Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    WoW is the Toyota Corolla of the genre.
    Pretty good definition. Corolla isn't a bad car but it's basic and gets you where you need to be.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    What made vanilla better was that it was new. Nothing else.
    Exactly it was fresh, new and dare I say it more friendly than EQ.. Couple folks in my guild told me how some of the things in EQ were a right PITA..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Exactly it was fresh, new and dare I say it more friendly than EQ.. Couple folks in my guild told me how some of the things in EQ were a right PITA..
    People say 1-60 in Vanilla was "the journey" or that levelling "took effort"

In Everquest it was a fucking climb up Mt Everest. Partly because grinding was horrible and partly because when you died you lost XP. Also you did end up deviating from levelling just to do shit with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Pretty good definition. Corolla isn't a bad car but it's basic and gets you where you need to be.
    Ya.
    It's also the best selling car/mmo in history by a substantial margin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Most people hadn't ventured into a virtual world as vast as Azeroth.

Take the shiny new world, first time in an MMO, everyone figuring out how shit works together, and you create a lot of nostalgia and fond memories.

The game systems, class design, etc were not better. Not in any stretch of the imagination.
    Exactly this.
    I can’t think of a single system in-game that is worse than classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    People say 1-60 in Vanilla was "the journey" or that levelling "took effort"

In Everquest it was a fucking climb up Mt Everest. Partly because grinding was horrible and partly because when you died you lost XP. Also you did end up deviating from levelling just to do shit with friends.
    What I was also told was how you would often have people gathering up mobs and training them along, and if you happened to be waiting for a boat or something else and this person came along with their train you ended up getting mauled to death as the mobs would set their sights on you..

The player base became more sophisticated and demanding. In the beginning, simple boss mechanics like avoiding fire or dispelling debuffs were new and exciting. As gamers in general cultivated new skills, the games had to become more complicated.

The actual game is far better than it was but the player base has increased in skill on average.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

10+ Year Old Account
    I know I posted in this thread before but I'm gonna change my mind on something... I said before something along the lines of "it wasnt better it was just different" but I suppose I just didn't know how to word what I was really thinking, so here it is.

It was "better" in that it targeted a more focused audience... Games that only try to appeal to a specific audience generally do whatever it is they are trying to do far better than games that are trying to appeal to everyone.

I'm of the belief that games should pick a group they want to focus on and appeal to them, trying to appeal to everyone just dilutes the experience for everyone.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    What I was also told was how you would often have people gathering up mobs and training them along, and if you happened to be waiting for a boat or something else and this person came along with their train you ended up getting mauled to death as the mobs would set their sights on you..
    Oh hell yeah, training could be brutal. The way it worked in EQ is that mobs didn't leash as long as you were in the zone. So that meant if you were deep in a zone and a pull went bad you had to try and run out. So some people would yell in the zone that a train to entrance or to whatever exit they had so people knew incoming death was on the way. Early on the game trains were brutal, sure, but people were a bit friendlier about trying not to murder their fellow player. As the game got more players though you'd see some real assholes train some of the popular EXP zones and just murder parties.

It was one of the upsides to very long keying raids to unlock certain zones. You knew you were safe from trains if only so many people on the entire server could even enter some of the prime exp areas.

What made trains bad in EQ was the death penalty. You spawned with nothing and had to go back to your corpse and get your gear back. Sometimes this meant calling on people to help you get to your body. On top of that you lost a huge chunk of exp and even the best cleric rezzes in the game wouldn't restore all of your exp. So one death could be a couple hours lost and could just ruin a group and cause you to have to spend more time finding another to join.

Despite all those penalties and problems the game was hella rewarding when you were in a group that was just efficient as hell.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Community was better. literally the only thing. Vanilla as a game is quite Subpar compared to anything after it.

