Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Right, OP did say grizzly bears. Grizzly vs Silverback would be a legit fight.
    grizzly is more than twice the weight. in some cases the males can weight 1500-1700 pounds. silverbacks weight 300-500. and gorillas don't have giant knives on their hands

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    I was always under the impression that if i I wanted to see bears, go to nearby rivers.

Hydration is very important for bears.
    Which is why i included "either by a river fishing"

10+ Year Old Account
    But why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    Death from overheating.
    Grizzlies used to range in the south west deserts of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by waitwutt View Post
    grizzly is more than twice the weight. in some cases the males can weight 1500-1700 pounds. silverbacks weight 300-500. and gorillas don't have giant knives on their hands
    But we could train the gorilla to use katanas or axes.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waitwutt View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

A bear is either just as built or better built than a gorilla.

Add in a thick hid, skull, and big claws and I see nothing but an advantage.

That isn't to say a Gorilla has no chance in hell, but I think the bear wins in most cases.

You are forgetting the Wabbit Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    But why?

Grizzlies used to range in the south west deserts of the US.]
    I did not actually know that... perhaps living standards caused a difference?, slightly smaller and less fat during the hotter seasons? i still think that Australia might be a bit too much, too hot and dry for too long.

California has a Grizzly on it's flag, but the last grizzly died out there long ago.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    I did not actually know that... perhaps living standards caused a difference?, slightly smaller and less fat during the hotter seasons?
    Black Bears here dont bulk up like bears you see in the north. Ive seen black bears in West Texas they look kinda like big dogs more than what we thing bears look like. They are leaner and don't hibernate cause they don't need too.

Last edited by Nathreim; 2016-10-29 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Black Bears here dont bulk up like bears you see in the north. Ive seen black bears in West Texas they look kinda like big dogs more than what we thing bears look like. They are leaner and don't hibernate cause they don't need too.
    Black Bears aren't Grizzlies though, and we were discussing the viability of Grizzlies in Australia.

7+ Year Old Account
    Knowing Australia's deadly animals they would evolve into Yao Guai's or something

I'd imagine they'd all die out pretty quickly. Not enough game for them, no true winters for hibernation so they'd have to be active year round, plus the overall heat.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Black bears not grizzlies.
    Grizzlies don't really live "miles" above sea level either. While some might, 2 miles above sea level is near the tree line for all of n america. 11k feet above sea level and they're pretty much maxing out, and I'm not even sure they get that high (although I've definitely seen them at ~8k).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Grizzlies don't really live "miles" above sea level either. While some might, 2 miles above sea level is near the tree line for all of n america. 11k feet above sea level and they're pretty much maxing out, and I'm not even sure they get that high (although I've definitely seen them at ~8k).
    Regardless they live in higher and more temperate eviroments. I can't see them surviving in straight up desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Regardless they live in higher and more temperate eviroments. I can't see them surviving in straight up desert.
    They used to live in "sky islands" in the midst of deserts. But ya, I don't see them thriving there either.

Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    This is true.

I think it's Black Bears.

Actually, your avatar got me thinking whether or not a Bear could hold its own with a gorilla.
    strong as gorillas are, i don't think they could handle a bear. unless it was one of the smaller species of black bear.

any brown bear or polar bear would just rip the gorilla up.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should just genetically engineer dinosaurs and Make Earth Great Again!

But Grizzly will do well too. I guess they would become new ultimate predators in Australia. Until people decide to release something else there, to dethrone them in turn...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    We should just genetically engineer dinosaurs and Make Earth Great Again!

But Grizzly will do well too. I guess they would become new ultimate predators in Australia. Until people decide to release something else there, to dethrone them in turn...
    grizzlies would do worse than any type of black bear, because grizzlies live in colder climates than black bears. their bodies are just not made to handle as much heat as australia has.

black bears, maybe. they do live in nevada, so it's conceivable that they could survive it. then you have sun bears from india, which might also do well.

black bears breed fast and can become a nuisance animal really quickly. it'd just be a bad idea to do this. besides, the only crocs they'd threaten are the ones that don't usually hurt people, freshies. salties are the ones that kill people, and to a 16ft saltie, a black bear is a nice sized meal.

When my brother was in the CO Rockies, a ranger told him that if he ever gets charged by a black bear, the recommended method to deal with it is to charge back and muscle it to the ground. Black bears are relatively small and light weight when compared to grizzlies, and they'll tend to run when aggressively confronted by a stubborn human of similar weight.
    Of course the recommended method of dealing with a grizzly is climbing a tree if you have the that much a spare moment. If not, play dead...it might work, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    When my brother was in the CO Rockies, a ranger told him that if he ever gets charged by a black bear, the recommended method to deal with it is to charge back and muscle it to the ground. Black bears are relatively small and light weight when compared to grizzlies, and they'll tend to run when aggressively confronted by a stubborn human of similar weight.
    Of course the recommended method of dealing with a grizzly is climbing a tree if you have the that much a spare moment. If not, play dead...it might work, or not.
    Ya, that ranger/you/your brother (choose an option) is full of shit. The preferred method isn't "wrestling it to the ground." You don't even need bear mace as it doesn't always shoot that far. Wasp spray works, and usually shoots further.