Deleted

Incentive for playing season

I dont see the incentive anymore.

Diablo has allways been a loot driven game. So the idea that literally the only thing you get from playing season now is some very minor comsetic thigns kinda bums me out.

It should at the very least have a few seasonal only items.

I wont be playing diablo this season hope it gets better next season.

Yes, Diablo has always been a loot driven game. But to be honest, after playing for a week, maybe two, you barely get any upgrades anymore. So the whole loot thing goes away, at least for me. It comes down to grinding paragons to be able to compete on the leaderboards, and slowly, overtime, maybe get a some slight upgrades to your gear here and there.

For me, seasons are a way to start fresh, start over on an equal footing with everybody else, get that new loot feeling all the time and substential increase in power you get when you drop THAT legendary you were waiting for.

For me, it kind of goes the other way around, I don't see an incentive to play non-season. Might have something to do with the fact I play HC and with the very temporary aspect of a given character (even though I actually haven't lost one in ages), so playing seasons is just a natural thing to do.

think ill pass on this season as well,.

Maybe just have 1 char boosted to 70 for the achieves n stuff, then call it a day.
    Plenty of other games to play from the backlog. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaros View Post
    Yes, Diablo has always been a loot driven game. But to be honest, after playing for a week, maybe two, you barely get any upgrades anymore. So the whole loot thing goes away, at least for me. It comes down to grinding paragons to be able to compete on the leaderboards, and slowly, overtime, maybe get a some slight upgrades to your gear here and there.

For me, seasons are a way to start fresh, start over on an equal footing with everybody else, get that new loot feeling all the time and substential increase in power you get when you drop THAT legendary you were waiting for.

For me, it kind of goes the other way around, I don't see an incentive to play non-season. Might have something to do with the fact I play HC and with the very temporary aspect of a given character (even though I actually haven't lost one in ages), so playing seasons is just a natural thing to do.
    I get your point and i kinda agree. My problem however is that i dont want to start a new character every few months just because of a few comestic upgrades that are hardly ever used anyway.

In D2 the reason people kept coming back was because you coudl get some seriously powerful items in Ladder and ONLY ladder that carried over when a season was done.

This kept me and many other people playing and even today people still play D2 Ladder.

In D3 it takes a week to be fully geared if you take your time with it(some people basicly do it in a day) when a new season comes. And all you get is a banner and a few ingame transmog things.

I mean cmon Blizzard. i'm not saying you need to make new things for every season(that was your innitial plan however, that you backed out off because it reuquired some work) but just make some powerful items that only show up in Season and i'm good.

Right now its not worth playing at all however

Agree with the OP, 6th season and its still the same pretty much as the 1st, no new acts, no new classes

Deleted
    I'm doing it for the stash, while most likely grabbing the transmogs, pets, wings and such as well. Other than that, yeah no. At least Path of Exile comes up with new abilities and mixes up the passive table for new leagues. Diablo 3 this season just feels like work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Agree with the OP, 6th season and its still the same pretty much as the 1st, no new acts, no new classes
    Huh?

Well its a season mate its not an expansion. its basicly a free thing, but its also needed to keep the game alive.

It feels like they forgot what made people play d2ladder however. This disturbs me a little because it brings back memories of what happened when D3 first came out and blizzard had no idea what people wanted from an action rpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I get your point and i kinda agree. My problem however is that i dont want to start a new character every few months just because of a few comestic upgrades that are hardly ever used anyway.
    On the other hand, what incentive do you really have to play your old character for hours and hours of grinding to maybe see a minor boost to your gear, maybe?

The entire reason I play seasons is for the fresh start, without paragon, without a backlog of gear, for that push from level 1 to decently-geared 70 farming T10 and doing GRs. If there weren't seasons, I'd have little reason to play D3 at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    On the other hand, what incentive do you really have to play your old character for hours and hours of grinding to maybe see a minor boost to your gear, maybe?

The entire reason I play seasons is for the fresh start, without paragon, without a backlog of gear, for that push from level 1 to decently-geared 70 farming T10 and doing GRs. If there weren't seasons, I'd have little reason to play D3 at all.
    I get that and you are right. I pretty much have even less incentive to play my non seasonal characters. But season(Ladder) in D2 gave me somethring to strive for that wasnt available in non season and that made sense to me. Spending a lot of time to farm that one rune you need or whatever.

I realise that D3's drop works differently and you are supposed to self find everything and i like that. But maybe the special season items shouldnt carry over to non season then? I mean if they dont want to spend resources on creating new gear for each season(which i kinda get, and kinda dont get)

Edit:

The problem i have with the current itteration of D3 season is that bar getting perfect rolls on your drops you can basicly achieve it all very very fast. That to me just doesnt give me much reason to say "OK! THIS season i will get that entire set" or whatever.
    Last edited by mmocfe2bab4c21; 2016-05-01 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    It feels like they forgot what made people play d2ladder however.
    Well, it´s not made by the same people and i think it shows. I started again a week before the ne season hit. Played like 5 days, the game is already uninstalled again because it got boring as hell. I will go back to Path of Exile for my hack&slash fix after i gave Victor Vran a try. PoE is better in every aspect, that´s my view at least.

Deleted
    Because it is fun. You start over with nothing and gear up with friends, have a laugh and a drink and play for hours on end trying to get your gear sorted to start climbing.
    Farming paragon levels and enjoying the journey and then after a month or maybe 2 you think.. OK this is enough and go play something else.
    Then when the new season starts you do it again, a fresh start.

What other intensive does it need except for "fun"? Isn't that what you play games for? If I need to be rewarded for a task Ill go to work.

I enjoy the fuck out of seasons, I don't touch my non season char's because I don't find it fun at all.

Speaking as someone who just recently started playing (stopped after D2 n found other games) - I enjoy seasons since I am a beginner, so it's a fun way to max out a character, go level up my paragon, run gRifts with my clanmates and stuff like that. So far I'm just playing the Monk, but than next season I'll definitely choose Witch Doctor or someone else and keep going like that..

Seems like a fun way to try all the characters --- but I could definitely understand how the veterans get restless. going from 1-70 is simple when you've done it numerous times, and than it's just all about paragon grinding and hunting for gear. But if you look at games like WoW, that's what people do too.....you max a Character (until the next expansion) do some PvP, grind mats, grind gear....go max another character(s) and repeat.

I think the free set is the main incentive, but seasons like this one where there's no new sets and the old sets mostly just got numbers buffs instead of mechanics changes, that's not particularly motivating. Plus farming a new set on a non-seasonal character isn't that incredibly time consuming anymore anyways.

Deleted
    Diablo 2 wasnt loot driven.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Diablo 2 wasnt loot driven.
    Yeah? What was it driven by, then?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, I did the season for the full class set. Nothing quite like getting a full set of Zunimassa in a single day.