Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    You're willfully ignorant if you think growing up and seeing people that look like you as thugs or criminals doesn't screw with you.
    Well thats just psyc 101. Pretty much if its someone whose actually in your life.

its a different claim that the music snoop dogg makes creates criminals, because if thats true, than the bullshit claim that videogames create mass murderers must also be true.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You're willfully ignorant if you think music will create criminals.
    He didn't say that, so I'm guessing he doesn't think it, soooo... try again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Like i Said fix the problem in their own communities first. Stop playing the perpetual victim card. Stop electing the same politicans they have been for over 50 years who keep enacting the same policies in these communities and expect things to change. Start taking pride in them selves. Stop having kids as a means of income. Start having respect for human life.

A march by a couple of rappers who made their money about being criminals and fuck the police is not going to help a damn thing. It it will do is incite more violence.

Where is the outrage aimed at the politicians in the Black communities that do nothing but profit from their poverty, yet they are relected time and time again
    Pray for this benighted soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thats just psyc 101. Pretty much if its someone whose actually in your life.

its a different claim that the music snoop dogg makes creates criminals, because if thats true, than the bullshit claim that videogames create mass murderers must also be true.
    If video game developers were also mass murderers, your analogy would make more sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Never quoted him until he quoted me. So I never said he said anything to him before that.

soooo try even harder?

Never quoted him until he quoted me. So I never said he said anything to him before that.

soooo try even harder?
    But you presented a strawman that no one suggested like any of us believe that to make a point no one disagrees with. So what exactly is your point here?

7+ Year Old Account
    Well thats just psyc 101.

Well I think when you're a poor black boy with shitty parents and you live in an impoverished community the last thing you need in your life is the image in your head that black people are only good for one thing: being thugs. What you need to see are black laywers, doctors, scientists etc. You get the idea. You can say 'but it doesn't make you into a criminal' all you want, but at the end of the day I think it does influence people. Some more than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    But you presented a strawman that no one suggested like any of us believe that to make a point no one disagrees with. So what exactly is your point here?
    Someone was talking about what snoop dogg promotes, which is through his music

Can music create criminals?

Many on here agree that even though video games simulate extreme violence and war crimes in some cases, that they do not cause violence.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's exactly what I said.

For the reasons mentioned in my comment above.

Culture does affect you. Music is culture. And when you think of Black culture in the US it portrays Black people negatively, which is sad and a bit ironic, because why would anyone portray himself in a bad way? But that's exactly how it is.

People like 'Snoop Dogg' have mislead generations of young black men into believing they can't be doctors or lawyers, only criminals and gangbangers.

Black doctors, engineers etc do exist and they are what kids need to see, not 'gangster rappers' and other questionable individuals.
    Last edited by sheggaro; 2016-07-10 at 02:53 AM.

Someone was talking about what snoop dogg promotes, which is through his music

Can music create criminals?

Many on here agree that even though video games simulate extreme violence and war crimes in some cases, that they do not cause violence.
    No one said music creates criminals, so why go there? Do you think it's a huge problem that lots of people on this forum think that music makes criminals, so you couldn't help but blurt it out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I think when you're a poor black boy with shitty parents and you live in an impoverished community the last thing you need in your life is the image in your head that black people are only good for one thing: being thugs. What you need to see are black laywers, doctors, scientists etc. You get the idea. You can say 'but it doesn't make you into a criminal' all you want, but at the end of the day I think it does influence people. Some more than others.
    Well now we are taking about 2 different things

You are talking about a living situation

My comment was in response to someone talking about a life style being promoted, which in Snoop Dogg's case is music.

- - - Updated - - -

No one said music creates criminals, so why go there? Do you think it's a huge problem that lots of people on this forum think that music makes criminals, so you couldn't help but blurt it out?
    Someone said Snoop Dogg promotes a life style, which is mainly through his music.

You're willfully ignorant if you think music will create criminals.
    You can't ignore the fact that in the 90's and early 2000's rappers glorified the gangster/thug/gangbanger life style. They helped push young men towards gangs such as the bloods and the crips. They glorified defying the police. They glorified crime. And lets face it, many of their fans were/are stupid enough to buy into their bullshit and try to live their lives accordingly.

