Question Office job - Time at work during which you actually work in %?

I was curious, for those of you that have an office job (doesn't matter which one, although it usually involves a computer, right?), how much % of your daily working time do you actually work?

I can literally have days where I have 25% working time and nothing to do the rest of the day. Then I have days where I work for all 8h, sometimes needing more time.

If I look at it monthly, I'd say I work perhaps around 60-70% of my working time, tops.
    TBH, that sounds really inefficient, but what can you do (I just work here :P)

What about you guys?

10+ Year Old Account
    60-70% sounds about right from studies written. People are productive for ~5 hours of their work day (of course, this will have outliers such as those who work 8+ hours, intensive jobs, etc) - this is why some countries are trying to change number of hours in a workday.

For myself, I end up breaking up my day so I have more productivity, but I have the flexibility for this - many won't. I'll work 4-5 hours, then head home for a bit, work an hour before making dinner, couple hours after dinner, videogames for a few hours, work an hour then bed. Changes slightly on workload.

10+ Year Old Account
    It varies, but I'd say around 60% on average. Of course that's offset by the fact that I often then go home and actually work 3-6 more hours in the evening, and that's 100%. Weekends too.

I tend to work 100% at home, because that's my time and I want to get stuff done fast so I can get back to doing my own thing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

20-80% I'd say.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    ~91.66%

Around 9 hours work day of which I spend 45 min on an obligatory break.

Edit: Oh snap, I jumped the gun. Not an office job. :>

10+ Year Old Account
    .....Lucky SOBs.

Our place is too damn busy. I've constantly got stuff to do and am constantly behind. My only downtime is my allotted break >< Although we do get one hour breaks here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I could be more busy in my job, but my job could also pay me appropriately. So I guess we're even.
    This is the same way I feel.

When I work from my home office, probably 70%. I drive in to the office for meetings a couple days a week, and excluding meeting times, I feel like I'm a lot less productive there. Way too many distractions.

But I also work after business hours on my own time, sometimes later at night and a few hours on most Saturdays.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the day and what I'm working on. If I'm doing routine code review, it's probably lower than if I'm writing the base code for a new application/project. Lots of time that's not really trackable if it's something that involves journal research. Even then, searching through and reading journals all day, it's impossible to get anywhere close to 100% work per time at work. Gotta let my brain rest and stand up/stretch/etc.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I worked in a hotel as the front desk clerk, on paper I worked for 10 hours a day. In reality I worked a combined hour and a half. Twas' an easy job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I worked in a hotel as the front desk clerk, on paper I worked for 10 hours a day. In reality I worked a combined hour and a half. Twas' an easy job.
    Sounds like hard work to me. I would have probably quit after a week or something. I don't like sitting around wondering what on earth to use the time on, when at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Sounds like hard work to me. I would have probably quit after a week or something. I don't like sitting around wondering what on earth to use the time on, when at work.
    I never really sat around. I had a cell on me and was always alerted if someone needed checking in. In that time I'd be on my laptop, OR I'd wander about, see my friend that worked in the ice cream store next door, Or watch a movie or tv show. I actually had considerable freedom. Heck I once napped in the allegedly haunted room way back when.

It was surprisingly fun until the owners got busted for tax evasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Dead honest, 10%.

I just took a promotion which will increase it up to 25% at the most.