Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So would these same students be opposed to a white only cafeteria, or white only gym on campus? I mean if we're going to segregate, lets do it right. Not this half-assed shit.
    With the opinions you post on here, I don't see why you would want to be around the people this is meant to separate anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    \For black students, or for black students who come from poverty? As I mentioned earlier in this post it feels like there are details being left out.
    Then you should prob look into it before defending it.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Yeah, the term "Regressive Left" is just becoming more and more apt by the day. I posted a mini-rant on a friend's facebook post about how modern liberalism is like the bizarro mirror of 1950's ideals, with draconian views on sex (though not because of religious/moral reasons, but an unhealthy obsession with sexual victimhood), tolerating bigotry (as long as the target of bigotry is white, and preferrably a white male), and now, they want to bring back segregation.

Un-fucking-believable.

Here's another article from The College Fix about the whole thing.

Modern liberalism = 1950's values, but for different reasons.
    Aside from how most of the opening of your post is just straight-up malarkey, this isn't even "segregation". It's an option, not a requirement. The segregation policies that were problematic in the 20th Century were based on a hard separation, enforced by law, not a single option.

This is as much "segregation" as Curves gyms are, by focusing on a female clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So would these same students be opposed to a white only cafeteria, or white only gym on campus? I mean if we're going to segregate, lets do it right. Not this half-assed shit.
    This guy gets it. If you're going to go this far, commit fully to making areas and services only for certain races.

You initial post is a hot mess.

Can't imagine this thread will stay open long.

That being said -- although I don't agree with refusing to mix outside your identified *whatever* (gender, race, sexual orientation) I think there is an ENORMOUS world of difference between the forced segregation of the 50s and having a voluntary segregation asked for by the students.

The fact you are trying to mix the two is extremely distasteful.

This is just like having a gay bar, or heck, women's dorms. People generally feel more comfortable when surrounded by the familiar. I don't think that's ultimately best for people, but to claim this is related to liberalism and is bringing back segregation is goofy.
    Except, a straight man can go into a gay bar if he so chooses, and gender segregation for the purpose of privacy has been around forever because it makes sense. This is racial segregation, no matter how much you sugarcoat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Aside from how most of the opening of your post is just straight-up malarkey, this isn't even "segregation". It's an option, not a requirement. The segregation policies that were problematic in the 20th Century were based on a hard separation, enforced by law, not a single option.

This is as much "segregation" as Curves gyms are, by focusing on a female clientele.
    Except white people simply aren't allowed to stay there. That's not an option.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Then you should prob look into it before defending it.
    But it's ok to attack it without looking into it? Mmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

I'm also not entirely defending it. I'm saying I understand the student desire but I've said several times now I don't agree with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    This guy gets it. If you're going to go this far, commit fully to making areas and services only for certain races.
    Frankly I agree that if a campus is going to allow black only *whatever* they should also offer the option to any other race that also wants to do it.

Then it is not racist to open a whites only dorm on a college campus.

Argue that, champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    That being said -- although I don't agree with refusing to mix outside your identified *whatever* (gender, race, sexual orientation) I think there is an ENORMOUS world of difference between the forced segregation of the 50s and having a voluntary segregation asked for by the students.
    Eh, not really true. In the 50s, if you were a white person, you could choose to go to a non-white school, but generally a black person couldn't go to a white school.

This is just the opposite. A black person can choose to go to a non-black dormitory, but a non-black person can't choose to go to their dormitory.

That's pretty much exactly what segregation is. You can make an argument that there's a difference in social power structures there, but it's definitely segregation.

As a liberal myself, I object to the OP's characterization that this is a liberal thing. It's just a stupid thing, as far as I'm concerned.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Separate but equal. That worked in the past, I think.

How long before the blacks in this dorm bitch it isn't as nice at the white dorms.

I do feel bad for someone that chooses to self segregate. The limited life you live by doing so makes me sad that someone would throw something so precious away so carelessly

The schools themselves are calling it segregated housing. And it shouldn't even be an option. This flies in the face of everything that the Civil Rights movement fought and bled for. Do you seriously think that Martin Luther King Jr would approve of segregated housing, even if it isn't forced on all students? Fuck no.

I get that sometimes you just don't want to even risk running into an asshole who will give you shit based on your race/gender/appearance/whatever. I really do. But segregation is not the fucking answer and it shouldn't even be an option.

And you know what Endus? If this were a college offering a WHITE'S ONLY housing option, there's no way in hell you would be defending it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Except white people simply aren't allowed to stay there. That's not an option.
    And?

It seems like a lot of you ignore the power dynamics in play. Swapping the ethnic group in question does not leave the issue the same, because the power dynamics between the two are not the same to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Except, a straight man can go into a gay bar if he so chooses, and gender segregation for the purpose of privacy has been around forever because it makes sense. This is racial segregation, no matter how much you sugarcoat it.
    I'm not arguing it isn't technically segregation -- I'm saying it is no where near comparable to the segregation of the 1950s...and to draw that comparison is absurd.

And as to your bolded point, that's an opinion -- there are dorms that aren't gender segregated and have no issues. And you can make the argument that this option "makes sense" for those students.

You might not agree with that argument, but people aren't unified with the argument for gender segregated housing either. *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe we had something like this at my school as well, it was called the 'New Africa House'. I never really understood why it was there, and I still don't.

These kinds of policies seem to damage race relations, and cause problem where there really weren't any before. I have a feeling that this is born of self-victimization and appeals to higher authority for simple problem solving, as many related policies are.

Except white people don't have the option to live there.

But it's ok to attack it without looking into it? Mmmmmmmmmmmmkay.

I'm also not entirely defending it. I'm saying I understand the student desire but I've said several times now I don't agree with it.
    We're going based off of the information we have, you're just assuming things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You can make an argument that there's a difference in social power structures there, but it's definitely segregation.
    C'mon Reeve. I even called it segregation in the very post you quoted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Then it is not racist to open a whites only dorm on a college campus.

Argue that, champ.
    See above.

Your argument only makes sense if it's made with a willful ignorance of history and context.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    The schools themselves are calling it segregated housing.
    I'm disagreeing with the label, or the suggestion that it's in any way comparable to the 20th Century practices of segregation, not really defending the actual option. I think it's a bit silly and prone to legal attack, but I understand their motives at least.

My issue is mostly the idea that this is "bringing back segregation", which clearly alludes to those earlier practices, which this has no resemblance to.
    Last edited by Endus; 2016-09-07 at 11:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    We're going based off of the information we have, you're just assuming things.
    Are you are assuming you have all the information and can make a complete conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not arguing it isn't technically segregation -- I'm saying it is no where near comparable to the segregation of the 1950s...and to draw that comparison is absurd.

And as to your bolded point, that's an opinion -- there are dorms that aren't gender segregated and have no issues. And you can make the argument that this option "makes sense" for those students.

You might not agree with that argument, but people aren't unified with the argument for gender segregated housing either. *shrug*
    I'm not sure gender segregation is a good comparison to make here; there are quantifiable differences between genders; is the same true for ethnicities? I know the answer is yes, but this is a dangerous road.

10+ Year Old Account
    C'mon Reeve. I even called it segregation in the very post you quoted.
    Fair enough. But I'd definitely suggest that this sort of segregation is ultimately a very bad thing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Are you are assuming you have all the information and can make a complete conclusion.
    No, just commenting based on the information we have, I didn't say we for sure have all the info.