That's exactly what I said.

For the reasons mentioned in my comment above.

Culture does affect you. Music is culture. And when you think of Black culture in the US it portrays Black people negatively, which is sad and a bit ironic, because why would anyone portray himself in a bad way? But that's exactly how it is.
    Dang it Sheggaro...I thought you were trying to say the influence of the performer caused people to gravitate to the life style. ie. folks in poor inner city communities see drug dealers, pimps, gang bangers, and rappers living large, so they think that's their ticket. And if they see rappers, rolling in dough, acting the thug, they will think they need to emulate that.

If you think the lyrics are what's causing it, then you are forcing me to side with GennGreymane, and truth be told, I don't know if I can forgive you for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    You can't ignore the fact that in the 90's and early 2000's rappers glorified the gangster/thug/gangbanger life style. They helped push young men towards gangs such as the bloods and the crips. They glorified defying the police. They glorified crime. And lets face it, many of their fans were/are stupid enough to buy into their bullshit and try to live their lives accordingly.
    Video games glorify killing police, joining gangs, committing war crimes, killing random civilians etc. Yet research shows they do not create violence

7+ Year Old Account
    Well now we are taking about 2 different things

You are talking about a living situation

My comment was in response to someone talking about a life style being promoted, which in Snoop Dogg's case is music.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone said Snoop Dogg promotes a life style, which is mainly through his music.
    That's exactly what he does.

He promotes a destructive and immoral lifestyle. And considering the conditions of impoverished Black communities, I wouldn't be surprised if people have bought into it.

You see, inner city culture is a huge problem and a huge part of why these people do so poorly compared to everybody else.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's exactly what he does.

He promotes a destructive and immoral lifestyle. And considering the conditions of impoverished Black communities, I wouldn't be surprised if people have bought into it.
    So you are saying the music itself (his vehicle of promotion) creates the violence?

- - - Updated - - -

Dang it Sheggaro...I thought you were trying to say the influence of the performer caused people to gravitate to the life style. ie. folks in poor inner city communities see drug dealers, pimps, gang bangers, and rappers living large, so they think that's their ticket. And if they see rappers, rolling in dough, acting the thug, they will think they need to emulate that.

If you think the lyrics are what's causing it, then you are forcing me to side with GennGreymane, and truth be told, I don't know if I can forgive you for that.
    Have we met? I dont recognize the avatar

7+ Year Old Account
    So you are saying the music itself (his vehicle of promotion) creates the violence?
    No it doesn't create it per se. It doesn't put guns into the hands of people and makes them sell drugs. But it encourages it.

It gives children, young men etc a sense of acceptance and glorification of the criminal lifestyle.

What you are exposed to, especially when young does affect you.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it doesn't create it. But it encourages it.

It gives children, young men etc a sense of acceptance and glorification of the criminal lifestyle.

What you are exposed to, especially in your formative years does impact you.
    Even though something much more immersive, visual, and allows you to actually partake (in a virtual setting) in such actions does not create violence? (Video games)

- - - Updated - - -

Have we met? I dont recognize the avatar
    =) I tend not to bother arguing with your posts due to what I perceive as huge logical fallacies, which typically aren't worth debating. In this case, I have to apologize, 'cause I thought you had neatly crafted a strawman to debunk an argument that no one was making and turns out I was wrong. It was apparently exactly what Sheggaro was saying /shrug. #eggonmyface

Haha oh yes.

The irony is so sweet it hurts.

Generations of Afican-American boys have grown up not looking up to lawyers, doctors or the likes of but to criminals.

Good job, 'Snoop Dogg'.
    Are you suggesting that all white kids are looking up to lawyers and doctors as role models?

I would wager social and economic status plays a much larger role in whether someone becomes a criminal or not.

You're willfully ignorant if you think role models have no influence on children.
    So, regardless of his music in the past, it makes no difference what he's doing *now* as a role model?