Does mm really need 2 different focus generators?

In bfa we have rapid fire and steady shot. Both are single target focus generators. It just feels awkward to me idk.

One is on a CD though and deals respectable damage (Rapid Fire), so we want to use it on CD as much as possible. So instead of focus pooling, we need to dump our focus before rapid fire, but not as much that we wouldn't have focus for the next aimed shot. It's something to watch out for to deal optimal dps.
    It's more or less like Lava Burst on Elemental Shaman: generates more maelstrom (-> focus) per time and deals more damage than your spammable maelstrom (-> focus) generator, so you want to keep it on CD without overcapping maelstrom (-> focus)

What is awkward about it is that steady shot gives such little focus gain, whereas you get so much from rapid fire you don't even need to cast steady shot all that much anyways. So if we're to cast steady shot more than twice for every 20 seconds, rapid fire should probably generate less focus and steady shot has to just suck less because right now it's the least used/useful spell in the rotation (and also makes the steady shot-related talents DoA as long as this is the case).

It may look like that, but the good thing is, that you can decide with your talents. You can either choose to buff steady and go for another talent or you can buff rapid fire. The playstyle (when its done right numberwise) can be totaly diffrent with either standing on steady or rapid fire, maybe even both. At least that is my take after trying it out.

should make rapid fire cost a bit of focus to scale with mastery and buff steady shot regen imo

Quote Originally Posted by andreasels View Post
    So instead of focus pooling, we need to dump our focus before rapid fire, but not as much that we wouldn't have focus for the next aimed shot. It's something to watch out for to deal optimal dps.
    I think this is quite a nice small thing that adds a bit of skill ceiling. It'll be important to not have too much focus at certain points either.
    It'll be a small skill thing, as with aimed shot now on charges it'll be less punishing to alter your skill rotation (plus it'll be more of a priority system compared to legion where it was very much a rotation).

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    What is awkward about it is that steady shot gives such little focus gain,
    I think people forgot about this a bit, but steady shot has never given a lot of focus in the first place. It was always somewhat of a "simple filler during downtime" than an engaging ability anyway. That's why I always found it odd that people were crying about it being removed, it's not like casting steady shot is so much different than just waiting for focus regen other than a moving cast bar on your screen.
    Maybe it's nice to have back, but you have to see it purely as a filler ability.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    should make rapid fire cost a bit of focus to scale with mastery and buff steady shot regen imo
    So are you advocating making rapid fire not a focus generator at all? Basically making it a single target barrage?

Deleted
    Since passive focus regen was downed by 10, yes you need 2 focus generators.

RF is a focus generator, but wowhead indicate that’s RF is affected by our mastery.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=193468/...niper-training

Is it true?

Deleted
    I don't even think much focus management is really needed or added to the spec by the existence of rapid fire as it currently exists. In combat you'll rarely be at full focus to waste RF ticks (especially if you take any of the talents that require focus) and if you are using RF on CD you really don't need to save enough focus for the next aimed shot since RF even untalented will provide enough for the follow up. Add to this aimed shot having 2 charges it's even less of an issue since as long as you are not capped your not losing anything unless you really need high burst but that sort of pooling of focus and charges would exist regardless of whether RF was a builder or spender. The only game play it adds in practice is burn off more than it generates before using it which is the same as any focus generator really. It seems like it offers a more dynamic skill cap but in reality playing it that play style just in not there, the decision is almost always made for you passively by executing your rotation (more so with focus costing talents). I feel it just makes more sense as a spender and the talents that buff it can then be freed to do something interesting and interactive with the rotation (as long as Steady shot regen is buffed to compensate).

On a separate note I'd like steady to apply some sort of stacking buff to another shot to make it feel a little better to press (likely rapid fire if it was a spender, maybe increasing it's duration by Xs). It would make the kit a little more cohesive in much the same way I think many of the active talents need some sort of extra umph. Maybe roll Serpent sting and explosive shot together. I'm not sure what you could do with piercing shot, maybe apply hunters mark since that talent feels horrible on the gcd (it wasn't so bad when you could macro it to other abilities but then it was a forget about it active talent).

I haven't tried MM since the focus reduction on RF and the nerf to streamline so I'm not sure my critique on the RF > AiS holds so correct me if I'm wrong?
    Last edited by mmocd56b1573ce; 2018-05-25 at 12:40 PM.

Deleted
    Rapid fire just feels like a single target barrage that generates some focus, really boring. I much preferred the arcane shot generator.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like min-maxing rapid fire, so it feels fine to me. Although I'd still take old Wrath-MoP hunter any day.

Given that both active and passive generation have been nerfed, yes we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Aesde View Post
    RF is a focus generator, but wowhead indicate that’s RF is affected by our mastery.

http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=193468/...niper-training

Is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    Given they made mastery just a flat damage buff (evidence this post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...ge=10#post-199 )

Then 1: Yes, it's true

And 2: It already scales.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Given they made mastery just a flat damage buff (evidence this post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...ge=10#post-199 )

Then 1: Yes, it's true

And 2: It already scales.
    Both posts were from before the change though

I like rapid fire. I don't like the animation though... however, I haven't logged in for quite a while now, did they make it look more appealing? ("Rapid Fire's visual effects are not final." ) I find that hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Last I tried it looked awful the animation is so jarring and horrible looking MM Hunter in BfA honestly feels very boring to me now and I've mained one for a long time.

Kinda glad there's loadsa decent new games coming out so I don't really have to bother with BfA.
    Yeah I just played it for a bit on beta. It's actually so dreadfully boring. I really don't understand what they were thinking, lol.

Steady Shot falls below the gcd with Steady Focus, so not only is the second stack entirely worthless, the first stack is only worth ~14% cdr, rather than 20%.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that Rapid Fire still doesn't benefit from mastery, though that's absolutely a bug.

Despite overall this new iteration of MM being much better than Legion to me personally (will never beat HFC 4p MM, but nothing will), the animation on RF is atrocious. That they’ve said it’s not final is good news, but the sooner my toon can stop having seizures whenever I cast it the better!