Deleted

Horde Let's discuss Gaming headsets and Audio

I have completed my gaming build's visual part with an amazing ultrawide monitor from Acer. Now I want to improve the audio experience of my gaming. I think most of us gamers neglect this part. I did some research on gaming headsets and found out that they are very criticized, you can read here why the best headset for gaming is not a gaming headset. I am convinced that the best solution is to buy a pair of good headphones and a separate microphone to go with it. What do you guys think? Which headsets do you use and what are your opinion about them? Which headphones would you recommend for gaming?

I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force Recon 50 headset. It works just fine for all of my gaming needs. I've also been told by friends that my voice comes through clear and I've never had any trouble with it. The detachable mic is also a nice little feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid brands like Turtle Beach, Razer or anything "gaming" specific. These are like buying "beats by dre" headphones and expecting high quality. They prey on the ignorance of people not knowing any better by making them out of shiny plastic with bright lights and colours.

You are buying a headset, so buy a headphone brand that is reputable. Sennheiser is a good start if you can afford it.

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/gaming-headsets
    Last edited by Chemii; 2017-02-22 at 11:28 AM.

Deleted
    my house mate got a cheap barely used cheap set of Razer Krakens yesterday and i was so impressed I'm actually considering paying full price

Deleted
    I know the trend is separate mic and headphones, but it really depends on what you like. A mic takes up a bit of your desk space, and you need room enough to be able to place it right.
    Personally I'm into headsets.
    What brand etc is something you have to figur out yourself. The first toxic post about brands have already been made (and I disagree with him).

I use a Phillips Fidelio X2 with a random clip-on mic. Only slightly annoying due to the extra wire running around, but it takes up the same amount of space and I'm really happy with the sound. I went with this since I originally bought the Phillips for movies and music, kept using them for gaming too.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends what you're doing, honestly. If you're just talking on Discord or whatever then you really don't need a separate microphone. You're going to pay quite a bit for a standalone microphone that's decent. As much as people criticize the quality of headsets, the quality of separate microphones is even worse up to about the $80~ pricepoint. So if you want to spend $80 on a separate microphone just so you can talk to your discord buddies, well it's your money.

To be honest with you I was perfectly happy with my HyperX Cloud headset, but at present I'm using some pretty nice Sennheiser headphones. For voice chat I"m actually running that through my laptop and just using a pair of earbuds with a built-in microphone underneath my nice headphones.

Basically if you want really good quality you're going to pay a very pretty penny for it, and is it worth it? That depends entirely on your ears. I personally can't tell the difference between say the entry level audiophile experience and the super dedicated cost a fortune audiophile experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite happy with my headphones and standalone mic. While the more "gamer" oriented headsets do sound fine, and the mic is okay, if you want the best performance, you'll want to buy specialized gear (Sennheiser makes quite good headphones from my experience, and Blue makes decent microphones). I'd also suggest getting an amp if you're buying an expensive pair of headphones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vexet View Post
    Let's discuss Gaming headsets and Audio
    In the proper forum, sure. But WoW General Discussion? Nope.

10+ Year Old Account
    How high are your standards?
    My 60 bucks Tritton allows me to hear people and they hear me.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

I have some logitech thing that has worked great. Wireless, noise reduction. I broke the mouth thingy a couple weeks ago when i was drunk off my ass, but it still works audically speaking, it's just physically not... working/sitting how it should. I'm not a target caller though.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stopped using "gaming headsets" after they kept breaking over the 15 or so years I used them, none really lasted more then 3 years of "normal" use. Most cases either the mic went all weird, or 1 side of the headphone just died.

Studio headphones + desktop microphone just seems a far better investment unless your mobile with a laptop or something moving a lot.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-02-22 at 12:55 PM.

Deleted
    Kingston HyperX Cloud II.

I've done a lot of searching and reading the past months and ended with that one. It's perfect in every way, and I really can't understand how a headset this good can exist at that price point.

A studio headphone + desk mic is not feasible for me as I'm traveling a lot for work and my studio headphone is mostly attached to my piano.

"gaming headsets" have usually shockingly awful sound quality (flat, trimmed on high frequency, heavily V shaped characteristics).
    Decent studio headphones + mic with clip are always a good choice.
    Or if you insist on headset check Superlux HMC631 - they sound incomparably better than anything Razer/Logi/Creative ever made for half the price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post
    Avoid brands like Turtle Beach, Razer or anything "gaming" specific. These are like buying "beats by dre" headphones and expecting high quality. They prey on the ignorance of people not knowing any better by making them out of shiny plastic with bright lights and colours.

You are buying a headset, so buy a headphone brand that is reputable. Sennheiser is a good start if you can afford it.

But a "gaming" Sennheiser is ok?

I would go for a good studio headphone and an attachable mic. I have spend 40 bucks and the sound is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemii View Post

I don't get all the audiophile hate towards everything affordable that has "gaming" attached to them

Some of them suck, all my Turtle Beach ones have physically broken from normal use. But claiming that Razer/Logitech kind of brands are not reputable is just badmouthing

10+ Year Old Account
    Recreated in the proper section, so locking this one.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)