Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Fire, Frost or Arcane in 7.2?

Currently playing fire mage, but in patch 7.2 it seems to be useless as... Also with the z-item bonus? We got 1 movement abilities (scorch)

So?? what do you preff? Fire, Frost or Arcane to pve?

I hope you guys can help here.

It's too early to ask these questions. The performance also depends on the fights

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico3337 View Post
    It's too early to ask these questions. The performance also depends on the fights

Well after the "release" of the updates on fire... Its just... Useless xD Sorry might just be me.. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icalledit View Post
    Well after the "release" of the updates on fire... Its just... Useless xD Sorry might just be me.. XD
    This is something to worry about. I have invested a lot of time on fire. And I dont think I can or want to invest same amount of time on frost. Just too exhausting to grind 54 traits on two weapons.

I am not all that hardcore and cant run more than 5-10 Mythic+ a week.

I am so frustrated with my fire DPS right now that I am tempted to just quit raiding and just focus on unlocking all the rare weapon skins on various alts till the next expac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    This is something to worry about. I have invested a lot of time on fire. And I dont think I can or want to invest same amount of time on frost. Just too exhausting to grind 54 traits on two weapons.

I am not all that hardcore and cant run more than 5-10 Mythic+ a week.

I am so frustrated with my fire DPS right now that I am tempted to just quit raiding and just focus on unlocking all the rare weapon skins on various alts till the next expac.
    You don't need to grind 54 on two weapons. The difference between 54 and 35 is 9.5% dmg prior to 7.2. In 7.2 its even less than a gap. The only difference all that extra AP will be about ~3 points into the new points, so you'll barely be behind someone if you want to switch (other than specific legendaries, which it seems like they are allowing you to focus certain ones in 7.2).

^^^ Switching specs is going to be a lot easier in many ways in 7-2. I'm arcane atm and I'm planning on switching to frost. There are currently no mage class tuning changes announced, or hints that there will be. Given the numbers that frost is putting up now, I think it will still be the best option to focus on in 7-2. I also like the frost t20 set bonuses, as they currently stand, more than arcane or fire.

Of course things might change, but I'm currently loot specced frost and am practicing TV rotation in LFR and EN. Fire and arcane will still outperform frost in big AOE fights, but switching to them for those few fights will be easier in 7-2 imo.

Knowing Blizzard, they will let us steadily roll Frost come 7.2, while buffing Fire to make it somewhat even of a spec and leaving Arcane alone to the corner. Then when the First Tomb of Sargeras hotfix comes, they buff Arcane like crazy and we get fucked once again, because we haven't prepared for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
    There are currently no mage class tuning changes announced, or hints that there will be. Given the numbers that frost is putting up now, I think it will still be the best option to focus on in 7-2. I also like the frost t20 set bonuses, as they currently stand, more than arcane or fire.
    There will be changes, Frost and Affliction just scale too well compared to other ranged.

Deleted
    It's hard to tell but: 100% not fire, it feels like blizzard way of thinking is: arcane and frost isn't popular, the solution is to make fire unfun and garbage so people will switch to arcane and frost.

Based on what I see in upcoming changes and how all 3 specs perform I'd say frost will be way to go for 7.2 with Arcane close second and Fire being good for fights like Skorpyron or Tichondrius and people with utility legs should just start leveling fresh mages cause before they will get spec specific legs it will be 7.3 by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    You don't need to grind 54 on two weapons. The difference between 54 and 35 is 9.5% dmg prior to 7.2. In 7.2 its even less than a gap. The only difference all that extra AP will be about ~3 points into the new points, so you'll barely be behind someone if you want to switch (other than specific legendaries, which it seems like they are allowing you to focus certain ones in 7.2).
    The reality is that we did have to grind 2 artifact weapons in ToV and NH. Almost all mages were forced to swap to Frost to remain competitive.

When a spec like fire is behind other dps specs by 20-30% dps (including Frost) like on Krosus/Trilliax but the situation is turned on other fights that Frost is behind other dps specs by 20-30% including fire like on Aluriel/Skorpy. Then the result is that players will need to grind multiple artifacts.

I am one of many that is slowly making the switch to frost since I find the ST/Cleave more valuable in raids but it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard goes ahead and changes things in 7.2. in which mage spec performance will strongly differ again. It feels to me the whole nerf to Fire mage burst (while other classes still have their insane burst) destroyed the ST completely of fire mages.
    Last edited by Celestraza; 2017-02-24 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestraza View Post
    The reality is that we did have to grind 2 artifact weapons in ToV and NH. Almost all mages were forced to swap to Frost to remain competitive.

When a spec like fire is behind other dps specs by 20-30% dps (including Frost) like on Krosus/Trilliax but the situation is turned on other fights that Frost is behind other dps specs by 20-30% including fire like on Aluriel/Skorpy. Then the result is that players will need to grind multiple artifacts.

I am one of many that is slowly making the switch to frost since I find the ST/Cleave more valuable in raids but it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard goes ahead and changes things in 7.2. in which mage spec performance will strongly differ again.
    On those fights you wouldn't need to swap away from frost, as it deals high St. Could just let others deal with the adds. Sure your dps will look less impressive but your boss damage wont

My bet is on frost/arc for 7.2 it can go either way but since i got Kilt already i changed loot spec to frost.

On those fights you wouldn't need to swap away from frost, as it deals high St. Could just let others deal with the adds. Sure your dps will look less impressive but your boss damage wont
    FWIW, I tried Frost with SI/AG/Cms on Skorp .... it's not topping, but I'm not in the bottom either. It could be a solution if you only wanna play 1 spec.

Yeah but sadly fire was the all-round spec before the nerfbat. But yes that is the reason I am swapping to frost.

Too early, number can still change a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    and you think 9.5% extra damage isnt a big deal? lol

I've given up on fire. Already maxed arcane I'm dumping all my AP into frost now.

Well given buff on ptr to fire and if u already have like 2-3 legendaries for fire , might be a ok option to go. Still u gona suck atm in NH on single rly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kheath812 View Post
    and you think 9.5% extra damage isnt a big deal? lol
    This isn't a discussion about things as they stand right now, it's about 7-2. Have you not read up on the changes? Trait 35 is the big 10% dmg buff and if you're at 54 currently, you'll have enough for 3 of the new traits on 7-2 launch day.

Deleted
    I've been Arcane since 3 weeks into the expansion and having cleared 6/10 Mythic I have become somewhat disillusioned with the spec. I enjoy it still, I have the kilt, 54 traits, good ilevel etc but I have to play out of my mind to equal the dps of some of our other members and it's a spec very sensitive to external influence. I've begun grinding out my frost artifact because it puts up good damage and well, it'll be refreshing to not have to deal with Mana anymore, plus by 7.2 I'll have both Frost and Arcane at a good level so I can pick whichever is better.

Frost for raids Fire for M+ as things currently stand.