Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Dallas PD, and it's sad that they were lumped in with crooked cops a few states away and lost 4 good officers in the tragedy a few days ago. Even after that they had to deal with a bomb threat and threats from a Houston gang. Still they came out of all of this as professional as possible and even now are trying to defuse tensions. Hopefully their officers don't get caught in the cycle and become more paranoid and trigger happy after all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    So he wants to recruit violent rioters.

And people still wonder why there are huge issues with the US police force?
    Not only that, but i imagine that a large portion of the blm protesters are criminals or have a criminal record

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    You seem to forget it was a fucking movie - NO ONE was "successfully court-martialed, and went to prison". Regardless, that is a false statement. The movie ends with Jessup being arrested. You have no idea if he was ""successfully court-martialed, and went to prison". For all you know, Ross got him off with no jail time.

The point of the speech stands. (and it horrifies me to say that since it was written by a liberal/progressive asswipe)
    Forgive me on forgetting the details. It's been a while.

The point of the speech does not stand, not to anyone who respects the rule of law. Jessup was a murdering sht who justified it by claiming essentially " how dare you question the people protecting you? The law doesn't apply to us because we're doing something noble."

F that.

The law applies to everyone, especially fascist shts like Jessup. And FFS, of course he was inevitably headed to prison. He admitted to felonies in open frigging court. Hellooooo, hard labor at Leavenworth.

EDIT: And you're /ignored. I have no use for borderline neo fascist opinions, like supporting the freedom of soldiers to ignore the law because they are employed in a noble task, like Jessup implied.

To paraphrase FDR, I welcome the hatred of the far right.
    Last edited by Berengil; 2016-07-11 at 09:31 PM.

This police chief also fired a ton of cops with excessive force complaints that were corrupt. It's been mentioned several times now that Dallas was a weird place for this to happen because the cops and community are actually rather close and the cops have cleaned up a lot of their act.

There's not fast solution here for the racial problems the United States is facing, these are systemic issues from the founding of the country that much of the nation has turned a blind eye to for too long. Now we know about them, but to fix them will take a very long time. I just hope we have the stomach for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are a church going school boy and have never had a traffic ticket, you cannot work for the DPD.

They have insanely high standards. My friend admitted to smoking a J back in 72. He was told directly it was the reason he was not given a return interview.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    This police chief also fired a ton of cops with excessive force complaints that were corrupt. It's been mentioned several times now that Dallas was a weird place for this to happen because the cops and community are actually rather close and the cops have cleaned up a lot of their act.

There's not fast solution here for the racial problems the United States is facing, these are systemic issues from the founding of the country that much of the nation has turned a blind eye to for too long. Now we know about them, but to fix them will take a very long time. I just hope we have the stomach for it.
    Well said, and the Dallas chief seems like a stand up guy. Great admiration for him.

lol get shit on protestors
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Well said, and the Dallas chief seems like a stand up guy. Great admiration for him.
    He got some serious hate for firing a bunch of cops, people said he was "racist", but then the evidence was released on some of the cops and people were like:

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah. Poeple hate him because he's a reformer. Basically, he's shaking up the corruption. He's the guy everyone should WANT as head cop.

I have no clue about Ft Worths though :s

He also just came out as not really for open carry cause it made their job harder during the event >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm not familiar with Dallas PD's reputation, but it won't work in a lot of places. Miami PD, Baltimore, Chicago, etc won't hire or keep good cops. They don't fit in with the internal culture, and they're a threat to the other cops already there.

Exactly why we have a pig problem. protecting your fellow criminal pig is more important that upholding the law

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Exactly why we have a pig problem. protecting your fellow criminal pig is more important that upholding the law
    You mean the same problem plaguing the communities good cops try to police? "Don't talk to the cops, they're all out to get us"

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Yeah because calling police derogatory names is TOTALLY contributing to a solution /rolleyes

I think it's a good idea. The night of the protest, they were interviewing one of the organizers and he was saying they need their own things like banks, businesses, and policing, sounds like the police chief is willing to help with that.

7+ Year Old Account
    This seems like nonsense. So if I'm not a firefigher I cannot complain about the poor service of firefighters, the same with doctors, etc. I understand the idea behind this, but people have the right to complain and of the authorities to answer to people's complaints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    This seems like nonsense. So if I'm not a firefigher I cannot complain about the poor service of firefighters, the same with doctors, etc. I understand the idea behind this, but people have the right to complain and of the authorities to answer to people's complaints.
    Sure, but if no one steps up to replace the bad cops that do get ousted, you're going to continue to have a problem. Also, coming form a community helps communication with said community. The best way to enact change is to get involved if you feel you can do so.

Its also a 2 way street. If the cops are willing to reform (and this guy is doing so currently), the community needs to meet him half way and stop with the "no snitching" BS that makes their work harder.

I like this idea. People claim they want to improve things. No one is going to do the hard thing and be the cops they claim they want to see. Just complain that they're all racist.

Every chief in the country should say the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Sure, but if no one steps up to replace the bad cops that do get ousted, you're going to continue to have a problem. Also, coming form a community helps communication with said community. The best way to enact change is to get involved if you feel you can do so.

Its also a 2 way street. If the cops are willing to reform (and this guy is doing so currently), the community needs to meet him half way and stop with the "no snitching" BS that makes their work harder.
    Crissi, how dare you try to convince black people to become slaves to the white devil and sell out their brothers. That is disgustingly racist.

(This, along with snitches get stitches, remains one of the prime reasons that working with the law is traitorous in black communities.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but if no one steps up to replace the bad cops that do get ousted, you're going to continue to have a problem.
    I don't know, that whole situation just doesn't seem so appealing to me. Going into a profession that has a long history of corruption and abuse so that you can be paid peanuts and attacked by both your fellow co-workers and the community?

I can't blame people for not being interested in the slightest.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they're going to increase the pay, they wont get anyone. The current cop shortage in Dallas is due to under payment. The good cops leave Dallas for the nearby cities of Arlington, Fort Worth, and others because these cities pay better. That is pretty much the main reason. So while this advocacy to join is noble and all, any who join wont stay.

Basically, blame Dallas City Council for being cheap and undervaluing their police force.
    I doubt it would help much honetly. The more aggressive BLM people or protesters are very much set in their ways.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I don't know, that whole situation just doesn't seem so appealing to me. Going into a profession that has a long history of corruption and abuse so that you can be paid peanuts and attacked by both your fellow co-workers and the community?

I can't blame people for not being interested in the slightest.

And I understand why you feel that way in general. In this specific situation we have a head cop who is reforming the police and kicking out corruption. If a person doesn't want to help that, they're kind of kicking themselves.

I will grant that the DPD are underpaid though.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I understand why you feel that way in general. In this specific situation we have a head cop who is reforming the police and kicking out corruption.
    Attempting and achieving are two very different things.

Looks like he's trying to make an effort at least. I guess we'll see.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov