Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And there's quite a bit that hasn't been paid for, and is backed by future generations. That's why they are called unfunded liabilities That's not to say they haven't paid for some of it, but certainly not all. They should be able to have what they put in, nothing more, nothing less.
    Yes, future generations will pay FICA and SS tax just like everyone else does and has been doing for decades. Btw, you dont just retire and get a fat check every month just because you had a job, payments are determined by what you paid in over the course of your working life. Shit job...shit check, good job...good check, so payments are based on what you put in.

As far as medicare goes, thats the FICA tax on your check and I agree that it will get out of hand and we should be on a single payer system. The problem in this country though is how insurance companies work.

@Maletalana I agree, the same divide between older and younger generations has always been there. Im a bit older than most people here and when I was in my 20s, we were always the lazy generation that would never do anything and our country is going to fall because of it lol.

Are there complete idiots in the younger generations? Yes, but most are just young people trying to get into the world and do the best they can with what they have. There are also just as many idiots over 50, and its always going to be this way. We just have to ignore those people from all age groups and move on.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2016-10-19 at 03:24 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    Apparently unlike you, I was raised better.
    He's harassing people in the Brexit thread too, his recent posts are kinda insane. I guess maybe he realised a while back he had gone way too far so now he's just insulting as many people as he can before the banhammer drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    That option seems like the usual "Trololo" option in MMOC polls. I won't be taking it seriously.
    I think that's expected
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

"young people would rather have the world destroyed than vote for either candidate (who will likely not destroy the world) "
    this poll shoes one of two thing. that young people want someone MUCH worse than either candidate to help them destroy the world. or polls are shit.

I mean I kind of agree with the being upset at young people.

If they don't bother to go out and vote. How the fuck can they complain when their own inaction helps lead to this? I voted and my original candidate lost so at least I have a legit complaint about these two. But if you didn't even fucking bother to vote in the primaries you can go fuck yourself.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    but it's not actually a small fraction, is it? Social Security will be insolvent in 17 years, but many of those people that had been paying into it, will still be alive. Someone is going to have to foot that bill, and it will be in the trillions of dollars. Not only that, to prevent it from getting worse, either taxes will have to be increased... again, the retirement age will go up, or benefits will be decreased. That's not even taking Medicare or publicly-backed pensions into account.

It's not an inhumane stance at all. I find it inhumane to think it acceptable for a person to force others to take care of him, because he refused to be responsible for himself. Instead of pushing it onto future generations, the responsible thing to do is to prepare for it yourself. That's what I'm doing. I'm not going to be responsible for saddling future generations with debt.
    It is not the person forcing others to take care of him, it is the society having some basic compassion to fellow human beings and choosing to implement a system that will support them. And it is a small fraction; by 2020 in the US pensions are expected to be ~7.5% of GDP - considering that dozens millions survive off this, this is a pretty darn cheap and effective. Much cheaper than if you actually had to spend your own money to support your parents when they retire.

If you don't feel the need to help others out of your pocket, then maybe you would be better off in a less humane government? Somewhere, say, in Africa, where the government only cares about its members' pockets?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Almost everyone who is poor, is in that position due to the decisions they made in life. The only real exception to that is very young people, whose parents were the ones to make the poor decisions.
    This i do and don't agree with. Some people have had legit bad luck and life just kinda bent them over.

Others handled their money like crap, made bad decisions, turned themselves into a baby factory and in general are wastes of space.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Loads of people worked to get different candidates? It didn't work but they still tried, I know for a fact I did my part during the primary. Can't say the same for some people here.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Yes, future generations will pay FICA and SS tax just like everyone else does and has been doing for decades. Btw, you dont just retire and get a fat check every month just because you had a job, payments are determined by what you paid in over the course of your working life. Shit job...shit check, good job...good check, so payments are based on what you put in.

As far as medicare goes, thats the FICA tax on your check and I agree that it will get out of hand and we should be on a single payer system. The problem in this country though is how insurance companies work.

@Maletalana I agree, the same divide between older and younger generations has always been there. Im a bit older than most people here and when I was in my 20s, we were always the lazy generation that would never do anything and our country is going to fall because of it lol.

Are there complete idiots in the younger generations? Yes, but most are just young people trying to get into the world and do the best they can with what they have. There are also just as many idiots over 50, and its always going to be this way. We just have to ignore those people from all age groups and move on.
    And that money will be going to previous generations, since the SS trust fund will be completely insolvent by 2034. That means I, along with millions of others will have paid into that system, without ever actually receiving any of that money. The problem with the unfunded liability portion of that is only going to get worse. The money that I will be receving will come from the efforts of my children and grandchildren. That is selfish, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    This is the reason that, as a 23 year old who has been actively watching politics for all of 2016, I never ever listen to "older than millennial's" tell me how stupid I am. I have been reading and listening to left and right news sources for as long as I can, in an attempt to learn and understand more.

Maybe I stand out here unlike my peers, but I am fully aware that I have a tiny tiny tiny amount of experience and observations. Because I know this, I know not to open my mouth and complain, I need to be quiet and learn and listen.

That your rhetoric and platform for persuading others that millennial's are garbage is "Boo hoo hoo, the world is out to get ME and ME alone! Oh woe is me! Why is everyone picking on ME ME ME ME ME?!?!?! I AM FLAWLESS, DAMMIT! Whaaaaaa! Just stop it world, give me my safe place! I'm a special snowflake!!!!"

... Shows how ridiculously out of touch with modernity you are. I have never in my entire long long long life (joke: I'm 23) allowed such a mentality to affect me. The media has exclaimed time and time again how this is the case, and you have gobbled it up like a hungry piglet.

I hope very much so that you sir, are an outlier in your peer-group. Call it naïve, but I maintain faith that the silent majority population of the US is nothing like you, specifically that you would, with seriousness, dismiss an entire generation of individuals from an enormous group, 18-30 year olds, are all blathering, slobbering, self-absorbed cry-babies.

With all due respect, get your head out of your ass.

I didn't commit to serving my country in the military so some old fart could call me a cry-baby and a loser.

BUT MAL THIS WHOLE POST IS YOU COMPLAINING

Yeah, you insulted my ass. I wasn't brought up to sit idly by and cry and whine at people who were different than me just because they're different. I don't point at black people and complain because they act differently than me. I don't ostracize the LGBTQ community because I am a different way than that.

I also don't refer to anyone older than me as a dumb old racist, just like when I am older, I wont refer the generation that will replace me by saying "the self-centered, egotistical, primadonna nature of these 'young people' "

Apparently unlike you, I was raised better.
    <stops reading somewhere around the third or fourth word> See you in a decade or so when you're on the same side, kiddo.

Big Hint: Your brain changes as you grow older. You will see how stupid people your age are when you're not longer your age. It happens to literally everyone. You know, much like how you see 13 year brats as being idiotic, despite DEFINITELY knowing how brilliant, mature, and wise you were at the age (even though you won't admit it now).

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is not the person forcing others to take care of him, it is the society having some basic compassion to fellow human beings and choosing to implement a system that will support them. And it is a small fraction; by 2020 in the US pensions are expected to be ~7.5% of GDP - considering that dozens millions survive off this, this is a pretty darn cheap and effective. Much cheaper than if you actually had to spend your own money to support your parents when they retire.

If you don't feel the need to help others out of your pocket, then maybe you would be better off in a less humane government? Somewhere, say, in Africa, where the government only cares about its members' pockets?
    Is it compassion to forcefully take money from someone, and give it to someone else (including yourself)? That sounds pretty selfish to me. I don't find it compassionate to spend money like a drunken sailor, then expect people who aren't even born yet to pay for it. Compassion would be taking care of yourself, so that others don't have to do it.

I shouldn't have to support my parents (but I will) when they retire. They should have thought of that ahead of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost everyone who is poor, is in that position due to the decisions they made in life. The only real exception to that is very young people, whose parents were the ones to make the poor decisions.
    Okay.

I'm done with you. Try living in your delusional world without chance, but I'm back to reality now, where life is ready to fuck you up any minute, if you "decided" on it, or not!

