Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    As a Brit still reeling from the shock of the Brexit vote, don't underestimate the ability of voters to poke the political establishment in the eye.
    Hey, sorry to see you go. Hope you'll reconsider and return in a couple of decades!

Voting simply to cause damage or simply to do the opposite of what people who you have decided is "the establishment" seems like a pretty childish behavior, like a child doing the opposite of what their parents tells them to do just for the sake of being unruly. Not to mention reckless, destructive and idiotic. But then again Donald Trump has proven an extremely juvenile person with the series of name-calling, the recent episode of taking Paul Ryans words about "not being quite there yet" and using them back at him, or just his sheer lack of intellect in critical thinking when it comes to believing all kinds of fake news and conspiracy theories - and some people yet support him. So.. seems to be right up their alley. Let's just hope most voters are more mature than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Hmm we are talking about Trumps views on libel laws. Does Hillary's weakness in the truth area change any of that?
    No, it doesn't, but harping on Trump like he's the only one that lies or says stupid shit bothers me. This is the issue I have with debating politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    No, it doesn't, but harping on Trump like he's the only one that lies or says stupid shit bothers me. This is the issue I have with debating politics.
    Well, this is the thread to discuss Trump...

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Hey, sorry to see you go. Hope you'll reconsider and return in a couple of decades!

Voting simply to cause damage or simply to do the opposite of what people who you have decided is "the establishment" seems like a pretty childish behavior, like a child doing the opposite of what their parents tells them to do just for the sake of being unruly. Not to mention reckless, destructive and idiotic. But then again Donald Trump has proven an extremely juvenile person with the series of name-calling, the recent episode of taking Paul Ryans words about "not being quite there yet" and using them back at him, or just his sheer lack of intellect in critical thinking when it comes to believing all kinds of fake news and conspiracy theories - and some people yet support him. So.. seems to be right up their alley. Let's just hope most voters are more mature than that.

...and that language right there is why people do it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    True, let me guess - Hillary's is one massive circle-jerk with even more Trump hate, right?

I have a feeling I'll be seen as prophetic with that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally found some betting odds on Trump quitting the race early.

Ladbrokes is laying 6/1 odds that Trump will be replaced as the candidate for the GOP.

That promo for a free £50 bet is looking good.

GOP lawyers are allegedly looking into the rules for what happens when Trump quits.
    http://wnep.com/2016/08/03/gop-offic...ing-to-report/

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that. So we'll likely be hearing from more Republicans who denounce Trump come September once they're done with their primaries, not only the couple we've heard from these last few days?

Once again I must say how much I enjoy your posts as of late Skroe, despite being a liberal. I don't know if you are an active member of the Republican Party or just a supporter but I hope you will take an active part in #NeverTrump campaigning out in your community as the election draws near to help educate people on the danger Trump poses to Western democracy, prosperity and security, to make sure he is not even close to winning. Things are looking promising right now, but it's still a long way to go before election day and I take nothing for granted, even though I want to believe that the vast majority of Americans will prove reasonable enough that they do not elect a man like Donald Trump to the most powerful public office in the world.
    I was somewhat active in college and then locally after college. I stopped doing things when the Tea Party, which I consider the Homo Erectus of the Trumpist Legion of Losers infiltrated the party, and then you had moderate Republicans cowed and hard right Republicans start taking the United States, the US Government and the global economy hostage in order to get their way. There is no patriotism in people who who take us to the brink of default, who shut down the government, who damage our global standing, just because they can't stomach accepting half a loaf from Barack Obama.

I mean these fanatics had Richard Lugar primaried. Seriously. What in the blue fuck. He was a STATESMAN who helped end the Cold War peacefully and disarm Russia, and act as a moderating force in the party. And those zealots primaries him because he dare be *gasp* a decent person who treated his political rivals with the respect they deserve? What kind of fucked up moral universe do those people live in?

I'm involved with the NeverTrump movement online. Within the state, my Governor, Republican Charlie Baker (in Massachusetts), was one of the earliest #NeverTrumpers and most Republicans in this state reject trump. There are some functions in September I'm going to take part in and we'll see how that goes.

But being from Massachusetts, we've been freaks within the Republican Party for years. Before the Southern Strategy, Massachusetts was THE Republican state. It was more than that actually... it was the intellectual heartland of Republicanism. For decades didn't have the people, and really the money (compared to New York for example), but this state had the ideas.

