10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    A fair trial would have been nice. It's obv the ideal. Dealing with an active shooter who is specifically targeting your group and can't be reasoned with because of that hate I imagine makes taking him in alive difficult.
    I just find it hard to believe that people can't imagine these officers wanted revenge for their dead buddies.

The action used against the suspect was unprecedented. I guess only time will tell if it remains an isolated incident.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that people can't imagine these officers wanted revenge for their dead buddies.

The action used against the suspect was unprecedented. I guess only time will tell if it remains an isolated incident.
    Revenge is possible. So is prioritizing protecting your officer's life over the suspects. That's why we generally don't get outraged if a guy who is shooting at a cop gets shot and killed in the process.

Ive thought of non lethal ways they may have used, but none are guaranteed to have him drop the weapon and could just make him shoot in random directions instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    Militarization is such a buzz word.
    How America's police became so heavily armed

Between 2002 and 2011 the Department of Homeland Security, established after the attacks of September 11th 2001, disbursed more than $35 billion in grants to state and local police forces. In addition the "1033 programme" allows the Defence Department to distribute surplus equipment to local police departments for use in counter-terrorism and counter-drug activities. The American Civil Liberties Union found that the value of military equipment used by American police departments has risen from $1m in 1990 to nearly $450m in 2013.

And that equipment has been used. In 1980 SWAT teams across America were deployed around 3,000 times. Deployments are estimated to have risen nearly seventeen-fold since, to 50,000 a year. Tactical police units are not just common in big cities: though nearly 90% of American cities with populations above 50,000 have SWAT teams, so do more than 90% of police departments serving cities with 25,000 to 50,000 people—more than four times the level from the mid-1980s. This tremendous rise in paramilitary police forces has occurred as violent-crime levels have fallen. And while SWAT teams remain essential for high-risk and dangerous situations, most SWAT teams are deployed to serve routine drug-related warrants on private homes, often with disastrous consequences.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

A fair trial would have been nice. It's obv the ideal. Dealing with an active shooter who is specifically targeting your group and can't be reasoned with because of that hate I imagine makes taking him in alive difficult.
    That is why they tried to negotiate with him for over 2 hours. He was a imminent threat to not only the police officers lives but the general public as well. HE forced their hand.

As for the use of "drones" you make it sound like these machines are running independent on their own and making decisions via AI. They are operated by a human. No difference between being taken down by the robot or having the police officers rush in and do it with guns, except this way no more police officers died.
    There was also a concern that he bobby trapped the area and could be wearing explosives.

Police equipment and tactics have evolved with the times and technology. Of course they will benefit from some military style gear like body armor and APC's. The threats they face today are much greater then in the past with Terrorist and heavily armed drug cartels and Gangs. I dont begrudge the LE community for adapting to the times and using the gear that will enable them to get the job done. NOw when the Police start patrolling the streets in M1A1 tanks, using F18 and firing missels from UAV then maybe there will be a case.
    As body armor and equipment evolve so too with the Police. But realize its not just your everyday beat cop getting this gear, it is the specialized units. If it keeps us safer and no constitutional rights are violated then I have no issue with it. Every Cop deserves to come home and night to be with his family.

- - - Updated - - -

What part if imminent threat to lives dont you get? Tell me, if some nut case had your family hostage and was threatening to kill the would you want the police to have the best gear available or are you worried about the guy trying to murder your family being treated nicely. You end the threat any way possible to avoid the further loss of lives

- - - Updated - - -

And yet in many areas the LEO are out numbered and out gunned by Drug cartels and violent street gangs. Do you want them to use harsh language to get the job done so your sensibilities are not hurt?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    As for the use of "drones" you make it sound like these machines are running independent on their own and making decisions via AI.
    You seem confused, I don't know where you got this from. That's definitely not how the drones I know of work.

Of course they will benefit from some military style gear
    The expansion of police using military gear and tactics against US citizens on US soil is completely unprecedented and as I've shown exponential since 9/11.

Funny how that worked out, isn't it?

Tell me, if some nut case had your family hostage and was threatening to kill the
    Of course I would want them dead, just like the DPD wanted the shooter dead without a trial. Hence the drone and the explosives and the complete lack of Burger King. That was my whole point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Better question: If you live near Dallas, why aren't you using moonbeams or whatever the fuck Sailor Moon does to handle the situation? You're kind of a shit superhero. Step it up.
    Too busy fighting the Negaverse in my backyard to fight The Dark Moon Clan in Dallas. Sowie!

