Potion of Old War vs Prolonged Power

Hey guys whats up. It's my first topic here and it's just a simple question... For Arms Warrior which potion is better? I'm using Old War but checking the prices at AH made me think about it again. One Old War cost 400g and 1 Prolonged Power 20g and I'm not rich.

Old war potions are really good for arms warriors. A single potion can easily do 6-7 million damage if used at the right time and with enough mastery. Prolonged power potions are only used for clearing trash in mythic+ dungeons

I prepot with prolonged war, and use old war for execute/BL phase of heroic kills. On my server Old war is around 3000g or so, while prolonged war was about 45
    A hero of war, yeah that's what I'll be. And when I come home, they'll be damn proud of me

Really depends on the needs of the group and the content you're doing.

If you're running Mythic+ dungeons, you can be chugging Prolonged Power potions on cooldown to speed the run along while using Old Wars for the boss fights. If you're talking normal or heroic raiding, you could probably get away with just using Prolonged Power, although it will definitely not be as good as Old War potions.

If you're talking about Mythic progression style raiding, get the Old Wars. You need every bit of DPS you can get during progression, and it's worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    Old war potions are really good for arms warriors. A single potion can easily do 6-7 million damage if used at the right time and with enough mastery. Prolonged power potions are only used for clearing trash in mythic+ dungeons
    It can't easily do 6-7mil. 5.5-6 mil is a pretty great old war. 4.5-5mil is probably average.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post

If you're running Mythic+ dungeons, you can be chugging Prolonged Power potions on cooldown to speed the run along while using Old Wars for the boss fights. If you're talking normal or heroic raiding, you could probably get away with just using Prolonged Power, although it will definitely not be as good as Old War potions.

If you're talking about Mythic progression style raiding, get the Old Wars. You need every bit of DPS you can get during progression, and it's worth every penny.
    I´d like to second this
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I exclusively use old war all the time unless theexecute time is going to be longer than 30 secs then im using prolonged power

Made by dubbelbasse

An often overlooked alternative are the gunpowder charges from engineering. 1 leystone ore for 5 of them and deals roughly 1.5 million off-gcd damage in an instant when used with cd's depending on your mastery, plus 20% corrupted blood.

Old War is better, it should especially be used during Bloodlust because the proc rate scales with haste. Because Old War doesn't directly benefit from the damage of your abilities (nor does it contribute to it) you could use 2nd Old War mid fight for example with BC + Avatar, since then you're still getting the effect of the pot without it shortening the Execute phase for you. If you have a few people dead late fight and killing the boss is gonna be a big fat execute phase glory mode then I tend to use Prolonged Power for that long ass execute phase, I haven't a clue if this is actually better though, but I figure if I'm gonna use a pot on a "might wipe" then I'd rather waste a Power than an Old War.

Prolonged Power is obviously a lot cheaper to make though ultimately, I tend to use a mix of both. I like to use Prolonged power on the spiderbird bitch, since it means I can still have it up ready to Bladestorm the first set of spiders after she lifts off.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-11-20 at 04:00 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

PoPP for prepot, Old War for execute phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosmer View Post
    PoPP for prepot, Old War for execute phase.
    Not if you want the most damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Old war *2 works the best for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Double Old War on every fight except Dragons. And that's simply because Old War won't get its full benefit for me on Dragons due to portals.

Deleted
    Old wars for max DPS. Cough up the cash of you want the dips.

2x Old War, but you don't have to save old war for execute time. Save Old War for when you have the max amount of buffs available, aka there's Lust and you have BC/Avatar. Then use it and use the the buffs and go nuts. It doesn't scale off the damage you deal, it scales off your stats and buffs.

To give some napkin math to put this into perspective, your average old war pot probably does around 5mil damage. For a prolonged power to do as much as that, it needs to do 5,000,000 / 60 = 83,333 DPS over its duration. It adds 2500 strength, so in order to add that much DPS, your DPS per point of strength would need to be 83,333 / 2500 = 33.33. In around 880 ilvl gear, I get about 11 dps per point of strength, so a prolonged power is only about 1/3rd as good as old war.

The only situation I can imagine prolonged power ever being better than an old war is during massive sustained AoE, i.e. something like AoEing 10+ mobs for 60 straight seconds, since prolonged power scales with your DPS as you increase the number of targets, while old war does not. It would still take a lot of targets for a lot of time to catch up though.
    Last edited by Xanthan; 2016-11-21 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks for everyone who answer me! I'll keep using Old War on Mythic EN/ToV and PL for Heroics. I think its better for my wallet too.

Prolonged for trash on Mythic +. I prepot and pot with Old War. I forced myself to drop both Engineering and Blacksmithing which I had since ICC due to the really outrageous prices on AH. I picked up Herbs and Alchemy and I'm pretty happy with those two choices. I make very good gold (with cooking skills as well) and I make my own potions. I've also enchanted my shoulders with the Bloodhunter which gives me 1-5 bloods so I get stocked up on Blood very fast. I keep hovering between 530 to 580 bloods every week and I only use them to make me enough potions to last me for a week to 2 weeks.

Since I don't use Dream-whatever herb, I sell it at 200 stacks. Sometimes I get overstocks of Foxflower or Fijar-whatever and I sell those as well.

I feel like Blizzard is going to do something new for the Blood vendors, or introduce new ones which we can purchase other things with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post

Definitely this. Also, make sure to be able to spam every GCD as those proc the Old War, and have CS going of course as you start. (Good idea to combine with BattleCry as you'll spam there and after due to rage buildup)

All you need to know is simply this.
    Prolonged power is a cheaper and less effective option to Old War in the pot category.

Old War is more powerful, and also more expensive.
    Prolonged Power is less powerful, and very inexpensive.