10+ Year Old Account
    And that money will be going to previous generations, since the SS trust fund will be completely insolvent by 2034. That means I, along with millions of others will have paid into that system, without ever actually receiving any of that money. The problem with the unfunded liability portion of that is only going to get worse. The money that I will be receving will come from the efforts of my children and grandchildren. That is selfish, plain and simple.
    And your children and grandchildren will enjoy a high quality of life from your efforts nowadays. So? It is a circular argument, it doesn't give any basis for moral judgment.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it compassion to forcefully take money from someone, and give it to someone else (including yourself)? That sounds pretty selfish to me. I don't find it compassionate to spend money like a drunken sailor, then expect people who aren't even born yet to pay for it. Compassion would be taking care of yourself, so that others don't have to do it.

I shouldn't have to support my parents (but I will) when they retire. They should have thought of that ahead of time.
    Not "forcefully"; the society has achieved a consensus of this. This is a democracy, mate, everything you disagree with is to an extent "forced", but that's the system you signed up for. If you don't like the system, try to change it, rather than complain about it "forcing" you to do things you don't like.

And that consensus the society achieved partially comes from - what? - right, compassion!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Okay.

I'm done with you. Try living in your delusional world without chance, but I'm back to reality now, where life is ready to fuck you up any minute, if you "decided" on it, or not!
    It's not delusional at all. People are responsible for the consequences of their actions. Most people are poor, because of the choices they've made. I've been poor, and I remember exactly how I got there. And yes, it was my own fucking fault. People need to take responsibility for themselves, and stop expecting others to take care of them. If you are not prepared to deal with the things that come at you in life, that's not everyone else's problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they should be let to themselves, just like you vowed for everyone else, remember? Or is it something different with your parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    Ignoring all the hostile attacks.

Many of us DID go and vote, and then the stupid "super delegates" who apparently get to have more say than us, even though they are singular people in a democracy, chose the other candidate.
    "But I'll completely ignore the fact that even without the super delegates, Sanders still lost."

And yes, I was one of the people who voted for him, too. Doesn't change the fact of the matter.

However, instead of bitching about the state of things now, perhaps you (collectively) should have been more active before it was even allowed to get to the current state. I was, but notice how I'm *not* bitching about it because I realize the only people to blame are the people like *you* who just sat by, waited too long, and are too full of yourselves to accept that the fault is ours (also collectively). But instead of actually accepting that, it's apparently better to bitch and moan and cry on a video game message forum. For Reasons(tm).

We have 20 years to fix that problem, just like when I was in my 20s and it was all about SS going bankrupt by the mid 90s. This same shit gets said every generation and in 100 years those people will be saying the same thing.

Be careful what you wish for......

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    And your children and grandchildren will enjoy a high quality of life from your efforts nowadays. So? It is a circular argument, it doesn't give any basis for moral judgment.

- - - Updated - - -

Not "forcefully"; the society has achieved a consensus of this. This is a democracy, mate, everything you disagree with is to an extent "forced", but that's the system you signed up for. If you don't like the system, try to change it, rather than complain about it "forcing" you to do things you don't like.

And that consensus the society achieved partially comes from - what? - right, compassion!
    No, they are going to be saddled with a huge bill, one that they never asked for. The longer it goes, the bigger that liability gets. It started as soon as SS was implemented, when they purposefully kept the tax rate very low, even though they knew the costs would quickly skyrocket. Through the years, they bumped up benefits in order to buy votes, and also used faulty aging models in order to avoid difficult fiscal issues.

It is done forcefully, since people do not have an actual say in the matter. My children will have to pay a bill for something they never agreed to. As for democracy, that is the quickest path to oppression, because it just takes a majority to decide to take things away from everyone. I would love to change it, but this country is filled with selfish assholes who want to take money from people who are still in diapers. And you have the balls to call it compassion?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    We have 20 years to fix that problem, just like when I was in my 20s and it was all about SS going bankrupt by the mid 90s. This same shit gets said every generation and in 100 years those people will be saying the same thing.
    Actually, we have 17 years to fix the problem, and that's only one of many problems. The most likely answer... will be to raise taxes... again. Like I said, continuing to screw over future generations. That is not compassion, it's pure selfishness.

We really just need a fucking do-over. Both candidates are fucking deplorable. The parties need to come together and agree on giving Obama 4 more years so that this mess can be sorted out.