The National Party moved on. The State Party never did. And that's why Republicans routinely win State office in a liberal Democratic state. Because instead of tying ourselves in knots over things like Second Amendment absolutionism, or Tax Cuts and nothing but Tax cuts, and instead of slaving ourselves to the religious right, Massachusetts Republicans are highly technocratic and efficiency driven. We want efficient government - not too big, not to small. Cost effective, and paid for responsibility, offering the services that ARE popular and people want at a good price. If liberals in the state act all experimental about pushing the bounds of liberal policy, Republicans act as the check against their impulses and the traditional center of gravity when they move too far. That is how Republicans win in this state. Democrats are the comparatively "radical" party. We're the comparatively "responsible" party, for lack of a better term.

I truly believe the Massachusetts Republican approach gone national will do more than just revitalize the party... it'll be the Democrat's nightmare. This is a moderate country. Socially liberal, economically somewhat-conservative, with a bit of pro-nationalism with due deference to states rights. A republican party existing in that space will dominate elections. The DNC the last day? That was the Republican National Convention, 20 years from now, basically.

In any event, NeverTrump is slowly spinning up it's orbital death ray. Have you seen Mitt Romney lately? I'll tell you what he's up to. He's going around and making sure most of the Republican Party's money men and vote organizers let the Trump campaign die. He and Paul Ryan have a very close relationship - basically Obiwan and Luke Skywalker. He's laying the groundwork for Paul Ryan 2020, but that only happens on the other end of throwing the Trumpists into the abyss.

We're already seeing the rats scurry off the ship, but more than that, we're already seeing the deflector shields of the Trumpists go up. Today for example, Sean Hannity whined on his show about how if Trump loses in November, it'll be the fault of "the Establishment". He lamented the huge numbers of most of the Republican Party's power figures giving a big middle finger to Trump and the Trumpists.

When Trump loses, people like Sean Hannity will try to save themselves. After the Tea Party, this isn't going to happen. Paul Ryan is facing an enraged Freedom Caucus in the House, that is outraged he let one of their members be routed by an establishment figure in Kansas a few days ago. They're so furious they're considering trying to challenge him for the Speaker (or party leadership) seat in 2017. The truth is, that's likely Paul Ryan's warm up act. The Establishment had well enough of the Tea Party going after Republicans, and they've been working to wipe them out for two years already (which is why 2014's election went so much better for them than 2012) before Trump interrupted the entire effort. So Ryan, rather than retreat, is more likely to do what he can to see the Freedom Caucus cut to ribbons over the next two and a half years. He will simply not share Boehner's fate.

Liberals and Conservatives though need to make sure that at the other end of this, there is no life raft for the Trumpists... for Sean Hannity-like figures, for Laura Ingramns, for congressmen who enthusiastically supported Trump, or for rank and file who energetically were pro-Trump. This has to follow them. They can't be allowed to somehow make their way back to the Democrats (those that are really anti-Hillary liberals). They can't be allowed to repackage themselves if they are Republicans.

One #NeverTrump nightmare is really the institutionalization of the Trump surrogates. All those CNN and FoxNews completely terrible people who believe terrible things and defend terrible statements with new terrible statements of their own. They CANNOT go from being "Kristina Pierson, Trump Surrogate" to "Kristina Pierson, Conservative Activist" after this election, because pre-Election it was "Kristina Pierson, Tea Party Express chair" or something. They can't be allowed a third act. They can be politically active, as is their right, but it must be as a member of a far right movement, or far right new party, and not as some kind of hard right-pulling Republican magnet.

The rats all go down with the ship. Every single one of them.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-08-05 at 01:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, and where is your evidence for that? I can't speak for all supporters but I can speak for myself. I can't comment too deeply on Trump's policies because he's fairly vague, as many candidates tend to be. I do however have a rudimentary appreciation for his lack of tact and aggressiveness in an often stifled arena that should be otherwise. So again, the gambling. The statement making.

In other words, I'm not picking him because I think his ideas are so grand. I'm picking him because I know the opposition's ideas and the long, seedy history of their candidate. I'm railing against that while also simultaneously railing against the established Republicans. It's essentially an over-glorified middle-finger to the whole lot within Washington.

