Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm glad for this. Hopefully other states will follow suit.
    In general, I disagree with hate crime laws. A crime is a crime. One life isn't more important than another. To say that someone who kills me because I'm British and they hate British deserves more time in jail than someone who just kills me for giggles is silly. Why does it overly matter why I'm killing someone? or punching someone? If I am committing a crime then I deserve a fitting punishment for committing the Crime.

Now we try to determine if it was a regular crime, a hate Crime or an act of terrorism to figure out how much we can punish them. It seems we're trying to help vicitims or their families feel special about why they lost someone, which is just the wrong way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Another southern style of legislation that just doesnt work, oh and in typical right wing fashion why dont we see allivesmatter everywhere in this thread? oh thats right it isnt BLM in this case if they had made a stance on murdering blacks being a hate crime i fully expect them to been out in full force with the alllivesmatter racist nonsense
    in this case it'd be AllJobsMatter.

Given that police deaths/risks are very low compared to other common jobs in the US theres no need for them to have special treatment. Amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    People are attacking cops because they are cops. That qualifies as a hate crime.
    They can choose not to be cops. This is just an excuse to excuse police from doing their jobs properly.

Or rather, the classic white conservative 'how can I make X social issue about me' response.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    As much as I hate all these stupid hate crime laws, I must admit that it will be amusing to watch BLM chafe under it.

This is actually a terrible bill. Hate crimes defend those against things that they can't actually choose. This discredits actual hate crimes by adding something that isn't a hate crime. It should be considered "terrorism" or something instead. Not a hate crime though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Maybe this will make the left realize that all hate crimes are stupid.
    Prob. not, they it only works when "They (the left)" call it a hate crime, so unless they propose it or want it, they will bash it.. just earler posts..

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Really?

Why would protecting people draw contempt?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think most people do.

Still, I'm greatly enjoying watching the concern.
    "Contempt of Cop" is a term for basically assault, police brutality and false charges in retaliation for insufficient deference to police.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They can choose not to be cops. This is just an excuse to excuse police from doing their jobs properly.

Or rather, the classic white conservative 'how can I make X social issue about me' response.
    Do you deny that people are attacking cops because they're cops?

It doesn't matter. I can attack people that wear blue jeans because I fucking hate blue jeans. That doesn't make it a hate crime. Yes, I hate blue jeans, but it's not a hate crime.

7+ Year Old Account

Just trying to balance out the black liberal "how can have a way out of taking responsibility for my actions" response.

Hey guys, that thing that's already illegal and will most likely get you killed? Now it's double illegal!
    Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, I'm saying it isn't relevant.

Protected classes exist because these are social demographics at risk for discrimination or disenfranchisement, police do not fall under this category because it is a vocational choice.

Besides, I should think Americans of all people would appreciate violent resistance to oppression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    Just trying to balance out the black liberal "how can have a way out of taking responsibility for my actions" response.
    So you're saying that it's entirely fine to expect cops to behave like criminals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Maybe this will make the left realize that all hate crimes are stupid.
    So confusing! Which side is to blame!

Why would they need a new law when people that kill or hurt a cop end up dead or in prison for 20+ years.

Deleted
    I see the point of the law, in that attacking someone just because they are a part of a certain group is bad. On the top of my head i can't think of another group of people besides the ones already in the law and policemen that get attacked just because they belong in that group. From that perspective it's nice that they also included Firefighters and "emergency medical personel".
    Still that doesn't solve problems from the Police-side. At bare Minimum investigations into misbehaviour of an officer should never be done by the same department.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Why would they need a new law when people that kill or hurt a cop end up dead or in prison for 20+ years.
    Well, as I said, it's going to be used as an extension of "Contempt of Cop" applications. Now, the mass of false charges police file against insufficiently deferential people will be filed as hate crimes.

People are attacking cops because they are cops. That qualifies as a hate crime.
    People aren't born cops >.>

And this wave of violence would stop real quick if bad cops would stop shooting people for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    This is a dangerous precedent, because it could be, in perspective, used to silence those who dislike the elements of the government, passing their vocal concerns for "hate crimes".

Then again, perhaps, that was the purpose of the bill in the first place.
    are you saying that you can silence those who dislike elements of social groups, passing their vocal concerns for "hate crimes" but not government?

seems to me anything that is done in the name of "hate" should be a hate crime.

but then again nowadays "hate" means speaking out against something, so who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    People aren't born cops >.>

And this wave of violence would stop real quick if bad cops would stop shooting people for no reason.
    People aren't born religious either but we still protect that as hate crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    People aren't born religious either but we still protect that as hate crimes.
    Religion is not a vocational choice wherein risk of violence is implicitly accepted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Neither should anyone else, for that matter.

Cause equality, yo!
    It it were not for protected classes I would not be able to marry in most states in this country, so.

Must be nice living in that bubble.