Better question: If you live near Dallas, why aren't you using moonbeams or whatever the fuck Sailor Moon does to handle the situation? You're kind of a shit superhero. Step it up.
    Because the stranger didn't throw the rose yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Because the stranger didn't throw the rose yet.
    Pretty sure that was Utena.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean the home of Darkwing Duck's evil doppelgänger?
    Nvm. Its apparently the Black Moon clan.

oh god, unintentional comparison!

Also, getting off topic.

Fun fact: This ended up spurring protests in Ft Worth too, and I got told to avoid down town -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact: This ended up spurring protests in Ft Worth too, and I got told to avoid down town -_-
    Can't go anywhere these days. Much safer on the internet

Pretty sure that was Utena.
    No the tuxedo mask guy did it aka Mamoru Chiba

Can't go anywhere these days. Much safer on the internet
    If only there was a group of people dedicated to law and order not being actively hamstrung by the people who inspired the riots.

10+ Year Old Account
    No the tuxedo mask guy did it aka Mamoru Chiba
    Sorry, was my attempt at a bad anime joke. It was bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    If only there was a group of people dedicated to law and order
    Hey I'm right there with you man, I wish we could get more quality cops that are willing and able to protect and serve but I guess we'll have to work with what we got for now.

You seem confused, I don't know where you got this from. That's definitely not how the drones I know of work.

The expansion of police using military gear and tactics against US citizens on US soil is completely unprecedented and as I've shown exponential since 9/11.

Funny how that worked out, isn't it?

Of course I would want them dead, just like the DPD wanted the shooter dead without a trial. Hence the drone and the explosives and the complete lack of Burger King. That was my whole point.
    There was no way he was going to be caught alive. He made that very clear when he kept trying to kill the officers. Your hung up on the cops being revenge killers. The fact that he was heavily armed, had the tactical advantage and was believed to have explosives does not seem to enter your thought process. If they simply wanted him dead they would not have bothered trying to negotiate with him for over 2 hours.

As for the "military gear" look how much things changed after 9/11
    For many tears police were very under geared, still using revolvers in many areas. When body armor became available and criminals started using it, they were forced to do the same. As technology progressed so did the gear the police use. Do you think it is stupid for them to not use the best available gear to get the job done? As the other Poster said the gear they are getting is not exactly state of the art and it is almost all defensive in nature. No Tanks, no Offensive machine guns. The market for non lethals is huge and many depts have adopted them, such as tazers. But Non lethals are not reliable in every situation and if the threat to life is too great, lethal force must be used to end that threat. The police can not win with people like you. They use a non lethal, they are criticized for using them. They dont subdue a perp and they get away and murder another , then they didn't do their job. Maybe you need to go on some ride along with the police to see a small fraction of what they have to put up with every day.
    The DEad babies because the abusive scumbag parents get off on a technicality and ended up killing the kid. The crying kids that are now mother less because the restraining order didnt stop the abusive father. Having to tell the mother that her son or daughter is dead because of a drunk driver. Pulling twisted bodies out of a car that wrapped around a tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey I'm right there with you man, I wish we could get more quality cops that are willing and able to protect and serve but I guess we'll have to work with what we got for now.
    we could also get less people shooting other ppl.

- - - Updated - - -

Then go apply for the force and you teach them how its done.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why I would apply for a job that underpays and is full of corruption just to prove a point to you. As I've said several times now, I'm all for a pay increase as long as it means they can raise their recruitment standards and get some capable officers to work.

- - - Updated - - -

we could also get less people shooting other ppl.
    I agree, in an ideal world a lot of terrible things wouldn't happen. Children wouldn't die from cancer, the prison and military industrial complexes wouldn't exist, unicorns would be real and they would shit out sherbet ice-cream for your delight and amusement.

It's just too bad we don't live in an ideal world, isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    American police tend to either shoot people like that or lock them in psychiatric institutions.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I don't see why I would apply for a job that underpays and is full of corruption just to prove a point to you. As I've said several times now, I'm all for a pay increase as long as it means they can raise their recruitment standards and get some capable officers to work.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, in an ideal world a lot of terrible things wouldn't happen. Children wouldn't die from cancer, the prison and military industrial complexes wouldn't exist, unicorns would be real and they would shit out sherbet ice-cream for your delight and amusement.

It's just too bad we don't live in an ideal world, isn't it?
    Yet we still complain and thing we need that police force from that ideal world. Good thing we got the police force we have now for this fucked up one eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet we still complain and thing we need that police force from that ideal world. Good thing we got the police force we have now for this fucked up one eh?
    From one extreme to the other now? Bad things happen so lets just give police forces with a history of corruption carte blanche to do things like use drones to blow up US citizens on US soil without a trial?