So tell me again, how does that mean that I don't have the mental or emotional capacity to "get it"? Pretty sure I get what is going on. All too well.
    That's a dangerous game you're playing. Willfully vote for a man whos in favor of nuclear proliferation, not because you want that (I hope), but to stick it to the corrupt establishment.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2016-08-05 at 01:39 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

7+ Year Old Account
    You may want to go find the "harp on X candidate other than Trump" thread then as this thread is specifically created to discuss Trump. But from what I have read so far you aren't really debating at all. Just like above where I raised a point about Trump's libel law views and you keep avoiding addressing it to bleat about what "bothers" you.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    That's a dangerous game you're playing. Willfully vote for a man whos in favor of nuclear proliferation.
    As far as I see it, they're all ticking time-bombs. I don't think you understand just how revolting I see the whole system as at this juncture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    You may want to go find the "harp on X candidate other than Trump" thread then as this thread is specifically created to discuss Trump. But from what I have read so far you aren't really debating at all. Just like above where I raised a point about Trump's libel law views and you keep avoiding addressing it to bleat about what "bothers" you.
    Because I already addressed it. What more do you want me to say?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I was somewhat active in college and then locally after college. I stopped doing things when the Tea Party, which I consider the Homo Erectus of the Trumpist Legion of Losers infiltrated the party, and then you had moderate Republicans cowed and hard right Republicans start taking the United States, the US Government and the global economy hostage in order to get their way. There is no patriotism in people who who take us to the brink of default, who shut down the government, who damage our global standing, just because they can't stomach accepting half a loaf from Barack Obama.

I'm involved with the NeverTrump movement online. Within the state, my Governor, Republican Charlie Baker (in Massachusetts), was one of the earliest #NeverTrumpers and most Republicans in this state reject trump. There are some functions in September I'm going to take part in and we'll see how that goes.

But being from Massachusetts, we've been freaks within the Republican Party for years. Before the Southern Strategy, Massachusetts was THE Republican state. It was more than that actually... it was the intellectual heartland of Republicanism. For decades didn't have the people, and really the money (compared to New York for example), but this state had the ideas.

The National Party moved on. The State Party never did. And that's why Republicans routinely win State office in a liberal Democratic state. Because instead of tying ourselves in knots over things like Second Amendment absolutionism, or Tax Cuts and nothing but Tax cuts, and instead of slaving ourselves to the religious right, Massachusetts Republicans are highly technocratic and efficiency driven. We want efficient government - not too big, not to small. Cost effective, and paid for responsibility, offering the services that ARE popular and people want at a good price. If liberals in the state act all experimental about pushing the bounds of liberal policy, Republicans act as the check against their impulses and the traditional center of gravity when they move too far. That is how Republicans win in this state. Democrats are the comparatively "radical" party. We're the comparatively "responsible" party, for lack of a better term.

I truly believe the Massachusetts Republican approach gone national will do more than just revitalize the party... it'll be the Democrat's nightmare. This is a moderate country. Socially liberal, economically somewhat-conservative, with a bit of pro-nationalism with due deference to states rights. A republican party existing in that space will dominate elections. The DNC the last day? That was the Republican National Convention, 20 years from now, basically.

In any event, NeverTrump is slowly spinning up it's orbital death ray. Have you seen Mitt Romney lately? I'll tell you what he's up to. He's going around and making sure most of the Republican Party's money men and vote organizers let the Trump campaign die. He and Paul Ryan have a very close relationship - basically Obiwan and Luke Skywalker. He's laying the groundwork for Paul Ryan 2020, but that only happens on the other end of throwing the Trumpists into the abyss.

We're already seeing the rats scurry off the ship, but more than that, we're already seeing the deflector shields of the Trumpists go up. Today for example, Sean Hannity whined on his show about how if Trump loses in November, it'll be the fault of "the Establishment". He lamented the huge numbers of most of the Republican Party's power figures giving a big middle finger to Trump and the Trumpists.

When Trump loses, people like Sean Hannity will try to save themselves. After the Tea Party, this isn't going to happen. Paul Ryan is facing an enraged Freedom Caucus in the House, that is outraged he let one of their members be routed by an establishment figure in Kansas a few days ago. They're so furious they're considering trying to challenge him for the Speaker (or party leadership) seat in 2017. The truth is, that's likely Paul Ryan's warm up act. The Establishment had well enough of the Tea Party going after Republicans, and they've been working to wipe them out for two years already (which is why 2014's election went so much better for them than 2012) before Trump interrupted the entire effort. So Ryan, rather than retreat, is more likely to do what he can to see the Freedom Caucus cut to ribbons over the next two and a half years. He will simply not share Boehner's fate.

