forced to travel back in time 5 years beccause you people havent discovered Tap yet.

Seriously, get the hell out of the stone age with your goddamed magnetic swipe dinosaurs and get with the times. Tap is where it is at. Hell, give it 4 or 5 more years, and you wont even need cards, RF tap from your phone or smart watch will be the go-to method.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about... haven't this been around for like... over a decade?
    I can't remember anything other than these chips, I'm 24.

Yeah I was surprised when I came to the US and discovered they didn't have chip & pin, I'm thinking "wtf, I've been doing this for like 15 years". But then again, everyone around where I live still sends faxes when it could be emailed. It really is the stone age.