5+ Year Old Account
    What made it better? It was new, exciting, and REFRESHING compared to everything AT THE TIME. It continued a universe which ppl got hooked into in the original Warcraft series. The atmosphere difference is the only thing i wish they'd bring back. There was a SLOW progression to obtaining upgrades, which really shaped you as a player to be more patient and appreciate every upgrade much more. I think that was very important for the community and for the game as a whole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Everything owned was truly earned, back then.
    man you seriously cant take a defeat so that you have to gravedigger this thread?
    get you tinted glasses of man....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    What I remember the most, and miss the most from Vanilla was the fact that your name mattered. You reputation mattered. Now you just sign up for shit and never get to know anyone.
    Back then I made friends while leveling, friends I geared up with at 60, ran dungeons with, started premade BGs with. Now, I can't remember a single soul except those in my guild to be honest. And I hardly even socialize with them
    AND there is the problem. Sillies like you dont socialize and then blame it on the game when in truth YOU are the FLAW. if you dont make friends these days its because YOU chose not to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post

Enough said... People who didn't played back in Vanilla/TBC will never understand others people who did.
    That's a pretty good song, I'm saving it. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    What made vanilla better was that it was new. Nothing else.
    What made vanilla better was:
    * The complete lack of things to do at max level.
    * The elitist nature that prevented many people from doing large chunks of content
    * The massive travel times you had to spend walking from one part of a quest to another
    * The feeling that your character was a poor underprivileged tramp and not a super hero.

Hope I didn't miss anything out.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Basically just the fact that it was more of an actual RPG. It used to feel like an adventure rather than just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    What made vanilla better was:
    * The elitist nature that prevented many people from doing large chunks of content
    * The massive travel times you had to spend walking from one part of a quest to another
    * The feeling that your character was a poor underprivileged tramp and not a super hero.

1. This. Literally your end content was Raiding, Dungeons which became irrelevant once you had Dungeon Tier and BGS.

2. Pretty much this.

3. Eh I don't mind long travel times.

4. I don't mind being a wandering adventurer or a hero. Both are cool imo.

And yet people were never bored and there was always something to look forward to do. Legion may have a lot of content but it becomes obsolete a lot faster. Aside from that vanilla WoW was never even focussed on the end game, it was the 1-60 experience that was the game.

You always had elitists in any game and period of time. You just had to find the right guild that suits you the most, and at least people communicated a lot more.

And how is this even a bad thing? You are in a huge open world, you are SUPPOSED to explore and feel immersed. This is really just a personal thing that you don't like.

........... again... how is this a bad thing? I absolutely hate how I am currently some kind of demigod getting praised by about any major character who used to be good characters themselves.

You never really had anything.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    And yet people were never bored and there was always something to look forward to do.
    LOL - I spent 3-4 hours in IF every night for 6 months jumping into the gap outside the bank and trying to time my iceblocks to freeze me before I landed.

Whilst looking for a raid spot, unsuccessfully.

Not exactly exciting stuff.

You always had elitists in any game and period of time. You just had to find the right guild that suits you the most, and at least people communicated a lot more.
    Wasn't allowed into ANY guilds because I had no raid experience.

And how is this even a bad thing? You are in a huge open world, you are SUPPOSED to explore and feel immersed. This is really just a personal thing that you don't like.
    Sure - between quests, but to have to travel past 5 zones of green bunnies to get to a zone to loot yellow bunny tails for a quest was a little 'artificial' imo.

........... again... how is this a bad thing? I absolutely hate how I am currently some kind of demigod getting praised by about any major character who used to be good characters themselves.
    Having to pick flowers for 100 hours to earn enough gold to buy a mount didn't feel heroic at all to me. Not wanting to be a demigod like today, but back then - you weren't even a low level soldier even at 60.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

For me the only thing that made the game seem more enjoyable back then was the newness of it all and the people i played with and friends i made that have since moved on from the game over the years. Actually looking back, strictly the state of the game and gameplay the game sucked major ass compared to the current iteration IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Basically just the fact that it was more of an actual RPG. It used to feel like an adventure rather than just a game.
    "actual rpg"