Liberals and Conservatives though need to make sure that at the other end of this, there is no life raft for the Trumpists... for Sean Hannity-like figures, for Laura Ingramns, for congressmen who enthusiastically supported Trump, or for rank and file who energetically were pro-Trump. This has to follow them. They can't be allowed to somehow make their way back to the Democrats (those that are really anti-Hillary liberals). They can't be allowed to repackage themselves if they are Republicans.

One #NeverTrump nightmare is really the institutionalization of the Trump surrogates. All those CNN and FoxNews completely terrible people who believe terrible things and defend terrible statements with new terrible statements of their own. They CANNOT go from being "Kristina Pierson, Trump Surrogate" to "Kristina Pierson, Conservative Activist" after this election, because pre-Election it was "Kristina Pierson, Tea Party Express chair" or something. They can't be allowed a third act. They can be politically active, as is their right, but it must be as a member of a far right movement, or far right new party, and not as some kind of hard right-pulling Republican magnet.

I actually welcome the rise of the moderate right. While it will make it far more difficult to win against a moderate right wing, at least the moderate right knows how to compromise to get things done. The vile, obstructionist far right must not be allowed to have any more power in Washington. THEY must be removed, but I welcome competition with the moderate right wing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post

I mean these fanatics had Richard Lugar primaried. Seriously. What in the blue fuck. He was a STATESMAN who helped end the Cold War peacefully and disarm Russia, and act as a moderating force in the party. And those zealots primaries him because he dare be *gasp* a decent person who treated his political rivals with the respect they deserve? What kind of fucked up moral universe do those people live in?

Lol I wonder how this speech sounded in the original Buckley?

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I actually welcome the rise of the moderate right. While it will make it far more difficult to win against a moderate right wing, at least the moderate right knows how to compromise to get things done. The vile, obstructionist far right must not be allowed to have any more power in Washington. THEY must be removed, but I welcome competition with the moderate right wing.
    I have to ask. What constitutes as "far right" in your own mind? I am genuinely curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if I wasn't to vote Trump ultimately because I became scared my "wrecking ball" could potentially cause too much damage by the end of his reign, I wouldn't be voting Hillary.
    Why is she so horrible? While Trump's foot or his school, kept him out of Vietnam. Hillary was the first freshmen president of young republicans in her college. Was the first student graduation speak, at behest of her classmates. While Trump was a tabloid magnet, with his public falling out, USFL debacle, lawsuits for being a slumb lord..... She was mother of the year and then woman of the year in Arkansas. Nagotiated increase in funding for lawyers of those who cannot afford it. Reformed the education system in Arkensas. Served as a board member of Walmart. While Trump was gathering his bankruptcys, she got a healthcare to be the focus point of politics, which gave birth to ACA as a GOP alternative to what was dubbed Hillary care. While Trump was starting mortgage companies at hight of the mortgage bubble and runs a scam university, she served as a congressman from NY. Then ran a failed presidential campaign. Then, while Trump is promising proof if Obama's birth, she is serving as the Secretary of State.

If not to ruin the country, why the hell would you choose Trump out of those two?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Can we have a thread to discuss some third party candidates such as Jill Stein, Gary Johnson and Giant Meteor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: oops wrong thread.

After this week I am loosing my Trumpy feeling
    Just a bad slagging match against a purple heart Muslim American Patriot
    His attitude about Nukes ..what good are they if we do not use them???

Im starting to loose that loving feeling Trumpy...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Can we have a thread to discuss some third party candidates such as Jill Stein, Gary Johnson and Giant Meteor?
    There are threads for them. They're just a few pages back because barely anyone gives a shit about them. Go revive those threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    Because I already addressed it. What more do you want me to say?
    No you didn't. You immediately went to talking about veracity and ignored the points about libel laws. But frankly at this point I see you are here to waste folks time and aren't worthy of anymore of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    The point of discussing someone with no chance of winning?

...and that language right there is why people do it anyway.
    Please elaborate, I'd LOVE to understand that way of thinking.